Can a section of roadway have 2 different speed limits?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Not talking about lower limits for semi trucks, either.

There's a section of roadway that I'm on several times a week that's posted 40mph as you're west-bound... but 35mph as you're east-bound. 2-lane "edge of city but not in city-limits" road.

I'm not suggesting this is done maliciously - but probably just some kind of oversight.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I travel a road that's the same way. I'm pretty sure it's due to two schools close to a stop light and a religious school in the proximity as well. . One side is 40mph headed west and the east bound side is 35. Thankfully they're just short stretches.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    There is a county road out by my kiddo's school that is posted 35 westbound and 45 eastbound. Everyone runs 50, so it doesn't really matter.

Looks like the town posted the 35 when it annexed the area, but never removed the old 45 sign.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Very common. Sometimes it's for an upcoming school zone that the other direction has already passed. Sometimes it's to slow traffic down as it comes into town but let's it get up to highway speeds when leaving. Sometimes it's due to a residential area ahead but not necessary going the other direction. Lots of reasons, and yes, you can get a ticket for going a certain speed in one lane and not the other.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Very common. Sometimes it's for an upcoming school zone that the other direction has already passed. Sometimes it's to slow traffic down as it comes into town but let's it get up to highway speeds when leaving. Sometimes it's due to a residential area ahead but not necessary going the other direction. Lots of reasons, and yes, you can get a ticket for going a certain speed in one lane and not the other.

East-bound IS approaching a busy intersection, for sure. But then the speed limit goes UP to 40mph before getting to the intersection...

I do just think that the 35mph sign may very well have been forgotten about.

Stretch of road in question: In Greenwood, Smith Valley Road between SR 135 and the rail road tracks to the west.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Northfield Drive east of SR267 in Brownsburg has a random speed limit generator installed. Speeds vary from 30, 35, to 40, and depend on the direction of travel. Once again, everyone (including BPD) runs 45+, so the actual posted speed doesn't seem to matter.

CR 700N in the 'burg is what I mentioned up-thread. Eastbound is 35, and westbound (towards town) is 45. I'm sure that is an oversight.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Carmel has a stretch kinda like that between 11300 and 11550 Westfield Blvd due to the way the signs are placed...

Going north is 40 from Indy to just before 116th (~11550) where there are 30 signs on both sides... but going south it's 30 from central Carmel until you pass the 40 MPH sign near what would be 113th where there are 40's on both sides.

That makes the northbound 40 and the southbound 30.

Top Bottom