• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Looking for some advice on a potential gift for a teenager. He's interested in aircraft and I thought a model of a P-51 might be something he would enjoy. The kit by Tamiya runs expensive (at least compared to when I was a kid!), but it looks great. 1/32 model.

Does anyone have experience with this kit? What do you think?

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Haven't built that model, but Tamiya is a good brand. Has he built models, is he interested in WWII aircraft? That should help with the decision.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Haven't built that model, but Tamiya is a good brand. Has he built models, is he interested in WWII aircraft? That should help with the decision.

Ditto. Tamiya has always made quality stuff. I've been buying from them since I was in grade school.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I don't have any direct experience with this kit, but can I ask what the teenager's skill level is? The one on Amazon is listed as advanced, meaning that for someone newer to scale modelling it might be at best a challenge, or at worst off putting.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yes, Tamiya kits are top notch. I have not built the particular one you are referring to, but of the numerous ones I have built, they are extremely detailed and well molded. As others have said/asked, if his skill level is beyond "beginner" he'll be able to build a crazy accurate model of a P-51.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Just a thought but it may be worthwhile going to a local modelling store with the teenager and chatting with the staff there. Most of those places are pretty knowledgeable about the individual kits, skill levels, etc. and should be able to offer some great advice, or have the kit there that you can look at for yourselves.

Worst case that the kit is outside his current skill level then that gives him a goal to reach towards. He can start out with some more basic kits to learn the techniques (sub-assemblies, pinning, gap filling, painting, shades, washes, weathering, decals, etc.), and by the time he is ready for the Tamiya kit he can make it a proper centerpiece to showcase his skills.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Built a lot of stuff when I was a kid, it sounds like people still do this. I always enjoyed it, hope your teenager does as well.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yup. We used to buy 2 or 3 kits from the same brand and make our own cars. After doing this a few times we had so many parts and got really creative.

That's what's called "kitbashing". Back before CGI was a thing, a lot of the spaceships and such were made from model kit parts, like Battlestar Galactica and the Death Star. If you can get a good still image, you can see where something was made out of the tops of tanks or whatever.

I'll concur on Tamiya; they always kept the fit and details to very tight tolerances, and as a measurement guy I appreciate that.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I miss the old Revell and Monogram models from the 60's and 70's. I remember building this one as a kid.

234321-12192-37-pristine.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Is Revell still in business? I remember building a lot of their stuff in the 60s.

Have a box full of ROCO tanks in the attic somewhere.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Thanks for the input. This boy knows what he is about and is very handy with tools. He has more patience than I do (which isn't all that hard to do :) ).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's what's called "kitbashing". Back before CGI was a thing, a lot of the spaceships and such were made from model kit parts, like Battlestar Galactica and the Death Star. If you can get a good still image, you can see where something was made out of the tops of tanks or whatever.

I'll concur on Tamiya; they always kept the fit and details to very tight tolerances, and as a measurement guy I appreciate that.

Never heard that term but yes, we were doing this in the early to mid 60's. Buy a really detailed 57 chevy. Buy a Garlits swamp rat fueler kit in the same scale. Look though the cool spares box and find a gasser front axle......Bing.....Blown hemi gasser style 57 with the Swamp rat rear slicks. Detailed out to the 9's.
    They used to have model car shows at the toy and hobby in the shopping center. We always had cars (models) in it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Top Bottom