• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    My son gave me this car and I am looking into fixing it instead of driving my. F250 daily.. auto tranny,it has 77000 miles 1 owner and looks great for the year. Any one have any experience with this issue. Thanks

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Look at the fluid on the dipstick. If it is not pinkish red see if it stinks. If it does back off and nuke it from orbit. It is the only way to be sure.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I read on about solenoids being bad and might be a easy fix. I have to get it on the trailer and drop the pan. It may be a summer fix. Or I have the tannerite option as a back up... or a INGO event ..could always throw it reverse and shoot it until it stops..

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    Look at the fluid on the dipstick. If it is not pinkish red see if it stinks. If it does back off and nuke it from orbit. It is the only way to be sure.

Like dead bodies 2 days later. Even if you never smelled a burnt tranny before smelling the fluid will REALLY stink. Strange all would go out but reverse. I would bet computer issue, tranny is computer controlled. If you take it to a tranny shop they WILL sell you a new tranny. Try Harbor Freight. They sell scanners as cheap as $35-$40. Follow the EASY to read instructions and it will tell you if it's a tranny problem or a computer problem. I will give you 3-1 its a computer problem.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Like dead bodies 2 days later. Even if you never smelled a burnt tranny before smelling the fluid will REALLY stink. Strange all would go out but reverse. I would bet computer issue, tranny is computer controlled. If you take it to a tranny shop they WILL sell you a new tranny. Try Harbor Freight. They sell scanners as cheap as $35-$40. Follow the EASY to read instructions and it will tell you if it's a tranny problem or a computer problem. I will give you 3-1 its a computer problem.

In this are you getting a check engine or any codes.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    My bet would be a fwd clutch burnt up. Computer issue you should be able to unplug it and put it in failsafe and have 1 fwd gear and reverse.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    In this are you getting a check engine or any codes.
    i haven’t picked the car up yet. May not if it needs too much. My son said that it sometimes had forward gears and he moved it around to mow and now it seems to only have reverse. I’m going over to look at it this week.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Its likely not electrical. You would still have forward movement if a shift solenoid was bad. Like someone said up thread. Smell the fluid. Thats gonna tell you a bunch. More than likely the forward clutch pack is smoked. Likely gonna need an overhaul, which depending on shop, could run ya anywhere from $1200 and up.

Fawkes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Get the DTC codes, borrow a scan tool. Make sure you have adequate ATF fluid and check the condition as has already been recommended. Sounds like the solenoids/valve body could have issues allowing ATF to flow properly. I suspect a good used transmission is not all that expensive and much easier than trying to revive this one.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    My son gave me this car and I am looking into fixing it instead of driving my. F250 daily.. auto tranny,it has 77000 miles 1 owner and looks great for the year. Any one have any experience with this issue. Thanks

So my real experience with this. It's more than likely toast.

Awhile back our neighbors had a Nissan Maxima with the same problem. Dude was so cheap he drove it all the way to Aamco early in the morning in reverse. They checked it out and of course it needed a rebuild for, yep a grand. Everything is a grand these days. So he drove it back home in reverse, and parked it in the cul de sac. It sat there for a few months before I approached him about purchasing the vehicle. Before I made an offer I did research on the vehicle. It was a solid vehicle with alot of options for its time. In my research I found a junkyard that had the tranny in stock for a good price and a 30 day warranty. Place on Tibbs in Indianapolis, cant remember the name but they specialize in Imports. So I bought the car from him for $200 bucks. Got a Haynes manual for about $15 dollars. Spent the next 2 leisurely weekends swapping the transmission with my dad. Working with my dad has always been fun because he sits on one of those roll around stools with a beer in his hand telling you have everything needs to be done. Used to be annoying, but now I wouldn't have it any other way.

Any way I digress. Bought the car for $200, used tranny was $500. Did the swap ran great. $700 transportation, cant beat that.

Be careful installing the torque converter. I nicked the input shaft seal, got to pull the tranny twice.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So my real experience with this. It's more than likely toast.

Awhile back our neighbors had a Nissan Maxima with the same problem. Dude was so cheap he drove it all the way to Aamco early in the morning in reverse. They checked it out and of course it needed a rebuild for, yep a grand. Everything is a grand these days. So he drove it back home in reverse, and parked it in the cul de sac. It sat there for a few months before I approached him about purchasing the vehicle. Before I made an offer I did research on the vehicle. It was a solid vehicle with alot of options for its time. In my research I found a junkyard that had the tranny in stock for a good price and a 30 day warranty. Place on Tibbs in Indianapolis, cant remember the name but they specialize in Imports. So I bought the car from him for $200 bucks. Got a Haynes manual for about $15 dollars. Spent the next 2 leisurely weekends swapping the transmission with my dad. Working with my dad has always been fun because he sits on one of those roll around stools with a beer in his hand telling you have everything needs to be done. Used to be annoying, but now I wouldn't have it any other way.

Any way I digress. Bought the car for $200, used tranny was $500. Did the swap ran great. $700 transportation, cant beat that.

Be careful installing the torque converter. I nicked the input shaft seal, got to pull the tranny twice.

Put some trannyfluid on the seal and pump drive snout on the converter. Just be gentle.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Replace the torque converter too. I bet it's not a hard job if you have a few skills.

+1
    Never reuse a torque converter off a failed unit because if something has failed it has contaminated the converter. The replacement unit should come with one. Flushing the lines and replacing the cooler are also recommended.

Top Bottom