• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I've been trying to get into listening to podcasts lately. Normally I listen to music 24/7, but figured between calls at work I could learn a thing or two occasionally instead. The Art of Manliness is probably the best one I've heard so far (although Behind the Blade is right up there) and I listened to this one the other night...

https://www.artofmanliness.com/2017/10/03/podcast-344-art-side-hustle/

I have several side gigs that I do outside of work that I try to get to pay for themselves and then some. Both of them I'd like to make full time when I retire (I'm really done with working for someone else).

So, I am mostly curious if you all have a side hustle or two and what is it?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Exotic dancing at the local old folks home.....I get down to my swim suit....I love it when they put silver certificates up my thigh.....

79f3694787487ff1b70dab698d12063b--mens-swimsuits-vintage-swimsuits.jpg

Husband, father, chef, laundry man and run a museum that sells guns in the gift shop.....

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Amway and essential oils.

It will change your life. Just provide your address and I'll stop by for a visit. I can also demonstrate a nice Kirby vacuum while I'm there. Pizza is always appreciated

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Hanyman, building furniture, car repair and the like. I work for free for family and friends because bad charging them.

On an unrelated note, 99% of my "business" is for family and friends so its not a very efficient side hustle.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    And crafts classic furniture with tractor for hire.....

21st century renaissance man.

Actually, the next project we have is taking a 1986 Wards lawn tractor from boring putt-putt to go-kart speeds. My 12 year old son is pretty excited about this.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Teaching Medical Ethics and Bioethics in a law school.

It appears you like challenge in your recreational activities. ;)

So, like, how much distance to leave between them and the ambulance they're chasing? That kind of thing? I would think teaching ethics to law students would be like herding cats..."well, professor Hough didn't say we couldn't do that..."

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It appears you like challenge in your recreational activities. ;)

So, like, how much distance to leave between them and the ambulance they're chasing? That kind of thing? I would think teaching ethics to law students would be like herding cats..."well, professor Hough didn't say we couldn't do that..."

Heck, the whole point is teaching them where the line is, which is always further down the road than they think it is, then pushing it further.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Making winter hats out of shearling sheepskin, naturalist/guide for hire to other parks, pocket watch repair (if it isn't too complicated), petting the Kitteh (I get paid in cat hair).

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Driving for Uber (seldom these days), contract CAD work, and flight/auto racing simulator design and hardware sales.

Oh, and 2 rugrats. Not much spare time nowadays.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    21st century renaissance man.

Actually, the next project we have is taking a 1986 Wards lawn tractor from boring putt-putt to go-kart speeds. My 12 year old son is pretty excited about this.

Better than a 21st century schizoid man. I'm going to wind up specializing in small engine repair after my son broke all of mine. He and internal combustion engines are not compatible, fortunately he only broke one of my on-road vehicles, which I fixed last week.

What I'd like to get into is some artsy phartsy stuff, like water powered copper kinetic sculptures, stained glass, yuppie bait at the art fairs. I might do some cabinetry or light gunsmithing, and I can turn out a pretty good solid body electric guitar.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Driving for Uber (seldom these days), contract CAD work, and flight/auto racing simulator design and hardware sales.

Oh, and 2 rugrats. Not much spare time nowadays.

Second Uber driver. I can't get my head around doing that. I know one of my coworkers does it on his off time. It blows my mind.

I have three kids (two at home) and they do suck away the time. My time in the shop got cut way short today because my son came home from daycare early (it's across the yard, so I usually end up paying my daycare lady to watch her kids :laugh: ).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I work 5 days a week between my delivery job and a window cleaning gig, however me and my lady do cleaning jobs on the side mostly at night to rake in a little extra on the side. Im a student as well so i stay plenty busy.

the cleaning thing is the new side hustle but in trying to blow it up so I dont have to deliver anymore.
    we are "PM cleaning" like us on facebook :rockwoot:

Top Bottom