• ...and so much more!
  • Do you use Winter Tires?

• Total voters

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    If I were up by the lake I would have them one at least one of the cars. Instead I'm in the southern half of the state, so it's rare that the snow we get stays on the roads for more than a couple days.

I'd have to switch back and forth repeatedly, and I'm not doing that without a lift.

Even this month that's been mostly cold, Indianapolis got up to 57, which will kill winter tires quickly.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Do you realize that Winter tires are not just for snow? They are better when it is cold too, they will provide better traction when the temperature gets below 40 degrees.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Yeah, I added to my post. We don't stay cold long enough. I'd either wear out a set every winter, or I would be switching them a lot.

Don't get me wrong; winter tires are a good thing. But the cost-benefit analysis comes up short where I live.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    My vehicles have a second set of wheels just for the winter tires. Usually you can find someone who put aftermarket rims on their car and get the factory wheels and tires for half price. Use up that rubber and get winter tires. A nice video from Engineering Explained covers the details [video=youtube;TJsV2ORMsms]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJsV2ORMsms[/video]

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Never had a vehicle that would benefit, or that needed, winter tires. Always assumed they were for "sporty" cars that would run dry-pavement tires all summer, and winter tires in the, uh, winter.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Never had a vehicle that would benefit, or that needed, winter tires. Always assumed they were for "sporty" cars that would run dry-pavement tires all summer, and winter tires in the, uh, winter.

There are some good YouTube vids out there of "RWD cars with snow tires vs. AWD cars with all-seasons". Pretty eye opening.

IF I had a rear-wheel drive vehicle, I'd for sure have them. IF I lived north of Lafayette, I'd seriously consider them.

As it stands now, I buy my all-season passenger tires mostly based on their snow-traction reviews. (as long as the dry traction is also high). I currently have Perelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires on my Altima. Good price from Discount Tire.

And I just put a set of Michelin Premier LTX on our Kia Sedona. GREAT price from Costco.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I have these on my truck, they did great in this snow.
    TrailDiggerMT.jpg

My Lancer stays parked until the roads are clean again. It has Herculese Raptis tires on it which do great in the snow, but I find other drivers are more of a hazard than I am even with bad tires in the snow. So I'll risk being hit in my 95 K1500 over my Lancer any snowy day.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    never driven anything but RWD until recently. never understood why people think it's so hard. This summer my wife got a minivan :( which is FWD. I don't find it any easier to drive in snow, but it's definitely different.

it often does come down to decent tires. I've driven around people in my RWD who couldn't get moving in their FWD.

Of course, I love my 4x4! Just haven't actually needed it yet this winter or last, however...

-rvb

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Winter (Snow) tires are great for the snow as well as wet and icy roads when it is cold outside. Many people think of the extra traction accelerating and avoiding wheel spin but where winter tires really shine is their ability to stop your car when you have to brake hard on slippery roads as well as grip in the turns so you are less likely to slide out. They have siping (thin cuts) for grip and a rubber compound designed to stay softer for temperatures below 40 degrees. In warmer temperatures they wear more quickly.

If you keep your vehicle 6-8+ years then winter tires really do not cost you more than a set of extra rims (cheap works well for winter). I put mine on around the first snow (Thanksgiving time) and usually take them off around spring break depending on how the winter is going. As a result I am saving the tread on my regular tires so they do not need replaced as soon. The cost of a set of winter tires and rims is cheaper than the deductible for the accident I may avoid.

Long ago I had a Jeep with crappy all season tires. Then I got an Acura RSX (=Civic) and a set of winter tires. The RSX handled better in the winter than the 4WD Jeep and I never missed a day of work. Based on my great experience with the Blizzak tires on the Acura when I got my new Tacoma last year I got a set of Blizzak tires for it too. Between the 4WD, the computer traction control, some sand weights in the bed and the Blizzaks I can barely get any spin with the truck so the fun factor is dialed down but their is no pucker factor when driving on bad roads.

Living in Indiana I was able to get the price I wanted by driving up to South Bend and picking up a set at TireRack.

image_resize.php

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I don't even have off road tires on my 4wd pickup. Strictly highway tread as 99% of my driving dictates my choice of tire, the other 1% of the time I deal with it and I do not "go 4 wheelin' " so it wasn't worth the lower tread life, decreased ride quality, NVH, etc. I also prefer a slightly stiffer sidewall since I tow with my truck.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Winter (Snow) tires are great for the snow as well as wet and icy roads when it is cold outside. Many people think of the extra traction accelerating and avoiding wheel spin but where winter tires really shine is their ability to stop your car when you have to brake hard on slippery roads as well as grip in the turns so you are less likely to slide out. They have siping (thin cuts) for grip and a rubber compound designed to stay softer for temperatures below 40 degrees. In warmer temperatures they wear more quickly.

If you keep your vehicle 6-8+ years then winter tires really do not cost you more than a set of extra rims (cheap works well for winter). I put mine on around the first snow (Thanksgiving time) and usually take them off around spring break depending on how the winter is going. As a result I am saving the tread on my regular tires so they do not need replaced as soon. The cost of a set of winter tires and rims is cheaper than the deductible for the accident I may avoid.

Long ago I had a Jeep with crappy all season tires. Then I got an Acura RSX (=Civic) and a set of winter tires. The RSX handled better in the winter than the 4WD Jeep and I never missed a day of work. Based on my great experience with the Blizzak tires on the Acura when I got my new Tacoma last year I got a set of Blizzak tires for it too. Between the 4WD, the computer traction control, some sand weights in the bed and the Blizzaks I can barely get any spin with the truck so the fun factor is dialed down but their is no pucker factor when driving on bad roads.

Living in Indiana I was able to get the price I wanted by driving up to South Bend and picking up a set at TireRack.

image_resize.php

Blizzaks have a GREAT reputation as a snow tire, siping can be accomplished by many of the bigger shops on just about any tire. My one experience with it didn't prove worth the extra cost but then I tend to avoid most situations where it would really shine.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Many people think of the extra traction accelerating and avoiding wheel spin but where winter tires really shine is their ability to stop your car when you have to brake hard on slippery roads as well as grip in the turns so you are less likely to slide out.
    IMO this is the key that the average driver never thinks about. People only ever consider getting "stuck" in the snow. Never that they might not be able to turn or stop. I can't count the number of arguments I've had with people about putting two new tires on the front of their car because it is FWD (or wrong wheel drive) and they don't want to get stuck. Never mind that they'll throw the car sideways around every corner because the front grips more than the rear of their car. Being in Indiana we're really on the cusp of winter tires. They'll perform great for the winter but for the most part a good set of all season tires will do the job. Even modern AS tires are far superior to what people remember when they were driving RWD cars around all the time.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    IMO this is the key that the average driver never thinks about. People only ever consider getting "stuck" in the snow. Never that they might not be able to turn or stop. I can't count the number of arguments I've had with people about putting two new tires on the front of their car because it is FWD (or wrong wheel drive) and they don't want to get stuck. Never mind that they'll throw the car sideways around every corner because the front grips more than the rear of their car. Being in Indiana we're really on the cusp of winter tires. They'll perform great for the winter but for the most part a good set of all season tires will do the job. Even modern AS tires are far superior to what people remember when they were driving RWD cars around all the time.

If a person is only gonna get 2 new tires at a time, they should go on the rear. Always. Be it FWD, AWD, or 4x4. Rotation during hydroplaning begins at the rear. The best tires need to be back there to hopefully keep the vehicle un-rotated.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    If a person is only gonna get 2 new tires at a time, they should go on the rear. Always. Be it FWD, AWD, or 4x4. Rotation during hydroplaning begins at the rear. The best tires need to be back there to hopefully keep the vehicle un-rotated.

Unless you want to rotate. I put two new tires on the front of my golf cart this summer because it's more fun. :rockwoot:

For a road vehicle, yes, the best tires should always go on the rear.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Pretty untouchable as far as I am ABLE to be in snow in a Subaru with Michelin Defender LTX MS. Michelin says they do EVERYTHING as well as any tire out there, and do SOME things better than most. I tend to agree, having about 20,000 on this set. They cost, but man they are some BAMF for a passenger vehicle that can't get anything more aggressive.

Snow tires in Central/Southern Indiana are a poor investment unless you have your own lift to constantly be changing them in/out for warm season rubber.

-Nate

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Dad used to always have those studded snow tires. He would put them on and take them off himself every year. I leave the same all weather tires on the 4WD year around.

Top Bottom