What do you wish gun magazine articles would cover?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I know most of us who've been interested in guns and their uses have noticed magazines tend to run a few different articles repeatedly, with only a few changes.

1) Here's the latest "Glock Killer" product placement/reviews.
    2) Glock vs 1911
    3) Is your j-frame enough?
    4) Here's a new product I'm compensated to review and believe you'll die if you don't have it RIGHT NOW
    5) "Tack driver" "Ran 100% for the 35 rounds I put through it" "Flawless" reviews.

So, what's something you're interested in, would like an expert opinion on, but seems to fall through the cracks? Guns, tactics, legal concerns, anything at all related to guns and defensive use.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    More of the history...History is hardly taught in schools any more and rarely in gun magazines.....I like the back page of The American Rifleman's "I have this old gun"....More of that...

I know you are like totally shocked this is what I want to see more of.....

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    More of the history...History is hardly taught in schools any more and rarely in gun magazines.....I like the back page of The American Rifleman's "I have this old gun"....More of that...

I know you are like totally shocked this is what I want to see more of.....

I'd respond, but I've fainted from the surprise.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Are magazines still a thing?

Amongst us geezers??? Yes...I try to read the smart phone when in the little half bath... Er... "office" we have and it's just not the same...I keep Backwoodsman and Surplus Firearms in a rack in reserve in the little office....I have a huge selection of gun magazines here at the shop...(Ask BBI...I mean a TON!)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    More self defense and combat application articles instead of stupid took it to the range and shot a dueling tree with it bla bla bla.
    I like guns and accessories that have survived being dropped off a mountain and dragged behind a pickup truck.
    I don't buy many pretty guns. Sure some I own are, but i like combat application stuff.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I'd respond, but I've fainted from the surprise.

My work clothes give it away huh???

geary1.jpg

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Are magazines still a thing?

Now you made ME feel old. Lol.
    I have boxes and boxes of gun magazines. Good info that I can quickly look up and hold in my hand and read. I'm not good at operating the internet or computer but I'm good at reading a magazine.
    I hate to think how much money I've spent over the years on gun magazines and books. Most magazines anymore are $8 or more.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Amongst us geezers??? Yes...I try to read the smart phone when in the little half bath... Er... "office" we have and it's just not the same...I keep Backwoodsman and Surplus Firearms in a rack in reserve in the little office....I have a huge selection of gun magazines here at the shop...(Ask BBI...I mean a TON!)

Do you have to had a subscription? I honestly can’t remember the last time I saw a magazine rack in a store. Most the car mags I used to read aren’t even published anymore.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Now you made ME feel old. Lol.
    I have boxes and boxes of gun magazines. Good info that I can quickly look up and hold in my hand and read. I'm not good at operating the internet or computer but I'm good at reading a magazine.
    I hate to think how much money I've spent over the years on gun magazines and books. Most magazines anymore are $8 or more.

I believe you and I are the same age. I definitely remember magazines, and used to have subscriptions to several.
    I honestly thought most we’re a thing of the past.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I love Mas Ayoob's articles in American Handgunner called the Ayoob Files. Real life lessons from gunfights, old and new. It's the first thing I read when I get the magazine.

Also, the gun rags always have news on the latest and greatest guns. How about follow-ups on these a few years later. Did the gun turn out to be a flop? Better than expected?

I still read magazines a lot. I have time at work, 30-60 mins or so at least once a day most days where I can't have anything electrical. So Sudoku and gun magazines are what I read. So to me, they are still very relevant.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I love Mas Ayoob's articles in American Handgunner called the Ayoob Files. Real life lessons from gunfights, old and new. It's the first thing I read when I get the magazine.

Also, the gun rags always have news on the latest and greatest guns. How about follow-ups on these a few years later. Did the gun turn out to be a flop? Better than expected?

I still read magazines a lot. I have time at work, 30-60 mins or so at least once a day most days where I can't have anything electrical. So Sudoku and gun magazines are what I read. So to me, they are still very relevant.

I used to get a ton of Gun magazines and American Handgunner was my favorite, and the Ayoob stuff was always good. AH always had the best photography as well. I may need to subscribe again. There was a time when you could get free digital editions of AH (and even download them and past issues), but looks like they have made that a paid service now.

I may need to subscribe to them. A while back I got something from them offering like 5 years for like $35 or something ridiculous. If I got that in the mail again today, I would subscribe.

That said, Guns and Ammo, and alot of the other magazines just got sad. Their content was just a joke and seemed like shills for the industry/advertisers, etc.

Gun Tests was a good publication in some ways because they did not have advertisers and would actually say a gun malfunctioned, etc, but due to no advertisers their publication quality was kind of poor and of course price was a bit higher.

I'd like to have a decent quality production value publication that told it like it is on gun reviews, and also had regular stuff like the Ayoob files.

At one time I bought some back issues of some 1980's and early 90's gun magazines at Half Price Books just to read the guys I grew up with again.

Honestly, I get a lot of what I got out of gun magazines in the past from INGO now.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have always liked reading stuff from Mas Ayoob. Stuff where he takes real events and disects them into a lessons learned article.
    I also prefer more articles about training/tactics/ mindset.
    I also like historical gun stories.
    I typically just skip over almost any gun reviews. They are all the same..go buy this gun. Oh and I understand a knife is a good addition to an EDC kit. BUT I do not want to read about any knives in my gun magazines.

Top Bottom