• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've been thinking about consolidating my tools into one big chest. I currently tools divided into five smaller boxes cluttering up the counter tops in my garage as well as drawers and one of the cabinets. I don't mind having tools in the drawers but they're a bit overloaded and the cabinets are cheap I'd really like to clear the counter tops so I'd have more room for activities & such so I'm thinking about one of the ginormous tool chests they sell at the big box stores. Here's a pic of what I'm working with now.

Yes, it's messy. It's always messy. When I clean/organize it get messy again almost immediately. I prefer working with my hands rather than organizing with them lol. More counter top space = more room for messy.

uWDFLULh.jpg

Looking for suggestions or recommendations on what is or is not worth the money. I'm not looking to spend more than $1000 so Mac & Snap On aren't options. I've looked (online) at the options from Lowes, Home Depot & Harbor Freight. We have a big Husky box at work which seems to be pretty nice. Having an option to hang side boxes off of it later on would be a big plus since I have a bit of a problem collecting tools, casters are a requirement. Anyone have experience(s) positive or negative to share?

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    For the money the General brand from Harbour Freight cannot be beat. They are heavier, smoother, cheaper and just better than the other brands. The 27" I'm not a fan of but the 44" and larger are the only way to go. I've never had any kind of problem out of them. I have done mechanic work my entire life and now that is the only chest I would buy.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    One of the boys that worked for me bought the big Kobalt boxes for a great price of $1,200 for the pair on sale.
    Stainless models, got the charging station, stereo, clock,etc all factory.
    I helped him professionally install a coffee maker with auto water feed. and we put on a clothes locker on the side as well.
    It worked out very nicely.
    Stainless is good to keep shiny with Old English Lemon oil.
    I'm not a Kobalt fan but they were nice boxes for the money

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The Harbor Freight boxes have held up remarkably well in our shop, especially given the amount of handling they receive from people who could tear up an anvil.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Are you storing those tools in your garage or your kitchen? If you have room go pick up a tool cabinet from Harbor Freight their General tool storage line is good quality. Regardless, it will open up the counter tops to be used as work benches...and cluttered with tools as you leave them out

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    I was very impressed with the harbor freight brand tool boxes. I am planning on going to one large box myself. These and the craftsman professional line have made it to the top of my list. Snap On is nice (my son has a very nice one) but not using them professionally I cannot justify the price. I think the craftsman boxes are a little better quality but the harbor freight wins on price by a fairly large margin.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    One Word....Ball Bearing Drawers :)

Other than that, It's a cabinet ... can't really get a "bad one" as long as your stuff fits just make sure it has

Ball Bearing Drawers

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I just got a Kobalt brand chest from Lowe’s the other day, 2000 series. For some reason the red one still had the Black Friday price tag on it according to the employee. They still honored the price so I ended up paying about $450 rather than $618. It’s think sheet metal, but ball-bearing drawers, not quite as nice as the $2000 “pro series” but enough for my tools in the garage.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-2000-...-Ball-bearing-Steel-Tool-Chest-Red/1000321899
    bottom
    https://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-2000-...all-bearing-Steel-Tool-Cabinet-Red/1000325203

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Not only are they durable, but the HF boxes have ball bearings and locks on the drawers that are set up to manipulate with your fingertip which are very convenient to use as you take hold of the drawer pull.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have a General brand from harbor freight, a couple of the large roll around chests from menards, a Cobalt brand from lowes, and a counter top husky chest from Home Depot. My least favorite, and most expensive one is the Cobalt, drawers won’t stay all the way closed, and the plastic inserts in the grab handles slide from side to side like cheap crap. Love the General brand and the big roll around from Menards, never an issue with any of them. I’d say, for your needs, harbor freight would be the way to go unless Menards has a killer deal going on, then it’s a wash.

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I never purchased a new tool box. It seems there are always enough people changing careers or need cash for one reason or another that I can get a high quality box at 50% of the new cost.

The last box I bought was from a Mac tool truck and it was a turn in from someone that had upgraded. All they wanted to do was get it off the truck. Needless to say, I got a great box for a great price.

There are a lot of deals around for tool boxes.

Top Bottom