• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Police purchase of armored truck sparks debate | Indiana Daily Student

...The City of Bloomington has signed the contracts for a controversial purchase: a new $225,000 armored vehicle for the Bloomington Police Department.

The announcement came from BPD Police Chief Mike Diekhoff last week during a news conference and has raised concerns of police militarization from some members of the community.

BPD sent out a press release Monday and organized a public discussion of the Critical Incident Response Team, or CIRT, vehicle Tuesday trying to address some of these worries.

Every chair in the BPD Headquarters training room was full Tuesday, and many more people stood in its entrance. The crowd was a mix of media, government representatives and community members.

As the cameras focused on Diekhoff, the first question came: has this vehicle already been purchased?

The answer: yes. It will be delivered in 2018. The deal will not be renegotiated.

“I’m just really disappointed that this wasn’t more of a community process,” Bloomington resident Vauhxx Booker, 34, said...

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Gotta get them jack bootin' toys.

What a ****ing waste of tax payers money. This isn't Baghdad. Police shouldn't be militarized like this. IMHO, we should take all their toys away and give them an awesome blue hat, a billy club, a flashlight, and a revolver. Their primary prerogative should be SERVING the community. Not jack bootin' the community into submission. The Bloomington residents are right to be pissed off about this.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

What a ****ing waste of tax payers money. This isn't Baghdad. Police shouldn't be militarized like this. IMHO, we should take all their toys away and give them an awesome blue hat, a billy club, a flashlight, and a revolver. Their primary prerogative should be SERVING the community. Not jack bootin' the community into submission. The Bloomington residents are right to be pissed off about this.

Lolololol

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

You either forgot your purple or you forgot to man up, fill out the app, go through the process and take on the nastiest of the nasty our society creates while maintaining any hope of making it home at the end of the day.

That said, call me when Bloomington PD starts using the Bearcat for traffic infractions and I'll side with you, otherwise step up and show them how it's done.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Lol.....the nastiest of the nasty.....it’s Bloomington, IN. You know as well as I That this thing will mostly be used for petty drug “crimes” and photo ops so cops can dress up and play pretend war.

As far as signing up.....I refuse to be part of the “war” on drugs. If cops ever went back to doing what they’re supposed to do (serve the public), I’ll consider. Until then, whole bunch of nope, and it has nothing to do with my manhood or showing them how it’s done :rolleyes:

You either forgot your purple or you forgot to man up, fill out the app, go through the process and take on the nastiest of the nasty our society creates while maintaining any hope of making it home at the end of the day.

That said, call me when Bloomington PD starts using the Bearcat for traffic infractions and I'll side with you, otherwise step up and show them how it's done.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Lol.....the nastiest of the nasty.....it’s Bloomington, IN. You know as well as I That this thing will mostly be used for petty drug “crimes” and photo ops so cops can dress up and play pretend war.

Yep, right up until it's not. There are no greater hypocrites in our society than the liberal democrats and the second they feel their lunacy is losing hold they'll be the first to start popping random people with the very semi auto rifles they claim to be against.

It isn't an assault vehicle, it offers protection from the lunatics. If you've got a better plan, like I mentioned, sack up and show them how its done.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    As far as signing up.....I refuse to be part of the “war” on drugs. If cops ever went back to doing what they’re supposed to do (serve the public), I’ll consider. Until then, whole bunch of nope, and it has nothing to do with my manhood or showing them how it’s done :rolleyes:

Yet you have no issue in sitting back in the safety of uninvolvement and claim to know how it should be done. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What's a dead cop matter anyway, right? **** em, they deserve no protection.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I want to know how often these would be used if we didn't outlaw everything stupid kids tried to shoot up or smoke. I'm pretty sure Bloomington isn't a hotbed for kidnappings and stand offs. But federal money flows, and they gain more sway over local law enforcement and the towns they serve.

I'm all for cops going home at night. I just think it's funny how much money we spend on stuff that departments in these little towns will have to use for traffic stops just to show it's being used at all. Indy? Sure. Bloomington? Is the Dalai Lama threatening a military coup or something?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The sad part in this seeming waste of taxpayer money is that most police are not shot while in transit in their vehicles. They are most in danger when walking up to a car in a traffic stop or walking up to a house, or knocking on it's door to serve a warrant.

Thinking about it, the price paid is not really unreasonable for an armored transport.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I want to know how often these would be used if we didn't outlaw everything stupid kids tried to shoot up or smoke. I'm pretty sure Bloomington isn't a hotbed for kidnappings and stand offs. But federal money flows, and they gain more sway over local law enforcement and the towns they serve.

I'm all for cops going home at night. I just think it's funny how much money we spend on stuff that departments in these little towns will have to use for traffic stops just to show it's being used at all. Indy? Sure. Bloomington? Is the Dalai Lama threatening a military coup or something?

I'm 15,000% in favor of ending the war on drugs and 50,000% in favor of giving police officers the protection they deserve from the ****bags we as a society create.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy

Are college kids , hippies and junkies that hard to deal with ?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This. End the “war” on drugs, and these are unnecessary. Like I said, it’ll be used for some puny drug raids so they don’t lose it, and some dumb photo ops with cops dressing up like they’re on their way to the sand box.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Are college kids , hippies and junkies that hard to deal with ?

Seruously? Do you carry a gun? How many times have you been mugged, robbed or been the victim of a home invasion? Are we to suddenly believe, since it doesn’t apply to us, that since the odds are low there is no reason to prepare for the worst? If that is now the case I expect 98% of INGO to turn in their LTCH before Friday. Everyone else’s life is cheaper than our own I reckon.

Top Bottom