Received a letter from Michigan Dept of Corrections any attorneys here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So yesterday I received a letter in the mail that stated an inmate was being moved to a level one facility in Central Michigan. Why would this happen? This guy is a convicted murderer. He is about 8 years into the initial sentence of 25 to 40 years. There was a phone number to call with questions, but my past experiences demonstrate that they are far more concerned for the criminal versus assisting the victim's family.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I think we need a little more context here. Something tells me you have a particular interest here. Is this San Quentin to Club Fed or what?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I think we need a little more context here. Something tells me you have a particular interest here. Is this San Quentin to Club Fed or what?

Yes I have a personal interest, this inmate was convicted of murdering my brother. At the sentencing hearing I was given paper work to fill out so that I would be notified of any changes of his status, thus the letter.

I know his parents initially complained that the prison he was being moved to was too far from their home. This is the 3rd time this pos has been moved. I have never been given an explanation as to why.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes I have a personal interest, this inmate was convicted of murdering my brother. At the sentencing hearing I was given paper work to fill out so that I would be notified of any changes of his status, thus the letter.

I know his parents initially complained that the prison he was being moved to was too far from their home. This is the 3rd time this pos has been moved. I have never been given an explanation as to why.

I honestly think you never will be given any reasons for what they do.
    I am truly sorry to learn of your loss.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    IANAL, but inmates get moved all the time for a wide variety of reasons. What is curious (if MI follows IN levels) is moving him to minimum security. That makes no sense to me. I assume he's not eligible for parole any time soon.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    So yesterday I received a letter in the mail that stated an inmate was being moved to a level one facility in Central Michigan. Why would this happen? This guy is a convicted murderer. He is about 8 years into the initial sentence of 25 to 40 years. There was a phone number to call with questions, but my past experiences demonstrate that they are far more concerned for the criminal versus assisting the victim's family.
    Nothing to be concerned with him getting moved. Even to minimum security. I’d keep up on him though. Don’t be surprised if he’s up for parole in a couple years! (My family went through this. Murderers did only about 10 years each for an extremely brutal murder. Also in Mich.)

I’m sorry for your loss AND for all the crap that goes along with it!

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We’ve gotten those notices. In our case the guy was eventually found dead in his cell so that took care of the fear of being released. If it’s any solice he’s unlikely to try to escape if he sees a chance to be released in a few years. Delays the day a bit

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So yesterday I received a letter in the mail that stated an inmate was being moved to a level one facility in Central Michigan.

That is your victim offender notification letter that is likely required by Michigan law (don't know, could be policy too).

Why would this happen?

Because the statute requires that you be sent notice.

Not really tracking your question(s), wcd. Could you re-state them?

Dept. of Corrections move inmates all the time in all states for a variety of reasons. Nothing unusual about it.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

very sorry for your loss wcd.

Top Bottom