• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    My sister sent this to me this morning... I guess this means I shouldn't spend it on any more German-owned American-made guns, huh? Lars says to just get a S&W. :):

How to use your IRS Rebate check

As you may have heard, the Administration said
    each of us would get a rebate check to stimulate
    the economy.

If we spend that money at Wal-Mart, all the money
    will go to China. If we spend it on gasoline it will go to the Arabs,
    if we purchase a computer it will go to India, if we purchase fruit and
    vegetables it will go to Mexico, Honduras, and Guatemala, if we

purchase a good car it will go to Japan, if we purchase useless crap
    it will go to Taiwan and none of it will help the American economy.

We need to keep that money here in America.
    The only way to keep that money here at home is to spend it at yard
    sales, since those are the only businesses still in the US.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Spend it on training. It's an investment in yourself. With a few notable exceptions, I don't think there are very many foreign owned training companies in the US.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    It's the Saturday before Father's Day, which does about 0.0001% less business for us than the week before Christmas (seriously).... If I offer to work Sunday I might get out of Saturday, but I'll have to ask.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    All my cash surplus seems to go to Bloomington these days. One more year and I'm free!:rockwoot:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    How to use your IRS Rebate check

As you may have heard, the Administration said
    each of us would get a rebate check to stimulate
    the economy.
    FALSE. Many of us do not qualify for the rebate check.
    If we spend that money at Wal-Mart, all the money
    will go to China.
    TRUE, in fact Wal-Mart is a full 1% of the entire Chinese economy, and while 1% doesn't sound like a lot, it is HUGE.
    If we spend it on gasoline it will go to the Arabs
    FALSE, only about 22% of our oil comes from the middle east. The biggest exporter of oil to the USA is Canada.
    if we purchase a computer it will go to India
    FALSE. Very little technology items sold in the US are produced in India, although India does have support centers for many US based technology companies.
    if we purchase fruit and vegetables it will go to Mexico, Honduras, and Guatemala
    FALSE. Most of our summer fruits and veggies are grown in various parts of the USA. Out of season fruits and vegetables are imported, our largest suppliers are south American partners like Brazil.
    if we purchase a good car it will go to Japan
    TRUE and FALSE. There are many good cars produced in the US, Japan and Europe. The best trucks and SUVs are produced here.
    if we purchase useless crap it will go to Taiwan
    DEFINE USELESS CRAP! Generally this is FALSE. Taiwan is the CAPITALISTIC island off the coast of China that is our strategic and economic friend. Many high quality computer parts are produced there.
    and none of it will help the American economy.
    FALSE. Much of it will help the US economy, it simply depends on what you actually buy. Read the label before you buy. But more importantly ignore emails from your sister, or at least check them for accuracy!!!

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Sorry, Mel.. it was just meant to be funny (indicated by the line "The only way to keep that money here at home is to spend it at yard sales, since those are the only businesses still in the US."... which I'm positive is 100% TRUE). I usually do ignore emails from my sister, and better still, when I think it might actually be taken seriously by her or the fifty people she's passed it on to, I check it out on Snopes.com first and let her know how inadequately informed she is.

[sarcasm]I apologize that my attempt to be cute caused so much distress.[/sarcasm]

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I know it was meant to be funny and I hate to make posts like I did, but the reality is that a lot of people actually believe the stuff that gets passed along. Unfortunately most people think that we do get most of our oil from the middle east and that Wal Mart is an American company.

Emails like that get posted on a lot of the internet forums, get passed from family member to family member and probably are accepted as 'fact' by a majority of people because most people don't dig into the truth. I apologize if I came down too hard on you, it was not my intent, but I do feel that we should correct errors.

ON A SIMILAR NOTE, Not too long ago there was an email going around saying that several gasoline retailers were owned by Venezualian dictator Hugo Chavez. Those were blatantly wrong, but I saw those posted all over the place. For the record, Valero is an AMERICAN oil company and CITGO is a VENEZUALAN oil company.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I don't think I've seen the emails about Valero vs. Citgo, but Snopes has seen the email and its various versions. Allow me to add cited sources to the conversation:
    Urban Legends Reference Pages: Citgo Boycott/Buycott

And here's their data (again, cited) on just what the US oil consumption breakdown is by country:
    Urban Legends Reference Pages: Saudi Gas Boycott

But in any case, I'm going to take Mike and Shay's suggestions and spend any extra income we get on trainings about safe firearm handling and care, which are services I can acquire here in Indiana specifically. :)

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    But in any case, I'm going to take Mike and Shay's suggestions and spend any extra income we get on safe firearm handling and care, which are services I can acquire here in Indiana specifically. :)

Primarily using ammo reloaded in Indiana too ;)
    of course most of the raw materials come from elsewhere. :do2::do2::do2:

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I think I'm gonna get a hooker with my tax check. That way I know the money is staying in the country, and I'm stimulating more than the economy!

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    You are already an excellent and safe shooter Pami. With some training you will be even better :do2:

I'm going to take Mike and Shay's suggestions and spend any extra income we get on trainings about safe firearm handling and care, which are services I can acquire here in Indiana specifically. :)

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I think I'm gonna get a hooker with my tax check. That way I know the money is staying in the country, and I'm stimulating more than the economy!

I think that sounds like an *excellent* idea. Mike, Shay, sorry... I suddenly can't afford weapons training anymore... :):

And Mike.. thank you for your kind words. Zombie ears and Terrorists' timepieces better watch out for my expert marksmanship! :D

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I think that sounds like an *excellent* idea. Mike, Shay, sorry... I suddenly can't afford weapons training anymore... :):

And Mike.. thank you for your kind words. Zombie ears and Terrorists' timepieces better watch out for my expert marksmanship! :D

If Pami's getting Hookers, I guess I'm grabbing the Canon. After selling the photos online, I shouldn't have any trouble at all affording Firearms training.

:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

Top Bottom