• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So... Saturday night I went to a fundraiser for Happy Hollow camp. It's run by the parents of a good friend's husband. We went, had some wine/beer and bid on some of the silent auction items. Then dinner started and Abdul was the emcee (yes, I got a pic with him later). They started the live auction and I marveled at the people bidding up a butchered pig, half a cow, a toy box, botox party, and a few other things. Then it was time for the South African safari. My wife has always wanted to go to Africa and see an elephant. She has been fascinated with the things. She's turning 40 this year and our 15th anniversary is next year. I figure, why not.

The bidding starts and I say nothing for about a minute. Then I look at her and ask "should we do it? It's for the kids" since it's a fundraiser. She says sure. So I bid, then rebid, and bid again. Eventually it gets up to where I'm a bit uncomfortable with the price and tell the guy I'm out. This was real high-pressure auctioneering with a speech-impediment sounding caller and several spotters looking for bidders. When I told my wife we should stop she said fine. Then I said "I'll take you to jamaica instead". She replies with "do they have elephants in jamaica?" *sigh*. stand up, paddle up, "IT's FOR THE KIDS!" Hah. Eventually me and the one guy stopped, the auctioneer then said "good news, we have two, you both win!". I did not see that coming. Now my eyes are open. Fortunately we got outbid on all of the silent auction items, and I ate 1.5 desserts, so that helps defray the cost a bit.

Anyway, it was really exciting for a bit, then reality set in. We wanted to bring the kids but our oldest has a seizure disorder and a peanut allergy and that's a REALLY long flight into the middle of nowhere. So she was really upset wondering what to do. We finally decided to just go the two of us. Looks like we can get a flight that has a 10hr layover in Zurich or somewhere in Italy. Should be able to at least head out for lunch somewhere and a little sight seeing during the layover. Eventually will land in Johannesburg and then it's a 4.5hr drive to the lodges.

I am beyond excited. They have WiFi there so I should be able to post pics along the way. Assuming of course we do decide to go rather than just make it a donation. That's always possible given how quickly life can change. But for now I am stoked! :rockwoot:

Going to rewatch the simpsons african trip episode now. brb

JoshuaS4227

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2018
    Greenfield
    Wicked cool! It’s on my bucket list to go to S. Africa. I have met some really cool people from there (and I want to see penguins). Congrats & have fun.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    We expect pictures.

Remember, if you don't want anyone to mess with you, you have to go find the biggest elephant you can, and then punch it.
    No one will bother you after that.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Doc, don't forget to allow in the budget for any "incidentals" your wife may need. De Beers is headquartered there, there is lots of gold, and Tanzania isn't that far away if a little more color is needed :)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    She keeps talking about the seashells over there and how we have to try to see them. Unfortunately we won’t be by the coast. what is so special about African seashells anyway? :dunno:

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Cool! When do you go? What species are included?

Recently at a NWTF dinner the SA safari went for 1/2 the $ as a turkey hunt in Mexico. I'm sure the travel expenses will be more.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Hell yes! This is a once in a lifetime experience (if that since most want to go but never bite the bullet and go). Totally happy for you guys.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Congrats Doc! I will be making my first trip to South Africa in June for 7 days of hunting on a large ranch in the Eastern Cape. Although it is primarily geared toward hunting safaris, the Africa Hunting Forum has a lot of info about South Africa that could be useful for you.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    :subscribe: Something I’ve had on my wish list for a while. Although I’d prefer to mix in a little bow hunting while down there.

Top Bottom