• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I desperately need someone that can trace electrical shorts in a car, preferably on the West side. My 2002 focus decided last night to have the dash periodically go in/out of function after going around a round about.

Anyone got recommendations? Please?

Thanks
    David

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I'm not an expert but have dealt with that kind of stuff many times before and if the whole dash board quit then I would lean more toward the computer having issues instead of a short.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Bad ground or corrosion in the harness, probably at plugs or sockets, but could be anywhere.

Any full service auto shop can handle this.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I did some part time mechanical work for a car dealer a couple of years ago.
    I ran into this on the Focus and Tempos.
    This might not be YOUR problem cause but the alternators and wiring plug to the alternator.
    The car dealer preferred used parts and I quickly noticed a lot of bad plugs on the alternator on cars in the junk yards on those models.
    IT's a thought...

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    This might not be YOUR problem cause but the alternators and wiring plug to the alternator.
    The car dealer preferred used parts and I quickly noticed a lot of bad plugs on the alternator on cars in the junk yards on those models.
    IT's a thought...

this sounds realistic. Had issues with alternator 6 years ago; battery light was flashing in/out as well.

Surgeon, thanks for the recommendation. I will call them today and see about getting it in.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    IT's a thought...

Yup....put on scrap yard parts and bill for new.....:(
    No knock on you as I have worked for such people myself.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    IT's a thought...

How can you tell a bad plug from good?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    OP - need to be more specific. Are we talking about the back lights (when headlights are on), warning lamps, guages or odometer display?

Just as an example the 07 -11 Crown Vics have a common problem with the odometer display (digital) working intermittently until they eventually go out. Seen the same problem on some other Fords over the years. It usually requires replacing the instrument cluster because of a circuit board failure.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Specifically, the entire dash went dead. Not just lights - but entire dash (analog gauges and all). Radio acted up first (I shut it off).

Today, the car was DEAD (no idea yesterday as I was home sick). Jumped it. When hooked to other car before jump, dash worked. After start, dash was dead. Got an appointment at Gasoline on Wed but may have to go somewhere else sooner.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Specifically, the entire dash went dead. Not just lights - but entire dash (analog gauges and all). Radio acted up first (I shut it off).

Today, the car was DEAD (no idea yesterday as I was home sick). Jumped it. When hooked to other car before jump, dash worked. After start, dash was dead. Got an appointment at Gasoline on Wed but may have to go somewhere else sooner.

Right on
    I would start with clean battery terminals and cable ends, and test the battery and alternator. A proper alternator test is important, don't just check voltage. Modern cars are sensitive to low voltage. Often they will start shutting down non essential electronics when voltage drops.

Keep in mind a short refers to a short to ground which a vast majority of time will blow fuses.
    An open circuit causes a loss of power or ground but doesn't blow fuses. <- only important to know when diagnosing

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I had a Mazda 626 that the dash lights went out and took to dealer they did not know what was wrong with it they said maybe this or that would take time and $.
    I did not have the time then to let them mess with it. I took it home the next morning my car was dead, I but it on the charger it started, I then decided to replace battery that fixed all my problems.
    This is just a idea and it worked for me. Good luck

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree with the rainy chicken....This is not a short to ground. There is a supply power issue that could be a low volt problem. Digital dashboards/radio's etc are voltage sensitive.
    The fact the car was dead could be the battery/alternatod but could also be a steady power draw that is pulling on the system. Newer cars never truly sleep. If you let one set it will have issue when you try and start it. Not like the old school.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    drove it yesterday. Fine for a while(5-10 min) then battery light came on ... went off ... and continued. Dash worked about 20 minutes; then stopped. I am done. Dropped it at the shop early (easier than middle of the week late at night). Will definitely post what is found. (there are a couple of other, older issues non-electrical that need to be looked at).

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Just out of curiosity....did you notice if your dome light went out with it?

I have a 2004 F250 I have been driving with this problem for 2 years now. The dash cluster is bad in my truck. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. All gauges go out, the dome light and radio.....it has left me out of gas a couple of times. The problem with repair is you have to send cluster in to have rebuilt, less than $200 but it takes 4-5 days to get it back. I have not been able to go that long without my truck so I have not fixed it yet.

Not sure if this is a Focus problem....but I do know it is a problem with Ford and Chevy.

Top Bottom