• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I'm buying a 1/4 cow from a friend. He said I can pick the front or the back, and I can decide.

I'm looking more at the steak end of things and I love ribeys, and the front has brisket as well.

so does anyone have an opinion on which end to get??

thanks!!
    Clay

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Hind quarter is usually more expensive. Got the following from another website:

A half beef is divided into the front quarter and the hind quarter. The front consists of chuck steaks, pot roasts, rib steaks, short ribs and soup bones. The hind consists of ground beef, top round, bottom round, t-bones, top sirloins, tender loins, flank steaks, sirloin tip, rump roast.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    In the past when we have purchased 1/4 of a cow the various cuts were all split. So,the butcher would process the animal and hen the 4 families kind of picked and chose what they wanted. So everyone got a good mix of roasts, steaks, loin, burger, etc. some things like brisket are harder to split so if a family chose that they’d get less other choice cuts.

There will I’ll also be a LOT of ofal for those who want it. I think I took all of the heart, tongue, and liver as none of the other families wanted it. That alone was almost 75 lbs of additional protein.

Having said all that that if I could only pick one quarter it would be a rear quarter. Much more choice cuts back there.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Do yourself a favor and buy half a cow, you get every cut and will save money over the grocery.

Other then the brisket there is no reason not to split the half as every package has to be handled anyways, not that hard to split it. Makes it fare for everyone. Hell the butcher will do it for free.:yesway:

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I raise cattle and sell freezer beef. No fair way to quarter a beef, you will get 1/2 of a half. Also, cattle are “built” with a certain amount of parts, you don’t get a choice of which parts you want more of.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    What you seek if you're a steak man is the hind quarter. You will pay more for this usually and the person that gets the front better like the roasts and other less-desirable cuts. Most shops also offer 1/2 of a 1/2. This is where 2 people split a half. Most shops will permit some variation in cuts, but steaks cannot vary (you're getting the same steaks as the other person) because they set the saw up for a thickness and start slicing, 1st steak goes on your stack, 2nd goes on their stack, 3rd your stack, and so-on. I normally buy a half now (on the occasion I buy beef anymore) but if I were doing less than a half, my preference is half of a half.

I am all t!tties, you can keep the ass.

(T!tties=brisket)
    Are you sure you're familiar with the anatomy of a cow? I don't think that's correct...

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    What you seek if you're a steak man is the hind quarter. You will pay more for this usually and the person that gets the front better like the roasts and other less-desirable cuts. Most shops also offer 1/2 of a 1/2. This is where 2 people split a half. Most shops will permit some variation in cuts, but steaks cannot vary (you're getting the same steaks as the other person) because they set the saw up for a thickness and start slicing, 1st steak goes on your stack, 2nd goes on their stack, 3rd your stack, and so-on. I normally buy a half now (on the occasion I buy beef anymore) but if I were doing less than a half, my preference is half of a half.

Are you sure you're familiar with the anatomy of a cow? I don't think that's correct...

T!itties as in chest...

Figured someone would find the humor in it.

Guessing I have sold more half's and quarters then anyone else on INGO...

Regardless the best two cuts of meat come from the front half of a cow, the brisket and ribeye.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    It's been a long time since we had to choose front quarter or rear. The last several places that have done the processing do half of a half so we get some of every cut. I have to specifically ask for brisket. Not all butchers do it and many just throw it in the grinder for burger...it's a crime, but they do it! I also have to ask for the brisket to be cut into smaller pieces so they don't freeze it whole. I like two to three pound portions so I don't have to fix it all at once for just the two of us.

Top Bottom