• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    I have an 11 year old Whirpool Cabrio top load washer/dryer set. The washer has had a couple of issues over the years but was able to keep running with some simple fixes. Last weekend, it started displaying the UL (unbalanced load) code and would not complete a spin cycle. Most of the recommendations on the internet said it was likely the suspension rods and would be a cheap and easy fix. I swapped out the suspension rods last night for a new set and am continuing to have the same issue during the spin cycle, even when the washer is empty. I am pretty sure this thing needs replaced at this point rather than spending some real money having someone come out and diagnose and fix the problem.

All that being said, what do you folks recommend for a decent washer/dryer set? I prefer top load over the front load varieties. I don't believe the wife will let me get away with just replacing the washer.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Love the Whirlpool brand. We have the "old fashioned" top loader washing machine and matching front loader gas dryer. I have taken both apart and replaced parts inside for cheap. This style washing machine is not available anymore. Quite frankly, if the washing machine got to the point where I couldn't fix it, I'd seriously consider buying a nice used one that is similar and that I can still fix easily. Not confident in the longevity and care of the new machines.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I would stop in to your local Best Buy store. They will ask you a few questions about what you are looking for, and make a recommendation. The cool thing about Best Buy is that they don't work on commission so they aren't too pushy. They just find what's right for you.

Keep in mind that the new machines just aren't built like they used to be. Don't set your expectations too high. Everyone has their opinions on extended warranties, but it may be worth it to get one. You should expect a 5 year warranty to be around the $100-$150 range. It's really up to you, but you already have an idea of the time/cost involved in making repairs.

Samsung is one of the best in terms of quality (once they got past the whole "washer catching fire" snafu) but are expensive to fix. Whirlpool/Maytag would be right up there too, but are cheaper to fix and parts are easy to get. I would stay away from Amana, even though they are made by Whirlpool because they are pretty cheaply built units. GE units are ok, but not as good as Whirlpool.

I would definitely recommend the non-agitator models because they actually wash your clothes better, and use less water.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    My wife and I are in the market as well. Right now we have LG front loaders (never again) for front loaders.
    Our washer had the "smell" issue, you have to keep up on the rubber door seal, and make sure to leave the door wide open to dry out.
    We bought our set in 2006 from HH Gregg. I have repaired both of them a handful of times, our washer now has a bad bearing which makes it really loud during the spin cycle.

I have been reading and watching reviews from Consumer Reports, I too like the look and features of the SamSung, they actually got the worst reviews.
    LG and Speed Queen get the best reviews as far as fewer repairs needed within 5 years.
    This weekend we will be hitting Best Buy and some others to look for a new set of "laundry".

We do laundry every single day, so our machines get a work out.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Appliances are truly a case of "they don't make them like they used to". That's not just my personal experience. Most surveys and even company websites will now tell you to expect washers, dryers, dishwashers, refrigerators to last 5-10 years.

We had a fairly expensive Samsung front loader set we bought 8-9 years ago. I liked the features, and at the time liked Samsung better than the other brands. The washer had a problem 5 years in that meant repair cost was going to be something like 450. I did a lot more research and found the only way to buy quality washers/dryers now is to buy a Speed Queen (Meile from Germany also claims good quality, but Speed Queen looks more certain and is made in Wisconsin).

We didn't have the $$ for a Speed Queen when the washer broke, so I went in to Lowe's and perused their markdowns. They get appliances sometimes that are just discontinued. Also, especially in the more expensive suburbs like Zionsville and Carmel, they get things that people order then decide aren't quite right. We picked up a Whirlpool top loader Cabrio for under $400. I don't love it; it doesn't wash as well as the big front loader or the agitator types, but it was cheap. Sometimes I have to re-run the spin cycle when it doesn't adequately get the water out. When it breaks, it will get tossed. I think this is sad, even though I'm sure some parts are recycled. It's wasteful to build this junk.

3 days ago, our Samsung dryer quit working. I called our local repairman who has done very good work for us on different things. He said the described problem was likely going to be several hundred, and that 8 years was past the good life. He also said he stopped repairing Samsung because he was getting too many defective parts from them.

This time I called the Speed Queen dealer and paid for their best consumer dryer at about $1000. It has a 7 year warranty and (supposedly) built to last 25 years. It was just delivered yesterday so...

I don't care to buy an extended warranty from any of the large chains. Their response is to have you call an 800 number, and they only come to our area once weekly or monthly. They won't give you a specific time, and they will end up charging you if they declare it an out-of-warranty problem. There is a reason that employees at appliance stores receive big commissions when they sell extended warranties.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Appliances are truly a case of "they don't make them like they used to". That's not just my personal experience. Most surveys and even company websites will now tell you to expect washers, dryers, dishwashers, refrigerators to last 5-10 years.

We had a fairly expensive Samsung front loader set we bought 8-9 years ago. I liked the features, and at the time liked Samsung better than the other brands. The washer had a problem 5 years in that meant repair cost was going to be something like 450. I did a lot more research and found the only way to buy quality washers/dryers now is to buy a Speed Queen (Meile from Germany also claims good quality, but Speed Queen looks more certain and is made in Wisconsin).

We didn't have the $$ for a Speed Queen when the washer broke, so I went in to Lowe's and perused their markdowns. They get appliances sometimes that are just discontinued. Also, especially in the more expensive suburbs like Zionsville and Carmel, they get things that people order then decide aren't quite right. We picked up a Whirlpool top loader Cabrio for under $400. I don't love it; it doesn't wash as well as the big front loader or the agitator types, but it was cheap. Sometimes I have to re-run the spin cycle when it doesn't adequately get the water out. When it breaks, it will get tossed. I think this is sad, even though I'm sure some parts are recycled. It's wasteful to build this junk.

3 days ago, our Samsung dryer quit working. I called our local repairman who has done very good work for us on different things. He said the described problem was likely going to be several hundred, and that 8 years was past the good life. He also said he stopped repairing Samsung because he was getting too many defective parts from them.

This time I called the Speed Queen dealer and paid for their best consumer dryer at about $1000. It has a 7 year warranty and (supposedly) built to last 25 years. It was just delivered yesterday so...

I don't care to buy an extended warranty from any of the large chains. Their response is to have you call an 800 number, and they only come to our area once weekly or monthly. They won't give you a specific time, and they will end up charging you if they declare it an out-of-warranty problem. There is a reason that employees at appliance stores receive big commissions when they sell extended warranties.

I'd have bought SpeedQueen, too, if I'd have the money. As it was, spending $700 on my SET without consulting the main laundry-doer was...a stretch.

NEXT time, though, we'll go Fisher Paykel or Speed Queen. Probably not Meile for those appliances - but because I want to be able to SEE one in person before buying. And they're hard to find in the wild.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    DO NOT get the high efficiency top load units. I bought a Maytag Bravos XL this past summer. Highly rated and got it because it would handle bedding like a champ. No center agitator. I've pulled out loads where there were actually dry spots on the clothes, and when we wash bedding, there's soap residue on the comforter if we don't do the deep water wash and extra rinse. Even then, it'll sometimes leave residue.

Crittersdad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2018
    Jasonville
    HE Front loading washers

We have a Kenmore front loading HE washer I like it over the top loader.
    As far as orders are concerned we leave a small gap in the door and wipe the gasket down and no orders.
    I have major back problems and the front loader is better for me. That is just my 2 cents

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'd have bought SpeedQueen, too, if I'd have the money. As it was, spending $700 on my SET without consulting the main laundry-doer was...a stretch.

NEXT time, though, we'll go Fisher Paykel or Speed Queen. Probably not Meile for those appliances - but because I want to be able to SEE one in person before buying. And they're hard to find in the wild.

Another vote here for Speed Queen. I bought my first three years ago when a 20yr old Kenmore went TangoUniform. All my research said they were what I wanted (top load no frills no water saving no hour long wash cycle with wimpy agitation and inefficient spin) and people reviewing them loved them for the same reasons. I drove 30 miles outside of town in a borrowed p/u to get one and bring it home and it has been bulletproof.

I can't say anything about the dryers, because that 20+yr old Kenmore is still going strong, but if its at all like the washers it should be awesome. Buy once, cry (about the price) once

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    DO NOT get the high efficiency top load units. I bought a Maytag Bravos XL this past summer. Highly rated and got it because it would handle bedding like a champ. No center agitator. I've pulled out loads where there were actually dry spots on the clothes, and when we wash bedding, there's soap residue on the comforter if we don't do the deep water wash and extra rinse. Even then, it'll sometimes leave residue.

THIS. Many of the washers I looked at before getting the Speed Queen had "agitators" that looked like something you would use as a form to give texture to a pie crust, unnoticeably small and about as aggressive as Obama. No wonder half the wash cycle is them dithering about the balance of the load

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    We just replaced our 25 year old Maytag washer & dryer- Looked a lot and ended up with a Maytag set. Washer model is MVWB765FW1, Dryer is electric model MEDB765FW0.
    Washer is a top loader, one of the few with an agitator. Had to monkey with the wash type and water setting to get clothes clean, and even then it is marginal in my opinion. HE sucks and is useless if you have to use the full fill to get enough water in tub to get all the clothes wet. Depending on setting, wash time is 35 min. to 90 min. It does spin out quite well and saves dryer time. If I had it to do over again I would go with the Speed Queen, didn't know about them at the time. Oh, also the tops on most of the new ones are not flat!! Can't fold clothes on them as they just want to slide off. They had to make them with bends and arches so they would support themselves because the metal is so thin.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    !DO NOT GET A MAYTAG! EVER! Our washer needs a 150.00 motherboard and its just over a year old. Keeps repeating the cycles if you don't catch the end. Just put a belt in the 20 YO Kenmore dryer sitting beside it. We should have read the reviews first..... oh well

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Mom has Samsung and loves them.
    We have a LG front loader with the pedestal washer under it coupled with an HE Samsung dryer.

I can't say one is better than the other but I do like the little washer under the main washer... being front loader and op wants to stay away from that darn near everything I just typed does not apply.

Side note: lowes had our set on clearance. The washers were returned because the dryer broke after just a couple of weeks and the lady wanted a matching set. We paid 800 for both washers and 200 for the dryer as it was a display model / never used. Together the set should have been 1400- that is what they had on the stickers but being clearance you can haggle with them and bring your cost down.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I just this last week bought a Roper at Lowes.
    I bought it simply because it was the least expensive one they had.
    So far, so good. It's very basic, and for some reason they thought putting a softener cup in the top of the agitator should be a chargeable option. Whatever.
    Other than that, it's suprisingly advanced for a base model. I'll be trying bed clothes today, so we'll see.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    We absolutely hate our HE topload Samsung. I would never buy it again. It's been reliable, but it doesn't wash clothes very well at all (because it's HE). We had a front load GE prior to this one. It washed clothes well, but I had to change the bearing twice. I've decided our next one will be either a Speed Queen, or the absolute cheapest front load washer available at the time (fully expecting it to crap out later).

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    We have a 12 year old LG front load washer and dryer. Still going strong. I did replace a sensor in the washer after about two or three years but have never had an issue since then.

Eying a new set just because they have more capacity now than they did when the current set was purchased.

Top Bottom