Windows 7 or 10 for upgrade to Vista machine?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    https://www.cnet.com/products/gatew...7-core-2-duo-p8400-4-gb-ram-200-gb-hdd/specs/

It's an older computer but with decent specs. $29 for Windows 7 or $49 for Windows 10? Which will be faster on a machine with the specs of the one above? Vista is a giant PITA now that there's no support. Chrome, several anti-virus programs, etc. just don't work that well on it any longer and I'd like to extend the life of the laptop.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    10 is supposed to run fine on even older and lower spec machines.

Throw in an $45 SSD to do a clean install and keep it unclutered and it should do fine.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Hate to say it, but you need a new computer. That hardware wasn't designed to run Win 7 or 10 efficiently. 4Gb of RAM will be super slow. Win 10 takes around 2Gb of RAM just to run the operating system. At best, you will have maybe 1.5Gb RAM left to run all your other programs. If you are running antivirus, multiple tabs in Chrome, and other programs, you will be be more frustrated than you are right now with Vista.

Do yourself a favor, and spend $500 on a good computer with a Core i5 processor and 8Gb RAM. You can actually find them cheaper than $500 if you look around.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Or just ditch Windows and go with Linux. Go to pendrivelinux.com and create a usb boot stick to try. Use Mint Cinnamon.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    On an older system, 10 will run better than 7. I also think it's a markedly better OS.

Agreed, but as others have said, could be time for the OP to get new machine as well, given the specs he posted. Some light surfing and it will be ok, but even browsers (depending on number of tabs and content, etc) can suck up quite a bit of memory, etc.

Also as someone stated above, Windows 7 will be out of support (no further security updates provided) come 2020.

To the OP's question though, definitely 10 over 7.... And Vista was a PITA all along :ingo:

Last edited:

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    $29 or $500 is a no brainer to me; you gamble on the $29 and if it proves to not meet your expectations, you then splurge. Of course this is coming from a tightwad who just spent $190 (Monoprice, December) on a NOS ACER Travelmate 115M with not much more than your Gateway in the way of processing and has yet to realize he's missing out on something.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm hanging on to 7 as long as I can. Maybe 10 will be stable by the time MS dumps it as well.
    I have 10 on my new PC and hate it. I'm running a 6yr old Lenova with 7 most of the time. I use my phone and a laptop much of the time as well. Laptop came with 10 and after a couple of months with it I scrubbed it and put a new 7 load to it.
    Sorry, I just don't like 10 at all.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I have a new computer, but I want to keep using the old one as well. Mostly because I'm too lazy to move several of the programs to this one.

FYI, I believe that it is not possible to actually "upgrade" from Vista to Win 10. You have to do a clean install.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I upgraded my mom's old laptop from Vista to 7 because I have DVDs for 7. M$ rolled 10 out in such a messed up way I still have a bad taste in my mouth and I don't trust them. She doesn't do anything heavy, maybe a couple of tabs in Firefox and an occasional print. I still have a laptop on 7 for a couple of special printers that I haven't put under WINE yet, but here I'm running an old core 2 processor with 4M RAM, and I'm running it hard under Mint 18.1 without lagging.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm hanging on to 7 as long as I can. Maybe 10 will be stable by the time MS dumps it as well.
    I have 10 on my new PC and hate it. I'm running a 6yr old Lenova with 7 most of the time. I use my phone and a laptop much of the time as well. Laptop came with 10 and after a couple of months with it I scrubbed it and put a new 7 load to it.

Just curious, what was so bothersome about 10 for you? I've had zero issues with stability and I've been running it since before it hit general release.

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    My vote would be for 10 based solely on the fact that it natively runs virtual desktops. I know it wasn't an option listed, but, if you have to do a clean install to run 10 anyways, I would spend $0 and just slap Linux on there. As an added bonus, you wouldn't have to worry about Cortana spying on you all the time.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    How much ram do you have? If you have 4 gig of ram and don't plan on adding then go with 7. 10 will run pretty well with 8. It's a pooch with 4 gig on a i3 that I have until I doubled the ram. My new laptop has 16 and it is really fast.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    At this point go for 10. Your potential issue may be with drivers on the old hardware.

I haven't tried it yet, but try user agent switching to get a browser to work. I know it won't help on sites that actually use features built into the newer browser versions, but I suspect many sites will still work fine.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

I'm still running Windows 7 64 Bit Professional and like it.
    Just to be on the cautious side.
    On the updates, I've not done any of them that have anything to do with "Customer Experience", or other ones that were added that reduce privacy.
    Do a Google search on windows 7 privacy

When I finally get to the point one day that Windows 7 isn't supported, I'll switch to OpenBSD UNIX, as my servers and network infrastructure have been OpenBSD for many years.
    It's solid, and has never crashed or been exploited since I began using it in 2001.

Last edited:

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    If this older one is just for surfin da net and watching you tube, netflix etc and checking forums and email. i vote 7. Keep it cheap, as you said u already have a new computer to do the real stuff on. Dont wanna spend too much as maybe in a couple years you may have to finally toss it.

Top Bottom