12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    That was good, shared it on the book of face.

I used to be elementary school librarian, and saw what she is talking about all too often. It was amazing how you would talk to a parent about their kid stealing a book and be told "that's just what kids do".

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    She is very courageous for posting that. I agree with her 100%.

My Wife and Daughters are all educators and deal with this parental non-responsibility crap on a daily basis.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Parenting.........a soon to be lost art.

Parenting is hard. It is painful and rewarding.
    Tough love is fading. So very few willing to loose the kids friendships.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Good post, she nailed it. Back in the day, if I got in trouble in school, a worse fate awaited when I got home.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I also shared it on Facebook a few days ago, with this preface that I wrote:

"Fixing society's ills starts at home. Engage your kids. Hold them accountable for their behavior. Teach them responsibility, compassion, and empathy. Lead by example. Build their self-esteem without making them self-centered. Parenting is such a huge responsibility that I found it too daunting to ever take on, yet some jump in with no forethought whatsoever."

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Sadly, I’ve seen my grandson smack his mom & Dad in the face (he’ll be 5 in July), & they just tell him that’s wrong. He’s smacked PawPaw 1x & was not at all happy with the response. He’s rared back one other time, the lightbulb went off, he sheepishly grinned & put his arm down.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sadly, I’ve seen my grandson smack his mom & Dad in the face (he’ll be 5 in July), & they just tell him that’s wrong. He’s smacked PawPaw 1x & was not at all happy with the response. He’s rared back one other time, the lightbulb went off, he sheepishly grinned & put his arm down.

Children can be guided if the parents are capable. If any one of my grand kids act up in front of my kids the result is most unpleasant. They are held to task.

But they are still little terrorists....:):

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Just dealing with some parents as a coach for their kids was an enlightening experience. I can not imagine being a teacher.

Big nope as far as career choices for me. Sucks cause I think I would be good at it but damn if I am putting myself through the BS that passes for school now.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Good post, she nailed it. Back in the day, if I got in trouble in school, a worse fate awaited when I got home.

Same for my son now. He knows it and on the rare occasion when I have had a call from school, they knew it too. I won't tolerate bad behavior, in my home or anywhere my son is.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Yep, that wouldn't fly at all in my house either.

I liked this part
    Be the annoying mom that pries and knows what your kid is doing. STOP being their friend.
    because that is the way my wife and I parent (especially my wife, as she is just amazing at knowing what is going on).

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I have 4 teenagers. I've had people tell me I'm out of line because I will tell my kids to get their tablets/phones because I want to read their emails and messages. I've had other parents scold me for invading their privacy. My kids have friends who cant believe how mean my wife and I are because we make the kids check in periodically. My co-workers cant believe that I made my 16 year old get a job so that she could buy her own car, or that I make her pay her insurance and phone bill.

But my kids don't mind. They look at their friends and peers and cant believe how disrespectful and spoiled they are. My kids tell me that they wouldn't want me to be more permissive. My kids tell me that they appreciate our rules because they know that we care about them.

Its time that parents need to be parents and not their kids friend. Kids will have lots of friends in their lives. They only get 1 set of parents (or sometimes 2). I don't give my kids everything that they want so that they will like me. My responsibility is to train my kids to be productive adults. That is the best gift that I can give them.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I have 4 teenagers. I've had people tell me I'm out of line because I will tell my kids to get their tablets/phones because I want to read their emails and messages. I've had other parents scold me for invading their privacy. My kids have friends who cant believe how mean my wife and I are because we make the kids check in periodically. My co-workers cant believe that I made my 16 year old get a job so that she could buy her own car, or that I make her pay her insurance and phone bill.

But my kids don't mind. They look at their friends and peers and cant believe how disrespectful and spoiled they are. My kids tell me that they wouldn't want me to be more permissive. My kids tell me that they appreciate our rules because they know that we care about them.

Its time that parents need to be parents and not their kids friend. Kids will have lots of friends in their lives. They only get 1 set of parents (or sometimes 2). I don't give my kids everything that they want so that they will like me. My responsibility is to train my kids to be productive adults. That is the best gift that I can give them.

Your awesome and a minority. We belong to the same beliefs club here. I have 3 educators in the family and had 4 teenage kids at once. It’s hard and keep up the good work. All our kids are grown and thank us for what we did. This kids that had no parenting are still out of control.. it’s sad and hopefully they get it some day. Thanks for sharing. Tim

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Your awesome and a minority. We belong to the same beliefs club here. I have 3 educators in the family and had 4 teenage kids at once. It’s hard and keep up the good work. All our kids are grown and thank us for what we did. This kids that had no parenting are still out of control.. it’s sad and hopefully they get it some day. Thanks for sharing. Tim

I know I did things right with my girls

They are grown, married, own their home, have or has a family on the way. Good, respectable jobs, pay their bills on time.

I don't worry about my son being the same. Raising him the same as I raised them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Sounds very familiar. My kids are grown and on their own. They have repeatedly thanked us for how we were with them. I to have have parents (attempt) to belittle the spouse and I for our parenting. Funny thing.....most of their kids are abject snowflake failures. Not all but several. My kids are miles from perfect as we all are. But they know what it is to be parents.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

All sounds pretty reasonable to me. It seems that we have many parents who are focused on being their child's friend rather than an authority figure. Once your child is an adult then by all means move the relationship into a friendship, but until then boundaries need set.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All sounds pretty reasonable to me. It seems that we have many parents who are focused on being their child's friend rather than an authority figure. Once your child is an adult then by all means move the relationship into a friendship, but until then boundaries need set.

That is hard. Requires work and effort. Also heartache ensues. So many today are not up to the task.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    That is hard. Requires work and effort. Also heartache ensues. So many today are not up to the task.

One of the best lessons you can teach your kids is, “No.” You’re going to be told no your entire life whether your parents did or not. The sooner you learn to deal with it without throwing a fit, the better.

Top Bottom