• ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    86   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Who is into listening to music?

By that I mean really taking it all in. Wife walks in and I've been home alone with the dogs all evening. Pink Floyd is jamming on the stereo and I'm sitting in my lazyboy, in the dark.

Wife: "What are you doing?"
    Me: "listening to music."
    Wife: "And? That's it? Nothing else? You're just sitting here in the dark listening to music? Not doing anything while it's playing?"
    Me: "Yeah, I'm doing something... I'm listening to the music."

Now she is 6 years younger that I but still, a woman of her age, (late 40s) you'd think would remember sitting around listening to records. The younger crowd like our kids (both in college) never did anything like that. I'm just wondering if INGO people out there just play music in the background, or really listen to every little subtle detail of the song when it's on. If there is a song playing that I like... shut up. Sure, sometimes you just want to rock out to Kiss or AC/DC, but I'm talking about real musical, or complicated stuff like Pink Floyd. Off the wall stuff with a lot of detail, time change, different instruments, sounds... Vocals in harmony can be real cool too.

Pink Floyd
    Electric Light Orchestra
    Alan Parsons Project
    Eagles (great vocals)
    Led Zeppelin (really listen... not just rock)
    Styx
    Symphony music. Classics like Beethoven, Wagner, Tchaikovsky
    Andrew LLoyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera

I also have to have a quality sound system. Can't stand cheap sounding speakers and such. I like loud, but it doesn't have to be loud all the time. It DOES, however, have to sound good. Strong tight bottom end, (not the mushy boomy crap like the ported boxes you hear in the ghetto blasting cars) with warm mids, and crisp (but not harsh) highs. When I was a young Private in West Germany in 1981, a lot of us spent all out money on albums and fancy stereos... Now, even my laptop has Bose speakers.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Yes to all of the above.

But you haven't heard Pink Floyd until you've listened to the album Animals in a closet with the speakers pointed just right. On acid.

Or so I've heard.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    86   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I'll take your word for it. Not into acid... To me, the music is almost what I think the drugs must be like.

Funny, my wife thinks Pink Floyd is music for druggies... She can't get why I like it. I don't even drink alcohol.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I can put pink floyd learning to fly or comfortably numb on repeat while welding and completely zone out in fact if i get worked up and need to calm down thats what i do. I get to focus in on every word and note and get my own light show.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    My wife and I have always listened to alot of music.My 11 year old daughter got bit by the bug also.She now has permission to spin the 33's without us being around.MC,you make me feel old.I remember the year and place I heard Animals the first time.That was more then 40 years ago.Time for a nap.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Yes. And my favorite pink floyd album to sit in the dark and just (decompress) listen to is "Wish you were here"

OP:
    Next time, try this with Grateful Dead "One From the Vault"
    :cool:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have always had pretty good sound systems. We have 2 in the house and a killer in my shop. Music is the back drop for most activity's if not just watching the tube and melting into the recliner couch.

Everything that I grew up with.
    About anything from the Beetles. Some Lennon and McCartney solo stuff.
    Jethro Tull
    Kansas
    Ozzy from the Sabbath to solo.
    Old James Gang.
    Chicago.
    Queen.
    Floyd and yes I too have heard that Animals on acid in a dark closet is a trip unto itself.
    Capt. Beyond
    There is so much more but the music has to match the mood.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Cars-Complete Great Hits
    Chicago-Great Hits
    E.L.O, - Best of ELO
    Queen - Great Hit-We will rock you
    Aerosmith- Aerosmith Great Hit
    Genesis - Turn It On Again - The Hits
    Heart - Great Hits
    Eric Clapton - The Millennium Collection
    Pink Floyd - The Wall
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of the Moon
    Led Zeppelin - 1, 2, 3, 4..
    Steely Dan - DecADE of Steel Dan
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Complete
    Bob Seger - Live Bullet
    CCR - Revival
    Bad Company- Bad Company
    Journey - Greatest Hit
    Fleetwood Mac - Greatest Hits
    Eagles - Great Hits- 1971-1975

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    We have always had pretty good sound systems. We have 2 in the house and a killer in my shop. Music is the back drop for most activity's if not just watching the tube and melting into the recliner couch.

Everything that I grew up with.
    About anything from the Beetles. Some Lennon and McCartney solo stuff.
    Jethro Tull
    Kansas
    Ozzy from the Sabbath to solo.
    Old James Gang.
    Chicago.
    Queen.
    Floyd and yes I too have heard that Animals on acid in a dark closet is a trip unto itself.
    Capt. Beyond
    There is so much more but the music has to match the mood.

I once took apart a small block Chevy engine in your garage while Freebird was playing on the radio. It was like an out-of-body experience.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    We may be the last generation (excluding a few younger audiophiles) to realize that MP3s sound thin and crappy, that a better musical experience exists if you work at it :fogey:

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    A Momentary Lapse of Reason is my favorite Pink Floyd album. I zone out and just become absorbed into the experience of listening. Division Bell being a close second. Wish You Were Here is a great disc too (I have the album cover art tattooed on my forearm).

I just do not get the opportunity to sit and listen to an album clear through much anymore. The three albums mentioned above, as well as The Wallflowers: Bring Down the Horse may as well be time machines. I always feel like I am back to those times when either I was first hearing the music or the days when it was new and suddenly I am back to being a 17 year old again.

Next time you have time to just sit and listen to music in the dark, try it with a nice set of headphones on. It changes the experience. For me it is like doing the nestle plunge into the music. This is my preferred method to listen to the first two albums mentioned above.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom