• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Without trying to get thrown off the site, nor looking for snarky replies, why is it a requirement to have a pic of an item when listing the For Sale section ? I am not opposed to providing a pic, but I literally have been unsuccessful in multiple tries to get a pic added to a post. I’ve read and reread the tutorial trying to use Tinypic. No luck. I don’t have a computer and, therefore, I am relegated to using an iPad or cellphone.

In the past I literally enlisted the help of a fellow member who had posted for sale ads and attached pics to his own INGO ads. He was unsuccessful trying to help me get my pics to post that were stored in my iPad.

I presume that the most obvious reason to require a pic is to cut down on fraud or to help facilitate good communication between a buyer and seller. I would be willing to attach a photo via email or text from anyone requesting it that had an interest in what I might have for sale.

I’ve sold items on a couple of other sights ( not eBay ) and adding a photo is simple. The steps involve clicking on “add attachment box, look in my photos on my iPad, and clicking on upload a file.” No Tinypic, Photobucket, or other service required. Therefore, I know that adding a pic doesn’t have to be difficult.

Obviously, LOTS of other folks have figured the INGO procedure out. However, it hasn’t worked for me and at least 2 or 3 attempts have resulted in infractions being assessed. So, once again, why the requirement ?

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I think you nailed it with the "to cut down on fraud or to help facilitate good communication...".

Some folks have different opinions of pristine or perfect, and pictures posted in an open thread can at least help to sort that out. I also think it puts buyers on equal footing. I can guess that Mods have had to deal with complaints along the lines of "I responded to the thread first asking for pictures, and the item was sold out from under me while I was waiting...", and they got tired of it.

I'd have to look into the best options now, photobucket was my go to, but you can always host your pics somewhere and link/display them in your thread. Might be easier than uploading to the forum directly from an iPad?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    You can upload a picture directly from a computer on here by using the image posting link above. They don't post as big but people viewing the post can click on it to enlarge it. I use Imgur since Tinypic is owned by the same as Photobucket and that one no longer works. Imgur is pretty easy to use.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you have ever driven a 3 hour turn around to see something that is not as advertised....not even the right make/model you will understand. I have. It sucks.
    There was a time that the phrase..."You know what it looks like" was all to common. Yeah I know but what does "Yours" look like.

The rules are in place for good reasons. It is the way we work things here. This is Ingo not any other site. It really is not difficult to post up a pic here.
    You already know the rule yet you post up an ad with out a pic and wonder why you get an infraction. Look through the ads. 99% have pics. The other 1% just have not been found out yet. We all have to follow the rules. Even me.

This is the easiest way I know of. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...estions/446735-posting-photos-imgur-ingo.html

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Some people consider LNIB to be a pistol with less than six scratches, while I believe is should be none. Pictures help prospective members have an idea about what they are buying. Before we made it a rule to have pictures, we had a great deal of complaints about members not being honest with their descriptions. Pictures help prevent this and mitigate misunderstandings.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    A picture is worth a thousand words. Just to echo the posts above, it is to help the buyer understand what they are getting and to cut down on disagreements over condition etc.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Here is a picture of the dessert I made for Christmas uploaded fom my smartphone. 20171225_105142.jpg

Editing now from computer. It can be done fairly easily from a smartphone, although admittedly difficult with the small fonts. I just posted the above text, as you can see it isn't easy to change the fonts, went into the button for pictures, and browsed my phone for files. On my Samsung J7 Perx it was under "documents" but all the pictures came up.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Doug

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Just to add something else. I don't know what's in your emailed picture or what your computer security is. I have a custom domain catch all email, literally anything you put in front of my domain name becomes my email address. I don't give that out lightly. I have family that doesn't even have my email address because they can't be trusted with it and they don't bother to keep their computer clean either.

I also will not go to some third party site from a link that's posted. I use both an ad blocker and a script blocker, both usually must be disabled or exception rules set just to see those offsite pictures. I keep the security on my system tight for a reason, I've had my information stolen before due to a poor security. Took a long time and lots of hassle to get things straightened out.

It's also just common courtesy to post a picture of what you are trying to sell along with all the relevant information. Sorry, a stock picture is not good enough. I want to see the actual item. The rules may allow for it, (IMO they shouldn't) but as soon as I see that I close the ad.

The day INGO goes back to no pictures required in the classifieds will be the last day that I ever open a page in that section.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I agree that the photo requirement is a wise standard, but I continue to object to the complicated photo post system used on this forum. I can post photos on Taurusarmed.net and on Marlinowners.com in less than a minute. On this forum it generally requires me fifteen minutes. I realize others can do it quicker here, and I have been able to make it work, but this system sucks.

However, the powers that be are not interested in changing it. I have asked. The reply always reminds me how easy it is, there is a training video, and photobucket is easy to use, etc. They even explained once that there is a complicated computer programming issue that makes it impossible for the forum owners to change the system. I understand, there is a system in place, it works, and it is very difficult to change to a more efficient system. Fine, so be it. But the system still sucks.

Bottom line, though, is I can either get used to it or go hang somewhere else. So far, the benefits of hanging with the :ingo: crew outweigh the frustration of the photo system. I seldom sell things here, so it really is a rare event when I need to post a photo. (Of course this contributes the the difficulties I have with the photo system. It is often six months between times when I need to post a photo and I forget how it is to be done in the interval.) So I will just grin and bear it. The world is not perfect.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I agree that the photo requirement is a wise standard, but I continue to object to the complicated photo post system used on this forum. I can post photos on Taurusarmed.net and on Marlinowners.com in less than a minute. On this forum it generally requires me fifteen minutes. I realize others can do it quicker here, and I have been able to make it work, but this system sucks.

However, the powers that be are not interested in changing it. I have asked. The reply always reminds me how easy it is, there is a training video, and photobucket is easy to use, etc. They even explained once that there is a complicated computer programming issue that makes it impossible for the forum owners to change the system. I understand, there is a system in place, it works, and it is very difficult to change to a more efficient system. Fine, so be it. But the system still sucks.

Bottom line, though, is I can either get used to it or go hang somewhere else. So far, the benefits of hanging with the :ingo: crew outweigh the frustration of the photo system. I seldom sell things here, so it really is a rare event when I need to post a photo. (Of course this contributes the the difficulties I have with the photo system. It is often six months between times when I need to post a photo and I forget how it is to be done in the interval.) So I will just grin and bear it. The world is not perfect.

I find that hard to believe myself. All they really need to do is increase our quotas or remove the per user quotas and we can upload to our hearts delight. HOWEVER...

That tweak requires more disk space. More disk space means more money for TexKev et al to spend. (Its not as easy as throwing a retail $50 drive at it like we would for our PC) It also means more bandwidth because now all that data is coming from HIS server, not everyone else's servers. But that all costs money, so I dont blame him entirely.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Download the imgur app. Set up account. Upload directly from the app. Copy and paste the bbcode for the image into your for sale post. Delete images from the imgur once the item sells. tinypic is easy from a phone or a tablet, but the uploader can be very buggy and you instantly lose control of the image. It can be difficult to upload to the forum from a small screen, but it shouldn't take more than a minute or two to upload and insert into the post. I think imgur is by far the fastest and easiest free image host that I've found.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    On this I don't see the big deal. I posted the photo above using NOTHING other than my Galaxy J7 Perx and the photo button on the command menu above. NO computer involved. It isn't a bad pic and I think would be easily acceptable in the marketplace section. I'm not real good with linking videos but pics are easy.

Doug

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

gun.jpg

I googled the word "gun", picked a GREAT representative of one from google images "copied the image", and then pasted it above. What's complicated about that? Or do I have some super secret power that will now be blocked by cheeseburger wielding meanies???:p

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Download the imgur app. Set up account. Upload directly from the app. Copy and paste the bbcode for the image into your for sale post. Delete images from the imgur once the item sells. tinypic is easy from a phone or a tablet, but the uploader can be very buggy and you instantly lose control of the image. It can be difficult to upload to the forum from a small screen, but it shouldn't take more than a minute or two to upload and insert into the post. I think imgur is by far the fastest and easiest free image host that I've found.

And then don't forget to close your ad.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have looked at pics many times and thought, no way. That is way beyond my level of acceptable. I don't want to have to meet someone to decide that.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Thanks for all the replies. I will continue to peruse INGO and state I thoroughly enjoy the site. Further, I realize that it would undoubtedly cost money to simply the process to insert pictures. AND, I certainly understand pics in a For Sale thread facilitates a better understanding of the item(s) being offered for sale.

With that being said, for those really interested a dialogue could be established between potential buyer and seller with pics sent via email or text. Some folks might be reluctant to provide either an email address or cell phone number fearing a compromise of their devices. Regardless, I’ll explore imgur and see what happens. Perhaps I can enlist the help of my 8 year old granddaughter to help me !

Again, thanks all for the responses. :D

Last edited:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    1. I agree that photos are a wise requirement. No complaint.
    2. The powers that be do not want to change the photo system, or choose not to do so. OK, their house, their rules. No problem.
    3. The current photo system sucks. Some have no problem with it, as is the case with Mr. femurphy77. Good on you mate, and a tip of the hat.
    a. But that does not change the fact that every time I want to post a photo it takes 15 minutes. There is always a problem moving it from the location where it is uploaded to the place where I need it to be in order to get the BB code to post the desired thread.
    b. Nor does it change the fact that when I post photos on other forums I can and do complete the task in less than one minute, just as Mr. femurphy77 assures us he can do here (FYI, I am not questioning his assertion, just using his statement as an example). Therefore, the difference is not due to my incompetence or his "super secret power". It is due to the system in use on this forum.
    4. I agree with the OP and maintain my opinion that the current photo system on this forum is less than desired, or "sucks."
    5. Regardless to the failure of the powers that be to heed my demands and comply with my every wish, I am still going to hang around just give everyone else some one to mock about my inferior computer skills.
    6. My advice to the OP: Get used to it. If there is no other alternative, and you cannot get the photo posted, talk to Mr. femurphy77 or churchmouse or Que. They are good folks and will do their best to help you get it done.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have had issues with tinypic and I am computer literate. I prefer postimg.org. Go to postimg.org and click "choose images" and then select the image(s) from your hard drive. Then click on "hotlink for forums" and copy/paste that link into your ad. Done.

Copy/pasted link ( I added a space so it would show up)
    [ url=https://postimages.org/][ img]https://s9.postimg.org/3x5lv14yn/686.jpg[/img][/url]

My purty 686

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    But Murph missed the point.

Sure posting a pic thats already out there on a server is easy. The hard part is getting YOUR picture up there and then linked here. We dont need to see *A* M9, we need to see *YOUR* M9.

I got mine working. but it took some geek skills and some cash to stand up a website. Once the site was up (was going to do that anyway) I just had to find a piece of software on my phone to upload it easily. But what I did is NOT easy nor intuitive for someone to

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Couldn't he snap a photo with his phone, download it to a photo album resident on his INGO account, and then use it in the classies from there? I think that's what you have to do if you want to include a photo in a PM (not totally sure, have only done so once)

Top Bottom