• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    it's a short story: Found a car out of town that I'd like (manual, turbo subaru baja lightly modded just about how I'd like it). price isn't bad. the problem: it's on the far side of PA and the seller is still paying off the loan. ~5500 for wells fargo (yea, them) to release the title but they'll take 3-10 days so I can't just show up with the cash and walk out with it (unlike when I sold my last truck where they had it in town) and they wont act as an intermediary (me pay off the loan here, have him sign it, and they send it to me).

No red flags talking to the guy or in the ad (Not super cheap like a scam, incrementally cheaper as it doesn't sell because of the title and being modded) but paying for a car without getting a title is one of the cardinal sins of buying a used car private party and the wife's vehemently veto'd any conversation involving the concept of trust.

Only way I can come up with not to leave it to faith is going out there and getting notarized bill of sale with the car. What says the hive mind? Notarized BOS good enough to force a title out of the state should the seller fail to mail it?

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I know, I know but I want thiiiiiisssss one:dunno:

To be clear, the distance isn't the concern and the mods are preferred. While manual turbo Bajas can be found, they aren't particularly common and are usually bone stock and pristine for a premium or all used up and then some. This one's used just enough to be reasonable but still have some life left, mods lower the value on paper but are pretty much what I'd do given the choice (I'm a mechanic by schooling and I've bought a lot rougher stuff before). I'm looking for the legal weight of a notarized BOS. If it has enough clout to get something done at the BMV, I don't mind the rest. If it's only worth the paper it's written on then forget it.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    He can't get Wells Fargo to have the title sent to his local branch? It should be the same 3-10 days, but if it's already there for payoff, you should be able to walk away with it that day.

Of course, all of my experience is with credit unions and small local banks.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I had a motorcycle loan through teachers credit union. I called the local branch and they had the title mailed to them. Went in and paid off the loan and walked away with the title.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    What is the guy’s solution to the title issue?

”trust me, i’ll send it?”

because a hard to find vehicle at a great price seems shady enough, then to add title issues...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    i
    Only way I can come up with not to leave it to faith is going out there and getting notarized bill of sale with the car. What says the hive mind? Notarized BOS good enough to force a title out of the state should the seller fail to mail it?

Then if he doesn't take the cash and pay off the loan, the bank repo's it and you lost.

An escrow service is the only way to truly protect yourself if the bank won't act as the intermediary. Depending on the cost of the car, a reputable escrow could add to the cost significantly.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Then if he doesn't take the cash and pay off the loan, the bank repo's it and you lost.

An escrow service is the only way to truly protect yourself if the bank won't act as the intermediary. Depending on the cost of the car, a reputable escrow could add to the cost significantly.

ha, I'm not that trusting. We'd go to the bank, hand them the money, and confirm the loan's clear/titles on it's way.

Thought of an escrow, I don't think that'd work though, I could see one working if it were a matter of getting the car and title but I don't think the bank'll release the title until they have the payment the escrow would be holding.

I tried calling WF but the branch folks don't want to talk and I can't get through the corp. VM unless I'm the customer.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    What is the guy’s solution to the title issue?

”trust me, i’ll send it?”

because a hard to find vehicle at a great price seems shady enough, then to add title issues...

I walked away from a deal in town because the vehicle seller had a lien from an out of state bank and I could not easily find a good way to deal with it and the seller was wanting to go the trust me route. Ended up buying a different one from someone with no lien.

When I sold a vehicle that still had a small lien on it, I was able to contact my credit union and they were able to make the title available locally and we just went to the bank and did the deal.

ha, I'm not that trusting. We'd go to the bank, hand them the money, and confirm the loan's clear/titles on it's way.

Thought of an escrow, I don't think that'd work though, I could see one working if it were a matter of getting the car and title but I don't think the bank'll release the title until they have the payment the escrow would be holding.

I tried calling WF but the branch folks don't want to talk and I can't get through the corp. VM unless I'm the customer.

They likely don't want to talk to you because you are not their customer. Did the seller try and contact them?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We bought our custom conversion van from a private seller and he had a lien on it. He wanted pay off and lunch. We went to his branch, paid it off and I bought him lunch. Of course this was local. Any more complicated than that and deal breaker.
    Just me. I trust no stranger when it comes to money and only a handful of close friends.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Pay a dealer to do an "in and out." You'll have to pay legitimate sales tax (none of the "just put $500 as the selling price." and a document fee) but at that point the dealer is responsible for getting the title to you and they'll print you a temporary tag for 31 days. Anything short of that is a crap shoot.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Apparently you just have to know how to ask the question. after a bit of persuading of the menu (ignoring the invalid selection warning and continuing to hit 0) it turns out Wells Fargo is willing to send me the title directly with the right paperwork filled out. While it is wells fargo, I'm not giving them enough info to open an account and it's a bit less risky than trusting a private party (they have nothing to gain or lose).

Now I just have to make it past the Ohio State highway patrol without cruise control with near 300 whp.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Done this before. I've paid and had a contract written up, signed, and notarized. When I paid, I took the car with me. Then just waited for the title in the mail.

Also depends on how the people are. If they seem shady, I've walked away from deals I really wanted before.

It also helps in these kinds of circumstances if they're home owners and I meet them at their house. If they're trustworthy, they won't care if you know where to find them ;)

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Done this before. I've paid and had a contract written up, signed, and notarized. When I paid, I took the car with me. Then just waited for the title in the mail.

Also depends on how the people are. If they seem shady, I've walked away from deals I really wanted before.

It also helps in these kinds of circumstances if they're home owners and I meet them at their house. If they're trustworthy, they won't care if you know where to find them ;)

Haha, true enough. Thanks to the glory of the internet (GIS, zillow, etc) I can see there is a house deeded to the guys name at the address given, pics, tax records, etc lol. crazy age we live in and a significant % of this great power is devoted to cat videos :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Haha, true enough. Thanks to the glory of the internet (GIS, zillow, etc) I can see there is a house deeded to the guys name at the address given, pics, tax records, etc lol. crazy age we live in and a significant % of this great power is devoted to cat videos :dunno:

So.....are you getting the car...???

:)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom