• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I have a plumbing/sewer problem I canÂ’t figure out. Earlier this past summer I had the sewer professionally snaked because of slow draining toilets and bathroom sinks. Everything was good up until about 2 weeks ago. I began noticing gurgling bathroom sinks and occasional slow toilets, but nothing that stopped draining or sewage coming back up. Then one night I put a load of laundry on and found the spare bathroom toilet filling up and over flowing with sewage. Had a sewer guy come out and clear the drain. He broke a clog up and double checked to make sure everything was okay before he left. Fast forward to today. Bathroom drains are again gurgling and slow draining, flushed toilet and water/sewage coming out of shower drain. It appears to be isolated to the bathroom since the kitchen or laundry drains donÂ’t seem to be affected at all.

The house is on septic and was pumped right before we moved in 2 years ago. I have hand augerred the toilets and that hasnÂ’t changed anything. Also tried plunging sinks and toilets with no luck. I have checked the roof ventand that looks clear of any obstructions, I can see water flowing past the vent when a toilet is flushed.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    Sounds like tree roots in the main. He poked a hole in the clog got you flowing, but its not totally clean so couple weeks of stuff hangs up and your clogged again.
    :twocents:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Like 91FXRS said, your professional snakers are opening the pipes enough to get the water to flow, but there's still something in there that is causing it to collect debris, causing another clog. If it all flows out like a champ when the pipes are opened, see that as good news, since it suggests that your septic system is working.

If it's an old house and you've got vitrified clay sewer pipe, and if you also have trees nearby, I'd bet on roots also. But, I've also seen "bellied" lines. That happens when a section of the sewer line sinks over the years and causes a spot where the stuff sits. I have a house that has one of those and it needs attention every once in awhile.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    If you call one of them $89 specials they will clear the clog then send out a camera guy. I had that done and found what I thought was gonna be roots was actually a bad connection between plastic and steel pipe. It was allowing stuff to build up.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Good advice so far. I would bet you have roots that are getting into the pipe between the house & septic tank. Once tree roots find their way in, the only way to permanently resolve is to excavate & replace the failed sections of pipe. A plumber with the ability to inspect the pipe with a camera is worth his weight in gold. Make sure that you have the plumber inspect from your house all the way to the influent of the septic tank and record the distances where roots were found.

The picture below is from a co-worker's septic tank. This is after the roots had been cut & pulled from the influent pipe seen at the top of the picture. there was also a giant root mat that had grown along the floor of the septic tank. Home is less than 15 years old. They experienced the exact same problems you described. Good luck to you!

Last edited:

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    My Dad had the exact problem you described. I have to echo the excellent posts above and say it's probably tree roots in the main line. He had the old sectioned sewer line. We dug it up and replaced with PVC and it's been good for the past 20 years.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    had same trouble and was in the elbow that turn down into the tank.....i would run snake through it and in a couple days it would slow again......got snake with 3in paddle and removed tank lid shoved it through it till i seen it and spun it back and forth big wad of crap came out of elbow and all was good.....

septic is 26 years old......

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Had the sewer guy out today. Had a small blockage the one toilet. He also thinks I have an uneven drain pipe which is causing toilet paper and everything to build up. I have to crawl under the house to check

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I had never had problems with my drains until last year. Figured out the change to a really thick toilet paper was getting stuck on the small ledge dropping into my septic tank....guess ill stick to the thinner stuff now. Have not had a problem since.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Had the sewer guy out today. Had a small blockage the one toilet. He also thinks I have an uneven drain pipe which is causing toilet paper and everything to build up. I have to crawl under the house to check

One of my houses has a 4" ductile iron sewage pipe in the crawlspace. Normally, that's good, solid pipe, but when they installed it in the 1950's, they supported it on wooden cribbing. Over time, the wood rotted, allowing the iron pipe to sag at the lead-soldered joints, forming a belly in the line, that collects debris. One of these day's I'll cut out the iron and replace it with PVC.

Top Bottom