Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Indianapolis Among Amazon 'HQ2' Finalists - Inside INdiana Business

...INDIANAPOLIS -
    Seattle-based Amazon.com Inc. (Nasdaq: AMZN) has named Indianapolis one of 20 finalists for the location of a second corporate headquarters. The company accepted bids late last year for what it expects to be a more than $5 billion investment that could bring up to 50,000 jobs with it. Chicago and Columbus, Ohio were the other two Midwest cities still in the running.

The city of Fishers has been partners with Indianapolis in the bid attempt since Amazon released a Request for Proposal last year for the new location. A task force designed to guide central Indiana's pitch has been created and its leaders were announced in September by Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett and Fishers Mayor Scott Fadness.

Amazon says its "HQ2" will be "a full equal to our current campus in Seattle." Gary and Hammond also previously attempted to land the massive investment, but were not selected as finalists. The company says Amazon pumped some $38 billion into the city's economy between 2010 and 2016...

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I wonder if they'll bend over and spread their cheeks like they did when United was looking for a location for their (then) new maintenance base? In this case though a little Vaseline in the underwear "might" be worth it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I thought our bigoted social climate was going to force all the good employers to stay away?

Or, maybe our Hoosier Hospitality, low cost of living, and pretty darned good local talent pool are enough to bring in the big guns.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I thought our bigoted social climate was going to force all the good employers to stay away?

Or, maybe our Hoosier Hospitality, low cost of living, and pretty darned good local talent pool are enough to bring in the big guns.

I thought we were out of the running bc of our lack of pub transportation

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Noting that a decision hasn't been made, that belief may be exactly the thing that prevents Indy from getting it.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    "New Jersey proposed $7 billion in potential credits against state and city taxes if the company chooses Newark and sticks to hiring commitments."

If it was me making the decision, that still wouldn't be near enough!

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I forget who it was, but one of Bush's top economic guys said in his confirmation hearing that when his company went through things like this, they already had the location chosen. Then they used municipalities who had no idea they were already rejected to start a bidding war to get the best deal out of the unsuspecting government where they were moving.

My guess is the real list has 1 or maybe up to 3 cities on it. The rest are just pawns.

Edit: it was Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill speaking of his time at Alcoa. Here's a relevant article from NPR that was actually not too bad. There is a video link in the article with the longer quote.

https://www.npr.org/2017/10/18/5569...a-mega-deal-like-amazon-s-hq2-always-worth-it

Last edited:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Woobie, I agree completely. No way are they seriously considering 20 different cities or locales. That is way too many to have on the table. Whether its 1, 3 or 5 - who knows. But the reality of it is that that climate and recreational activities will likely play really big in the selection. Truly doubt if any Northern location is seriously being considered. Much as I would love Indianapolis to get the nod, my guess is the true short list is more like Atlanta, Austin, Dallas, Denver, Miami, Raleigh. OK. That's six. :)

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    They're wanting East. Not sure how far East. But based on current infrastructure and climate, as you pointed out, Atlanta is probably #1. Since Turner is getting old, maybe the Braves will be playing at Prime Field in a few years.

But yeah, go Indianapolis for sure. We do sit at the intersection of 2 major and 2 minor interstates.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine

Where are you finding these people? Last I heard there was a talent shortage. I'm in the construction industry and all the talk about this coming year is companies not being able to find good employees.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Where are you finding these people? Last I heard there was a talent shortage. I'm in the construction industry and all the talk about this coming year is companies not being able to find good employees.
    Sorry. Was thinking more like my own industry (tech) or Amazon HQ (business types). I have no trouble recruiting folks.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Austin populace is rejecting them coming to town. They don't want it. The infrastructure around Austin can't handle the growth they have now. Adding another 50K on top of it is not something the locals want.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Before these announcements were made, someone told me that a realastate company was looking for a lot of property around Hamilton Town Center. The only details the could give was it was for strong economical growth. Later one someone else told me that Amazon had been looking at property in the same area. I think it would be pretty cool if Amazon decided to pick Indy.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Before these announcements were made, someone told me that a realastate company was looking for a lot of property around Hamilton Town Center. The only details the could give was it was for strong economical growth. Later one someone else told me that Amazon had been looking at property in the same area. I think it would be pretty cool if Amazon decided to pick Indy.

Absolutely. Even if you don't want to work for them directly, someone has to service their lift trucks, do their pest control, cater their lunches, etc. It would be good, I'm just not sure of our odds.

Top Bottom