Wife bought me an Acoustic Bass for Valentine's Day...I keep staring at it.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It's a Takamine EG512C......I have been watching Youtube videos....My fingers feel like clubs but I am starting to make sounds that sound right I suppose...My brother plays guitar and my wife thought it would be nice if he and I can sit on the porch out at the farm and play some old country tunes or Avett Brothers tunes.....

She also got me two pair of khaki Levi's snugger than I am used too...She may be taking her Avett Brothers infatuation to a whole new level but I admit I always wanted to play something.....

Any pointers from any INGO musicians would be appreciated....

gmielckhrxijhxhcggzy.jpg
    dfeaxrvpy6lcaamdmqox.jpg
    lgm3ccj4ehptzpbdd6dt.jpg

Thanks for any advice....I will be checking thread as I am sipping bourbon and plunking this evening.....

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Music theory class. (If you don’t think you need it. Well you need it) cords are important and knowing what makes a major or minor 7 ect. It truly important in the learning of any instrument.

classes on basics so you can learn to play it and your practice time is not wasted in having to relearn what you have learned.

Play at it every day for a while. Once you hit that rough patch then play a little longer each day. Soon it become muscle memory and much easier to get some things to fall into place.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Easiest way to just play along as a beginner is to watch where the rhythm guitarist's finger is at on the lowest frequency string he is playing and playing that note in rhythm with him.

99 percent of the time, that's gonna be the root of the chord being played by him.

Basically stated, the 4 lowest frequency string on a geeeetar is the same as your bass.

Have fun! It takes time, but you'll pick it up.

And yes, the theory is relevant, but some of the best players in the world never took a class in their life. Playing by ear is a talent in and of itself.

Looking at a piano keyboard with the keys labeled as notes will help u Learn the frets on your bass. It lets you visualize where the half and whole steps are.

Your strings from low to high frequency are e a d g

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Pick a song you like and look up the bass tab on basstab.com and play along. I played with a band for years. We had a lot of fun. The bass is what most people are dancing to.
    Found one for you
    www.bigbasstabs.com/the_avett_brothers_bass_tabs/aint_no_man.html
    Here are some easy ones to get you started
    ://www.bigbasstabs.com/bass_lessons_bass_tabs/cool_riffs_for_beginners.html

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I was thinking about Tiran Porter just the other day.

One of my favorite bass riffs:

[video=youtube_share;4PE7zk_eBxw]http://youtu.be/4PE7zk_eBxw[/video]

And then there is Roundabout by Yes.

[video=youtube_share;hy2f835F3tw]http://youtu.be/hy2f835F3tw[/video]

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I learned how to play the hard way, spent most of my teen and early 20s years sitting in my room making noise. I gave it up for about 2 years after I got married, but when I picked it up again, things seemed to make more sense, don’t know why, but they did. I played in a couple of bands through my 20s and 30s. Life got in the way for quite a few years and now I mainly just play my acoustic, but I still have a nice guitar collection that I plan on doing some recording with someday. I can fake my way around on a bass, but never really got heavily into it.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    The first song I learned was Peter Gunn.

[video=youtube;oysMt8iL9UE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oysMt8iL9UE[/video]

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    What a great Valentine’s Day gift. Take your time and enjoy the journey. Playing an instrument, even casually, gives a lifetime of enjoyment. I dink around on acoustic guitar quite a bit. Love it love it love it.

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    By the way, indiucky, please do some research on humidification. Good instruments can be ruined quickly due to excessive drying in the winter months when we rely on indoor heat. My current favorite are the two-way humidification systems, but they’re somewhat expensive.

I recently bought a Taylor GS Mini in Koa. What an instrument!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It's a Takamine EG512C......I have been watching Youtube videos....My fingers feel like clubs but I am starting to make sounds that sound right I suppose...My brother plays guitar and my wife thought it would be nice if he and I can sit on the porch out at the farm and play some old country tunes or Avett Brothers tunes.....

She also got me two pair of khaki Levi's snugger than I am used too...She may be taking her Avett Brothers infatuation to a whole new level but I admit I always wanted to play something.....

Any pointers from any INGO musicians would be appreciated....

gmielckhrxijhxhcggzy.jpg
    dfeaxrvpy6lcaamdmqox.jpg
    lgm3ccj4ehptzpbdd6dt.jpg

Thanks for any advice....I will be checking thread as I am sipping bourbon and plunking this evening.....

Hammering and popping are what makes it really fun, somewhat tougher to do with acoustic (and have it be audible to anybody but you). Pop music is a great place to start because baselines are often simple and good practice

How good are you at picking things out of tunes by listening to recordings? Two baselines I still love to play and which make me happy and lift my spirits are the ones from True Faith by New Order and Rock The Casbah by The Clash, neither one is particularly difficult but are good practice

I think, like a triple carb Jag, it will keep you out of trouble and out of the bars for some time (and be cheaper, too). Enjoy

Top Bottom