• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Working slowly on my bathroom remodel. Demo work has been done, the slab has been cut to accommodate the drain relocation and the new tub is sitting in the opening. That is as far as I got before I started overthinking the project as I typically do. I need to get the drain glued up and the new valve/supply pipes adjusted, which I am rather confident I can do without much trouble.

What has me scratching my head is putting a mortar bed under the tub. I have read and watched videos, but 4.5" of concrete under the tub seems like a large gap to fill. Not only that, but it seems like I am going to have one shot at getting it right or it is going to be a complete disaster. My first thought was to build a wood frame and stick under it, but read it wouldn't be as good and may make a creeking sound over time. So that leads me to the thought of using flat cinder blocks to raise up the floor level and then use a "more reasonable" amount of mortar (1/2"-3/4"). Does anyone see an issue with doing it this way?

I hate my brain sometimes...always overthinking things and making projects harder than they probably need to be.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'd just do the mortar. It's not really structral, it just gives the tub a more solid feel and supports the bottom. We had about 3 inches to fill under a shower pan when we did our project and it works fine. Even though our pan said it wasn't needed, the difference between mortar and no mortar was huge. Of course I'm just n electrician, ymmv!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If its the cost or weight of all that mortar why not get some high-psi foam board as a filler? Lay down 2 inches and you're left with 2.5" to fill with mortar which would still provide adequate mortar bed and would serve to evenly distribute weight over the foam board...

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I'm not visualizing why your tub bottom is so far above floor level since you said you cut into a slab for the drain. What are the "feet" or support points on the bottom resting upon? Do you have a pic?

Jagermeister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Shelby
    One of my showers has a preformed base made out of a plastic foam material and the other shower has the tub sitting on a bed of concrete. For a tub I would do the concrete.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I wanted to come back with an update as I have now have the tub set and wall framed.
    I used ended up using construction adhesive and cinder blocks for a base. Then used a bag of quickcrete sand topping and added about 30 lbs of play sand with it. Used a minimal amount of water to get to make it a damp consistency (like building a sand castle).

3532gl2.jpg

2utsvis.jpg

2nar1uq.jpg

I hope to have the Maax U-tile wall panels up tomorrow if all goes as planned.

Back story to this remodel.
    The prior owners opted to install a small walk in shower when the house was built. With three kids and another one on the way my wife wanted a tub shower combo as it will work better for our family.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I wanted to come back with an update as I have now have the tub set and wall framed.
    I used ended up using construction adhesive and cinder blocks for a base. Then used a bag of quickcrete sand topping and added about 30 lbs of play sand with it. Used a minimal amount of water to get to make it a damp consistency (like building a sand castle).

3532gl2.jpg

2utsvis.jpg

2nar1uq.jpg

I hope to have the Maax U-tile wall panels up tomorrow if all goes as planned.

Back story to this remodel.
    The prior owners opted to install a small walk in shower when the house was built. With three kids and another one on the way my wife wanted a tub shower combo as it will work better for our family.

Wow, real copper pipe with sweated fittings. Impressive ! Good job.

Top Bottom