• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    The title says it all. What is the best way to learn? What is the best method(?) of welding for beginners to start with? Are there classes available or do I just buy a welder and get to practicing?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    My sister just graduated from IVY Tech with her welding associate's, the school arranged for all of her certifications and whatnot as well. Tuition was relatively inexpensive as well, the degree has server her well already IDK if you are looking for a new job but she has not had any trouble finding good employment as a welder.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    My sister just graduated from IVY Tech with her welding associate's, the school arranged for all of her certifications and whatnot as well. Tuition was relatively inexpensive as well, the degree has server her well already IDK if you are looking for a new job but she has not had any trouble finding good employment as a welder.

Not looking for a new job, just a new skill. I'll check it out anyway.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I want to learn too. With my luck though I'll just manage to shock the crap out of myself.

Seems like one of those worthwhile skills to know.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    If classes don't fit your schedule, you could always pick up one of the newer welders that have digital presets that will get you close and allow you to lay decent welds with little experience. Something along the lines of a Lincoln MP210 or Vulcan Omnipro 220. Both are multiprocess machines so you can MIG, TIG and Stick.

POWER MIG® 210 MP Multi-Process Welder

https://m.harborfreight.com/omnipro-220-multiprocess-welder-with-120240-volt-input-63621.html

Not trying to be cheap, but is there a cheaper option?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We could shock ourselves together.

Or poison ourselves. I provided some galvanized scrap to reinforce my roto tiller's cheap stamped body for igotdiesel to weld it. He used his own scrap carbon steel so he didnt suffer the consequences of welding fume fever; basically flu like symptoms due to inhaling the galvanic chemicals that are released into the air during welding. (not recommended)

I had no idea that galvanized isnt safe to weld. Training is important apparently.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Or poison ourselves. I provided some galvanized scrap to reinforce my roto tiller's cheap stamped body for igotdiesel to weld it. He used his own scrap carbon steel so he didnt suffer the consequences of welding fume fever; basically flu like symptoms due to inhaling the galvanic chemicals that are released into the air during welding. (not recommended)

I had no idea that galvanized isnt safe to weld. Training is important apparently.

I had no idea. Thanks for the tip.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    long ago i took welding classes at IVY TECH.

Also a good way is under the watchful eye of a good welder that is also a good teacher.

Stick welding will teach you more of the fundamentals of welding than mig. Then from there you can try tig.

When i was learning, Lincoln had various reasonably priced books to teach. I am sure youtube has many good people posting videos to learn from to get you started enough to learn from your results.

One of the "projects" we had in a class was to lay weld on top of welds on top of welds (forever) until you had a large "block" that the instructor cut up to inspect the cross sections for faults.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1st....what are you wanting to weld. There are several methods.
    1st is just the good old stick welder that limits what you can do to mainly iron based metals.
    2nd is a wire feed. Just about anyone can lay out a good bead with a wire welder. You can do steel/aluminum with a decent one.
    3rd is the Tig. It is the most tedious but also the most versatile.

Talk to the folks down at Sutton Garten about the classes there. I no longer have a wire feed on my rig as I am straight up Tig or I would let you try it out.
    They make same pretty nice portable Mig/Tig capable units.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I took the class at the Art Center a few years ago. It gives you a little intro to stick, MIG, and acetylene, then you can make a little project. I had kind of a feel for it since I'd had to have a mower part welded once. That always makes me decide to learn how to do it myself and picked up a stick welder. I put a 240V circuit in the garage to run the machines. I have an acetylene, stick, MIG, and spot welders, and a plasma cutter now, and I do little things with plans for some projects. I want a TIG one of these days. Yeah, I'm eat up with it.

Galvanizing is a coat of zinc on the steel; there are a couple of ways to apply it. Zinc oxide gas is produced if you go to weld it. As long as you have good ventilation and can avoid breathing it you'll be ok, but it can mess you up, so it's best to avoid.

There's a place on 25th west of Keystone called Steel House where you can get scraps and cutoffs cheap.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Frank - I'll be off work until middle of next week. If you are just looking to learn some basics of welding steel with a wire feed (MIG) I can help you out with that. Just depends what you want to weld and how much you want to invest in equipment.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    What kinds of projects would be your goals? Stick is cheap to buy in but takes more skill than mig and does not work well on thin metals. Lots of guys buy cheap 110v migs and run beads but don't really know how to weld. I recommend some formal training.

Top Bottom