• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    [video=youtube;7oNHrvZp6LU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oNHrvZp6LU[/video]

Glad to see the Ranger coming back to the U.S. :patriot:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'd like to see an extended cab with a 6 foot bed. Beds are getting too short.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    What I've heard is that there will be 2 cab configurations. Extended cab with the 6 foot bed and crew cab with the 5 foot bed.

I like the crew cab models, I'm mostly a "recreational and light use" kind of truck guy. I probably don't "need" a pickup, but I like them.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    So, a 'pickup truck' for people who really don't need a pickup truck. The only engine is a 4 cyl and they expect best in class towing? Must be a kindergarten truck class.

Strap on a trailer and every time you hit the gas slap your forehead and say "I could have had a V8!"

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    It's the color of butterscotch. I had a Ranger years ago with a 6 cyl, why the heck would they limit it to 4?

The new 2.3 liter 4 cylinder EcoBoost engine eats the old 4.0 Ranger V6 engine for lunch.

EcoBoost 2.3 liter 4 cylinder
    285 HP @ 5500 rpm
    305 lb-ft of torque @ 2750 rpm

2011 Ford Ranger 4.0 liter V6
    207 hp @ 5250 rpm
    238 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I was pricing Colorados and Silverados the other day and found that there's not much in the way of savings by going small.

Anyhoo,

Yeah, condition butterscotch. Put a 2.7L Ecoboost in it, then you'd have something, but still not for me.

Kevinslaterjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2018
    South bend
    I've went to Australia twice in the last 6 months for work, and both times I've gone there i wonder why they don't market these in the US to compete against the Colorado, Tacoma and Frontier.
    The small truck market is massive over there (they call them Utes), so i really wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing an offering from other brands.
    Mitsubishi and Suzuki to name a couple

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The new 2.3 liter 4 cylinder EcoBoost engine eats the old 4.0 Ranger V6 engine for lunch.

EcoBoost 2.3 liter 4 cylinder
    285 HP @ 5500 rpm
    305 lb-ft of torque @ 2750 rpm

2011 Ford Ranger 4.0 liter V6
    207 hp @ 5250 rpm
    238 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm

I want to see the MPG on that... Ecoboost's suck for mileage while towing or interstate driving...

Recently had one as a rental and was shocked at the great fuel economy, until I took it on the interstate and it fell on it's face. IE, I drove 400+ miles of state highway, stop & go, not over 63 mph and got 22 mpg; put it on the interstate for another 400 miles and it sucked the average down to 17 mpg (that was avg for the whole 800 miles so it had to be getting ~12 mpg on the interstate). As it turns out, that's the same reason my buddy traded his ecoboost in on a new Chevy.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Had the ranger for many years in the 1980’s. Four cylinder five speed manual no frills no AC the small cab no extra seats. Not even a cigarette lighter in the dashboard. Put on a truck cap and drove that thing for years. It had 5 k on it when I bought it at the dealer when it got traded in. (Guy had an unexpected child and did not work for a family car) It was still running with 500k when I sold it. I did put in a new tranny when it went out when we had a day at -23 real temp. I had the u joint go out and a head gasket go once when the water pump failed. Sure that would like a ton of issues but I drove that thing forever and it was cheap when I got it. Figuring the mileage I received driving it for service work I made a ton of money with it. The four cylinder was more powerful than my friends v-6 at the time. I think it was basically a Mazda ? With Ford badges?

it was time to sell it when on the passenger side you could see the road if you moved the floor mats. I still should have keep it.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I want to see the MPG on that... Ecoboost's suck for mileage while towing or interstate driving...

Recently had one as a rental and was shocked at the great fuel economy, until I took it on the interstate and it fell on it's face. IE, I drove 400+ miles of state highway, stop & go, not over 63 mph and got 22 mpg; put it on the interstate for another 400 miles and it sucked the average down to 17 mpg (that was avg for the whole 800 miles so it had to be getting ~12 mpg on the interstate). As it turns out, that's the same reason my buddy traded his ecoboost in on a new Chevy.

I rented a 2017 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 EcoBoost for a trip to New Mexico last summer and averaged 22.5 mpg. Mostly interstate driving, and mostly over 70 mph. Liked it so much that I just bought one. I would think that any EcoBoost engine that is getting 12 mpg is defective and should be looked at. Unless you are pulling a heavy trailer, and a V8 isn't going to do a whole lot better.

The only problem with trading an EcoBoost for a Chevy is that you then own a Chevy. :):

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Heck, my '07 Silverado with a 5.3L and 4 speed auto does 20-21 on the highway.

Top Bottom