Guess I'll be spending more time than ever on this forum.......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Now that I don't have anywhere else to browse...Since the SSD on my armchair notebook crashed today and I lost all bookmarks not to mention passwords to probably 25% of those bookmarked sites. Not looking for sympathy, just wondering out loud. I switched the bad SSD out for the original drive from 4 years ago and the netbook is again working well albeit without roughly the past 4 years.

The SSD stopped loading Windows; can anything usually, often, sometimes, maybe be recovered from a bad SSD?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Normally if an SSD dies it is dead. It like the old HDD with platters. Sorry no backup?

my wife is horrid with passwords. So we went old school for her. I got a nice little pocket sized notebook she writes them in.
    Under the iPad case is a page from it with her big ones. Apple ID Facebook emails and bill sites. Not secure in any way for sure.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Might try a password vault. I've been using LastPass

Also, some browsers allow you to sync bookmarks, etc. I use Firefox and it has this capability once you setup an account and then have it sync between all your machines, including phone. Other browsers may do the same.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    ...my wife is horrid with passwords. So we went old school for her. I got a nice little pocket sized notebook she writes them in...

Been storing passwords in a little black book for about a decade; problem was/is it's looking like a lot of them haven't been updated for about a decade. Life goes on and imagine I will too. There's a lot to be said for the wealth of knowledge the home computer age has imparted on our lives; having lived prior, I can also say there's something to the simplicity we experienced before.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    We just ran the free check where Experian searches the www including the "dark web" for illicit/unauthorized use of your email address. How they determine that I don't know and, of course, it is followed by a sales pitch. Nothing came up on mine but they reported finding the wife's email address on the dark web and suggested she change any passwords associated with the address. Took her a while to accomplish it because she used umpteen variations of two or three passwords. All our passwords are now saved on good old fashioned paper and stored in one of the safes.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Speaking of passwords:

Corporate IT updated our password policy to be 12 chars, 1 capital, 1 number, 1 special, cannot contain the same letter or number in sequence (eg: 11 or ee), cannot contain numbers or letters in sequence (eg, 12 or ab), cannot contain a portion of the previous password (can't just put a 1 on the end), and cannot be the same as any of the previous 6 passwords (no recycling).

Literally took me 20 minutes to change my password. I HAD to write it down, as there was no way I would remember it until I have entered it a dozen time. I get to do this again in 90 days.

The real fun? I noticed that one of our self-service password tools (we have 3 ways to change passwords) does not enforce all of the rules, and the password still works across all systems. Mine is only 8 chars, and no number. :D

Top Bottom