Buying a house, what should I ask for after inspection?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Long story short, 1500 square foot house with no basement and two new boys. We've got an accepted offer on a new to us house and just got the inspection done. I want to ask for a fair $$ to take care of the noted items myself with quality materials and skilled labor. I know that sellers will hire the least expensive yahoo they can find to do the job if asked. What I don't know is what a reasonable cost would be. The items are below:

• Compromised seal on a double pane window. Would need to be replaced.
    • ~10x10 section of damaged shingles. Not enough to be a serious issue, but this section is visibly missing some of the granules.
    • HVAC shows evidence of condensate leaking, being that it is still well below AC range, we couldn't test to see if it was a current issue or an old one.

Other items I'm going to have them check out:
    • Hoses were not disconnected from the hose bibs. Easy enough to have a plumber check for leaking frozen lines
    • Unknown status of irrigation system. If this comes back that it hasn't been winterized, what would that cost?

What does the INGO collective think?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Anything having to do with health and safety (incorrect wiring, bad vent stack, steps not right height, etc) should be paid for by the seller. Other stuff is negotiation fodder.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Oh boy! We started in Jun last year moved into new home 15 Dec Three homes fall through due to home inspection results and fixing said issues. Have the seller get an estimate and buyer get estimate. Meet in the middle somewhere if too far apart.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When I bought my house, after the inspection, there were a few issues, but nothing code or safety related. I was told the sellers had no money (divorce followed by foreclosure), so it was kinda a take it or leave it. I took it, but negotiated them throwing in some wood flooring that was stored in the house and a John Deere lawn tractor in the shed. I don’t know if they were happy, but I was.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Anything having to do with health and safety (incorrect wiring, bad vent stack, steps not right height, etc) should be paid for by the seller. Other stuff is negotiation fodder.

THIS.

It's a used house, it's bound to have some issues, unless it's critical, it's negotiable.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I Retired from the Building Trades, last 10 years as a Construction Superintendent. The Inspection is only as good as the Inspector. We had a New Home flunk the buyers inspection because the Electrical Panel didnt have Circuits identified. Turns out he looked in the AC Disconnect instead of the Breaker Panel.
    The Window needs Replaced, no fixing once the seal is comprised. Why is one section of the roof deteriorated? Was this a repair? If the hoses were not disconnected from the Frostproof Silcock, their most likely Froze & Cracked. Repair may include cutting into interior walls. If the hoses were left hooked up I'd guess they didnt winterize the Irrigation System, could be froze & cracked also. The Condensate leak this time of year is a crap shoot.
    A lot of these "Inspectors" take a 30-40 hour course and have no Clue about Residential Construction.
    Good Luck!

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Write in the contract that all repairs must be done by a licensed and insured contractor. That’s what we did to save ourself the “handyman special”.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Long story short, 1500 square foot house with no basement and two new boys. We've got an accepted offer on a new to us house and just got the inspection done. I want to ask for a fair $$ to take care of the noted items myself with quality materials and skilled labor. I know that sellers will hire the least expensive yahoo they can find to do the job if asked. What I don't know is what a reasonable cost would be. The items are below:

• Compromised seal on a double pane window. Would need to be replaced.
    • ~10x10 section of damaged shingles. Not enough to be a serious issue, but this section is visibly missing some of the granules.
    • HVAC shows evidence of condensate leaking, being that it is still well below AC range, we couldn't test to see if it was a current issue or an old one.

Other items I'm going to have them check out:
    • Hoses were not disconnected from the hose bibs. Easy enough to have a plumber check for leaking frozen lines
    • Unknown status of irrigation system. If this comes back that it hasn't been winterized, what would that cost?

What does the INGO collective think?

What does your Realtor advise?

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    8 years ago I was told the law would not allow money to be given to the buyer for repairs. There was something I wanted to do myself, and just get reimbursed for materials, and realtor said it was a no go. They ended up cutting a check at closing to a contractor who did the work after closing.

Top Bottom