• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My 84-year-old mother is in the market for a new vehicle. After this last round of snow, we need something with AWD that sits up higher than a car. Smaller and easier to maneuver would be better.

Leaning toward Honda HR-V or Mazda CX-3, but open to pros/cons on any make.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    My 87 year old mom went from a Ford Escape to a Honda CRV and loves it. The awd, traction control, anti lock brakes, etc are just amazing with all the snow we have had. The Escape was a piece of junk in comparison and makes me cautious about buying another Ford.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Octogenarians and Buicks just go together.....:)

5q6XWpV.jpg

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-buick-encore-14l-turbo-fwd-review

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I’d skip the Mazda. My friends that have them all say they won’t buy another. Cheap interiors, thin paint, cracked dash boards and plastic..... they’re junk inside.

Go for the Honda, a Toyota, a Nissan, a Subaru, or a Ford. They’re getting the best reviews, reliability ratings, etc... right now.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I think the Honda HR-V was widely panned in a huge comparison test that Motor Trend did recently.

In the SUB-compact SUV world... I'd look at the Koreans. Hyundai Tucson or the Kia Sportage.

My wife and I have rented, two different times, two different Mitsubishi Outlanders. Quite impressed with how well they rode and drove. I would expect the smaller Outlander Sport to be as well.

Far be it from me to tell another how to spend their $ - but getting into a few year old standard compact SUV (vs Subcompact) may save some coin.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I know 2 people who own Mitsubishi Outlanders and they love them. I have had 2 Mitsubishi Lancers and they have been great, only had to get a second one because of a deer.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Thanks for all the info so far.

KittySlayer, you have a point. In fact, the conversation about whether she should be driving at all will probably be coming in a few years, but for now, I think we're good. About the only place she drives is to her volunteer job at the hospital, and that is literally across the street from our subdivision. If weather is too bad, I either take her or she stays home.

Tactically Fat, that brings me to your point. I agree that a gently used vehicle would save money, but she has the money to spend and would like a new one. The last vehicle she bought used ended badly, even though it only had 30K miles on it.

I have a RAV4 and love it, but she wants something smaller. Chevy Trax is not rated as highly as the others, but does anyone have any experience with them? We have a local Chevy and Ford dealer and it would be nice to patronize them if possible.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The new Chevy's aren't ranked high because they're churning out piles of dog turds.

Honda, Toyota, Ford, Nissan, or Subaru. They are currently making good reliable cars. Chevy is not.

If you want to dip your toes into the second tier stuff, Kia, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, etc..... are all currently better than Chevy as well.

Do yourself and your mom a favor, and stay away from GMC stuff.

Chevy Trax is not rated as highly as the others, but does anyone have any experience with them? We have a local Chevy and Ford dealer and it would be nice to patronize them if possible.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    She wants something smaller than the Rav4?? I'd strongly encourage her to reconsider if for no other reason than safety in case of an accident.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks for all the info so far.

KittySlayer, you have a point. In fact, the conversation about whether she should be driving at all will probably be coming in a few years, but for now, I think we're good. About the only place she drives is to her volunteer job at the hospital, and that is literally across the street from our subdivision. If weather is too bad, I either take her or she stays home.

Tactically Fat, that brings me to your point. I agree that a gently used vehicle would save money, but she has the money to spend and would like a new one. The last vehicle she bought used ended badly, even though it only had 30K miles on it.

I have a RAV4 and love it, but she wants something smaller. Chevy Trax is not rated as highly as the others, but does anyone have any experience with them? We have a local Chevy and Ford dealer and it would be nice to patronize them if possible.

A large part of the issues with my moms Ford Escape had to do with the dealer in Lowell. If you go Ford I would avoid that dealer at all costs. Only a small part of out issues with the Escape had to do with the dealer selling personal information to telemarketers who prey on the aged. Years after the Escape was traded in they are still attempting to prey on her.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    A large part of the issues with my moms Ford Escape had to do with the dealer in Lowell. If you go Ford I would avoid that dealer at all costs. Only a small part of out issues with the Escape had to do with the dealer selling personal information to telemarketers who prey on the aged. Years after the Escape was traded in they are still attempting to prey on her.

And the Chevy dealership has the same owner as the Ford dealership, correct? Those were the ones we were considering.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I've owned a Mazda for seven years. It has had one recall the dealer took care of. Other than that, I take it in twice a year for an oil change and tire rotation. It has been from Montana to Florida. Zero problems.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Also look at the new Ford Ecosport. Smaller than the already small Escape. Or even the Mazda CX-3.

I think she'll probably find the Subaru Forester too big. And the CrossTek to be too low to the ground.

As far as the Hyundai and Kia being "second tier" vehicles.... That's not the case any longer. Even 5 years ago - perhaps. Not these days, however. Not when they're consistently besting several their domestic, Japanese, and German competition in both Motor Trend and Car and Driver comparison testing.

Top Bottom