• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Looks as if I might need to be shopping for a battery for my older Explorer. The Optima red top battery in it is 5 years old. It is behaving erratically. There is further testing to be done, but a new battery might be in order. I was hoping for a longer life from the Optima, so this time I'm looking to cheap.

Where do you folks buy your automotive batteries?

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I have rural king batteries in my truck and car. The car one replaced the original after 7 years, and is only a few months old. The truck battery is about 5 years old and doing just fine. Even in the negative temps, the starter barely slowed down. I also have one in my dirt bike, I have no idea when I put it in.

I'm pretty sure Exide makes the Rural kind brand batteries. I know Napa wanted $135 for my car battery and Rural king had it for $50.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I have rural king batteries in my truck and car. The car one replaced the original after 7 years, and is only a few months old. The truck battery is about 5 years old and doing just fine. Even in the negative temps, the starter barely slowed down. I also have one in my dirt bike, I have no idea when I put it in.

I'm pretty sure Exide makes the Rural kind brand batteries. I know Napa wanted $135 for my car battery and Rural king had it for $50.

This ^^^^^^

I have also found the Rural King batteries to be dependable and the cheapest around.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm on the Rural King Exide batteries train as well.
    $50 for a huge battery for my GM and another$ 50 for the Taurus battery.
    Less than half the cost of the local auto parts stores and I have no complaints at all with them. So far... so good.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I was going to suggest Optima, but then I actually read all of your post. I've had them in 4 different vehicles and have yet to have one last less then 10 years.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I just ordered some parts online from Advance Auto to pick up in store. You can get 25% off if you order online this weekend.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I’ve had good luck with batteries from Sams Club. An Exide from Tractor Supply in my Jeep isn’t doing very well but the Jeep sits for several weeks at a time. If I drove it every day it would probably be fine. Best luck has been with OEM Honda batteries. Usually go seven years and just over $100 for a new one at the dealer.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I usually go OEM. Seem to get the best life out of them.
    I even run a big ACDelco in my '64 El Camino. Plenty of power.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I have Rural King batteries in all four of my vehicles.
    Haven't had any issues with them and they are probably the cheapest priced battery you will find.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Hey BW, call Interstate (behind Lowe's on the westside) and ask them if they have a Blem battery for the vehicle. Been using them several times over the last eight years and only had one bad one that they replace at no charge. I think current blem price is $45.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've had good luck with Everstart batteries from Walmart.
    They're made by Johnson Controls and are priced good.

I agree. Last one I had failed at 4 years. 5 year warranty meant that I got credit toward my new battery. Twenty bucks off the new one. I can deal with that. (doesnt mean the RKs arent good too)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks for the info folks! :ingo:

UPS guy suggested Rural King and Interstate blems also.

I was gonna head into town with an old battery for the core charge and buy one today. Tried the Explorer, that has been sitting for a couple days, and it started fine. Hmm. I may need to fiddle around and do some testing before I jump on a purchase.

Indecision. If I can find a battery for 50ish bucks, it'd be good piece of mind. The other side of it is tossing that gawd awful expensive Optima aside, before it's time?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the info folks! :ingo:

UPS guy suggested Rural King and Interstate blems also.

I was gonna head into town with an old battery for the core charge and buy one today. Tried the Explorer, that has been sitting for a couple days, and it started fine. Hmm. I may need to fiddle around and do some testing before I jump on a purchase.

Indecision. If I can find a battery for 50ish bucks, it'd be good piece of mind. The other side of it is tossing that gawd awful expensive Optima aside, before it's time?
    Optima was fantastic when released, nothing like it existed. Plenty of direct fit AGM batteries are available now though. I buy them from advance Auto parts using 20 - 30% of coupons.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    Driving a diesel pick up I don't cut corners on batteries. I buy Interstate mega trons every five years. I usually notice them dropping off on year 4.. And I'm not going to risk the chance of my truck not starting when I need it to start. Those glow plugs (grid heaters) and turning over a high compression motor really beat up batteries. I have a Interstate battery in my dump trailer, it is a deep cycle fork lift battery, and it is 9 years old and still running strong as ever. I keep it plugged into a very good charger/maintainer all winter without taking it out of the trailer. The Interstate battery in my wife's Durango is almost 6 years old and I haven't noticed it dropping off in this cold weather so I might chance it for a while longer. -Jason

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    b-dub, if you happen to be a Sam's Club member, their prices are very good. I got a great price on a Duracell (East Penn Manufacturing) AGM recently.

Top Bottom