Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    Working PI with injury
    E 10th St. and N Emerson Ave.
    PI run Dispatched at 9:24 AM
    Initial Dispatch for residence fire with possible entrapment 417 N LaSalle at 9:22 AM
    6 IFD Units Dispatched to crash
    IMPD on Scene – Investigating Crash
    Utilities Secured
    One Firefighter slight injury – transported by IEMS M20 to Methodist to be checked for back injury – now released and back to work
    Battalion Chief Jim McNair

Engine 20 and Ladder 20 were headed South on Emerson Ave to run at 417 N LaSalle St.
    Driver of white Chevy truck – 53 year old B/M headed West on 10th St - Driver uninjured

4 Firefighters and 1 Civilian are lucky to be ok after a collision in the intersection of 10th and Emerson earlier this morning. Engine 20 was responding emergent to a reported residence fire with possible entrapment when the collision occurred. Engine 20 had cleared the intersection and proceeded though – was halfway into the westbound lanes of 10th St. when they collided with the truck. The driver of the truck struck the engine’s midsection at the pump panel and pushed it side up onto 2 wheels. The engine slid through the eastbound lanes of the intersection, across 10th, where it hit a turn lane pole, several brick pillars, a wrought iron fence and a large pile of rocks. Before stopping, the rear end of the engine swung around and hit the traffic signal, sheared it off its base which caused the traffic pole to fly completely up and over the engine – landing in the street. The combination of the brick pillars, fence, rocks and the base of the pole puncturing the underside of the engine caused significant damage to the engine. According to IMPD on scene, Family Video had placed the rocks and fencing in that space due to the number of collisions occurring at the intersection, subsequently landing cars in their parking lot. Thankfully the engine did not completely flip nor was anyone seriously hurt including the driver of the truck. The crews were shaken but grateful to be relatively unscathed. The driver of the truck was cooperative with IMPD investigators and released from the scene. Per standard protocol a Portable Breathalyzer Test (PBT) was administered on scene to the Engineer (driver) of Engine 20 which registered 0.0. The Engineer is a 22 year veteran of the IFD who has been the Engineer on Engine 20 C Shift for 14 years. This the first time he has been involved in an accident as the Engineer. Engine 20 is a 2010 Ferrara. Engine 20 is IFD’s 3rd busiest apparatus with 5002 responses in 2017. #1 & 2 are Sq. 7 with 5744 and EG27 with 5086.

Sorry for the Face of book link. it has pictures
    http://<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?
    href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Findianapolisfiredepartment%2Fposts%2F1835260123159173&width=500" width="500" height="722" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That truck had to be flying.
    What is up with people blowing lights these days. We see it all the time. To me if you hit an emergency rig in the intersection you have basically blown the light.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I can't get the link to work to see the photos but I'm guessing that wasn't a half ton Silverado that hit that pumper truck, especially with no injuries. Glad no one was badly hurt.

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    What is up with people blowing lights these days. We see it all the time. To me if you hit an emergency rig in the intersection you have basically blown the light.

Well that and the moron on their phones who are TOTALLY clueless to what's going on. If he couldn't see a 40+ foot fire truck what chance would a kid on a bike have?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

Who says it was the other driver at fault? Emergency vehicles have to clear intersections when running emergent.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    "Cleared the intersection" does not mean the the fire truck had the green light. "Clearing the intersection" means creeping lane by lane across the intersection asking (begging) for the right of way from other drivers. Operating an emergency vehicle does not give a person the right to run red lights.

From the looks of things it is a miracle that no one was injured more severely.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    "Cleared the intersection" does not mean the the fire truck had the green light. "Clearing the intersection" means creeping lane by lane across the intersection asking (begging) for the right of way from other drivers. Operating an emergency vehicle does not give a person the right to run red lights.

From the looks of things it is a miracle that no one was injured more severely.

Actually emergency vehicles are authorized to run red lights. The driver just has to exercise due regard when doing so and not just blow through the intersection.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Reserving judgement until more facts are known. Dash cams can be your friend.

Over 20 years ago in Evansville they had a young lady killed in a collision with a firetruck. Traffic at the intersection had stopped to let the firetruck through and the lady (presumably) did not see the truck and went around stopped traffic into the intersection.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville

Yes I was driving Engine 20. Thankfully the driver of the small pickup truck was not injured. The crew of the Engine is all good to go also. Big relief for me. The Engine is a piece of equipment that will either be repaired or replaced. It did the job and kept us safe. I will stand for a Board of Chiefs to hear the findings sometime in April. Best case senario, and what will most likely come out, is this was an unavoidable accident.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Yes I was driving Engine 20. Thankfully the driver of the small pickup truck was not injured. The crew of the Engine is all good to go also. Big relief for me. The Engine is a piece of equipment that will either be repaired or replaced. It did the job and kept us safe. I will stand for a Board of Chiefs to hear the findings sometime in April. Best case senario, and what will most likely come out, is this was an unavoidable accident.

I'm glad you guys are all ok.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Good news all are well.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    @ Frank and Churchmouse... Thx much for the thoughts. It was a crazy ride. slow motion kicked in during the accident... it seemed to last forever.

Top Bottom