• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Found out today who owns the dog that bit me and damaged our property and killed our chickens. I spoke with animal control and obtained his information. It appears that he does not want to file a claim under his home owners and wants to make things right. I figured up all the damages it came in just under $1k I figured the cost of the broken coop the dogs damaged, cost of the chickens, lost time from work since I couldn't bill out the time during the incident, I also figured $65.00 for a u haul since we no longer have a truck. I also figured $ for compensation for the bite its self.

Does this seem out of line? I don't want to be a jerk, but by the same token I don't want to be out money for someone's dogs that came onto our property and wreaked havoc.

Thoughts

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    Maybe there is another thread somewhere with more detail, but I'm not sure based on what you have provided how you came up with $1K. How many chickens were killed? How much time did you miss from work? Chicken coop totally destroyed, or just needs to be repaired? Did you seek medical treatment for the bite?

Sounds like you've added a multiplier for frustration, and that might not be appropriate is this case.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Maybe there is another thread somewhere with more detail, but I'm not sure based on what you have provided how you came up with $1K. How many chickens were killed? How much time did you miss from work? Chicken coop totally destroyed, or just needs to be repaired? Did you seek medical treatment for the bite?

Sounds like you've added a multiplier for frustration, and that might not be appropriate is this case.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iscussion/449900-used-my-edc-carry-today.html

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I have never seen Judge Judy give credit for lost time at work. The U haul seems kinda out of line too. A dog bite on the other hand could be a big deal. Were the dog's vaccinations up to date?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Go for it... He may or may not agree and offer a bit less. Best case is he accepts. Only thing i could think of make sure it covered all medical expenses and everything. Not sure you could go back for more if for some reason you didnt get enough the first time.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011

Yes this was a spin off of used my Edc in general firearms forumn.

All the framing on the side of the coop was broken and fencing wire bent all over, it was purchased from Tsc so I don't think it was ever meant to be repaired its a $250 coop, 4 birds killed two hens and Two of my sons 4 H roosters, an ambulance was dispatched I declined transport ( I figured I was not going to use something when others may have a life threatening emergency) the sheriff's department called for the ambulance because of blood loss. I lost about 3 hours work then had to work well into the evening to get stuff done that I should have been doing earlier. I also went to walk in clinic which I did not alot any money for because there was no deductible in network. Had it not been for the dog bite I would not have had to spend my time doing something I did not want to.

Additionally I spent three days worrying about rabis shots. And yes I did add $400 for compensation for being bit on my own property.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I have never seen Judge Judy give credit for lost time at work. The U haul seems kinda out of line too. A dog bite on the other hand could be a big deal. Were the dog's vaccinations up to date?
    Just curious why you think its out of line? We no longer have a truck so we have no way of moving it. If we ordered it on line the shipping would be more than the cost of a uhaul.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Go for it... He may or may not agree and offer a bit less. Best case is he accepts. Only thing i could think of make sure it covered all medical expenses and everything. Not sure you could go back for more if for some reason you didnt get enough the first time.
    That's what I was thinking I estimated low and I figured if he refuses then I just go after his liability carrier.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    If you took him to court I'm betting you'd get a lot more than that being bitten. If you feel 1k is fair I bet he will pay you in a heartbeat
    From what I am told average dog bite claim gets settled between $5 to $8k to settle. I don't want to be a jerk but I think I have my bases covered.

Clear liability
    Documented property damage
    Video of dog in question killing chickens, and biting me
    Sheriff's and Animal control reports

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Does that include the lost time going to pick it up?
    No not really just cost of uhaul not including time, fuel, realistically it going to be about a 3 hour deal to get to uhaul p!ace go to tsc then home and then back to uhaul. That's why I didn't think it was out of line, around here they charge for mileage fees and taxes.

Top Bottom