• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Finished reading the subtle art of not giving a **** and thought it was great. Going to start Jordan petersons book 12 rules of life. Just thought id see if others enjoy reading and what type of books they enjoy.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I have a degree in Library Science if that gives you an idea what I think of reading. :) I have read military history, to the almost total exclusion of anything else, my entire life. I have absolutely no idea why, I was never a soldier and am nothing remotely like a warrior.

The last two books I read were The Men Who Lost America by Andrew O"Shaughnessy and A Storm in Flanders by Winston Groom. The first is a series of biographies of the British leaders, civil and military, during the American Revolution. It is a very enlightening, shows a side of the conflict that you just never see in other histories. The second is about the First World War battles in the Ypres Salient, written by the author of Forrest Gump. Excellent book, very easy to read.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I no longer read very many physical books. I read them on my iPad. I have boxes of old books in the basement that I need to get rid of...

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I've been reading post apocalypse type books for the last month or so.

Today a new book came out called Agent in Place by Mark Greaney. It's book 7 in a series called Gray Man. It's kind of like a Bourne type series. (movies not the books. Movies are nothing like the book)

Mark Greaney worked with Tom Clancy before he passed on the Jack Ryan series. Mark is also a gun guy. I met him at a class and he gave me a copy of his book. I read it. I loved it. I've already have over a 100 pages in book 7 released today.

I also like History books. Late last year I read Eugene Sledge's book With the Old Breed, Dick Winters Book Band of Brothers, 13 Hours, and The Ranger Way.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I'm an avid reader. I don't stick with any particular genre, though I do like mysteries and psychological thrillers a lot. Depends more on the writing style. Some books are just hard for me to get through...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yep. Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Spy/Espionage, TEOTWAWKI/Zombies, and the occasional non-fiction. Several magazines, too. Haven't read as much lately, but I'll go on benders and read a book or more a week (100+ pages a night) for a month or so, and then take a break when I run out of material.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I can dimly remember not reading (much) in the distant past. I have a dedicated library with fireplace now...it's not nearly large enough for all of my books. I'm currently reading Bill Mauldin's "A Sort of Saga" which is the story of his childhood. It's been a long time I had a good laugh sitting by myself reading but I did this morning.

I like books that were written by the people who were there so I have a lot of old books, some from before the Civil War and many of the war that were printed in the years after. One particularly good read was done by Sherman's Aide de Camp.

Another interesting book I read recently was called "Ignition" and was the story of the development of liquid rocket propellants in America by the guy who was the project head...the forward was by Asimov who said he's glad this guy never took up Sci-Fi writing as a career.

Anyway, I read...a lot...and I prefer real books to the e-reader things.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I also recently read a book I'd been saving for 50 years..."Towards the Year 2018" that I bought in 1968. A group of futurists took a look forward 50 years to give a prediction of what today would look like. Some of them were insightful and pretty accurate if not exact...some of it was hilariously wrong.

A couple of the big things they got wrong were weaponization of the weather, the ability to generate hurricanes and throw them at enemy naval forces...and personal travel by ICBM (!?!)

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    More so in the past than lately, but still a reader. Sci-Fi mostly. Tend to hit the Half Price Books quite a bit, and real books vs a digital reader.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Used to read a lot, not much anymore.
    Last few have been political (Coulter, Gutfeld etc).
    Refreshing change of pace............

slGai6H.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I also recently read a book I'd been saving for 50 years..."Towards the Year 2018" that I bought in 1968. A group of futurists took a look forward 50 years to give a prediction of what today would look like. Some of them were insightful and pretty accurate if not exact...some of it was hilariously wrong.

A couple of the big things they got wrong were weaponization of the weather, the ability to generate hurricanes and throw them at enemy naval forces...and personal travel by ICBM (!?!)

I bet a NorK ICBM might have a passenger............disgruntled family member of the dictator LOL

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I read quite a bit, alternating between fiction and non-fiction. Currently reading the last book of "The Shadow Campaigns" which is fiction. It's basically a version of that Napoleanic wars, but the occult/magic is real. Demons can enter and take over a human, but most don't believe. It's written in a way that you often don't know who's "possessed" or magic, and who's just really really good at their job. Is a particularly scout magic, or just really good, or really several people pretending to be the same scout sort of stuff. Keeps the reader and the characters guessing. Also your never sure if the Napoleon substitute is really working for the country, to set up his own power, or for something occult.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I'm an old fart, I love to read actual books. Westerns, WWII, Civil War, Frontier history, Native American Indian history, some modern spy fiction.

P.S. I use a flip phone!

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Avid reader of both fiction and non-fiction. Last series I read was Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Currently working on a couple of books about early homesteading in Alaska. Mark Twain, Tom Clancy, William Forstchen, Ernie Pyle, Malcolm Gladwell, Allen Eckert, Peggy Noonan, Hunter S. Thompson, Ben Bova, Arthur C. Clarke, Robert Heinlein, George Orwell, and P.J. O'Rourke are in my rotation of favorite authors.

Top Bottom