• ...and so much more!
  • r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    I got this from an "old war horse" friend.

"With all the kindness I can muster, I give this one piece of advice to the pop star who is asked to sing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl: save the vocal gymnastics and the physical gyrations for your concerts. Just sing this song the way you were taught to sing it in kindergarten - straight up, no styling. "Sing it with the constant awareness that there are soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines watching you from bases and outposts all over the world. Don't make them cringe with your self-centered ego gratification. Sing it as if you are standing before a row of 96-year-old WWII vets wearing their Purple Hearts, Silver Stars and flag pins on their cardigans and you want them to be proud of you for honoring them and the country they love - not because you want them to think you are a superstar musician. They could see that from your costume, makeup and your entourage. Sing 'The Star Spangled Banner' with the courtesy and humility that tells the audience that it is about America, not you. Francis Scott Key does not need any help." Semper Fi !

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I heard, at least for NASCAR. The long drawn out singing was to time the flyover. I am done with the nfl regardless. But it does makes sense for the flyover to coincide with the national anthem which would be a pain to time just right singing it straight up.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I feel no need to watch a bunch of drug abusers, wife beaters and other various felons play with a ball. I'll be at the range. Good advice on the anthem though.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I heard, at least for NASCAR. The long drawn out singing was to time the flyover. I am done with the nfl regardless. But it does makes sense for the flyover to coincide with the national anthem which would be a pain to time just right singing it straight up.

Getting the FAA to time it right is sometimes a pain. I was in a 4 ship (F4C) flyover of the Peace Bridge at Niagara Falls once for the repatriation of remains of soldiers from the war of 1812, we got into wingtip formation right on time and headed for the bridge when the controller asked us to orbit and descend...through a solid cloud bank...in wingtip formation...yeah, sure, we'll turn and descend through clouds while close enough to shake hands; many expletives were vented on squadron common. A lot of controllers are not pilots and really don't know what they are telling people to do let alone having any concept of timing that doesn't impact quitting time or lunch.

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    Thank you for sharing this, r3126. Your friend is rendering the traditional and respectable way of putting forth the anthem. Like many others, I will not partake of the "whiner bowl" festivities.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    They should go with a good choir. The famous pop stars all think we want to hear their artistic version of it.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Regardless of the setting, the National Anthem really should only be sang one way. And that is the way it was written.
    The only artistic variation of the Anthem that I have ever heard and actually liked was Jimmy Hendricks guitar version.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

How so? Hitting the post is hitting the post. The best the singer can hope to do is stall a second or two at the end . Whether its some contorted 5 minute "look at me" version or sung correctly the post is the post.:dunno::patriot:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Great message for the singer, it's not about you. What people should remember from the singing of the National Anthem at any event is all the men and women behind the country and it's flag. The only reason the singer should be remembered is because they sang the Anthem perfectly.

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    And I thought I was the only American that hates the way these performers screech out our National Anthem. They seem to think we are to see their amazing abilities. This anthem should be treated with respect and not altered. I, too, will not be watching the game.

Top Bottom