Legal fees from 10+ years ago... What are your thoughts...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I have a neighbor that received a statement/bill/invoice from an atty for services performed over 10 years ago. The case was complete, paid the atty (he thought), and all wrapped up.

However... he receives a statement/bill/invoice for an outstanding balance for $700+change. Hasn't received any on-going statements, letters, etc. requesting payment for over 10 years.

Question to the :ingo: legal eagle brain trust... Could that be legit?

I thought it was interesting to say the least.

Thanks,

B&G

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I seem to recall a scam like this. Have them contact the law office directly using numbers found in legitimate sources like a phone book, not the letter that was sent to him.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow.

Yeah, I'm suspicious.

If there was a written agreement, 10 years MIGHT still be within the statute of limitations. More likely, the requirement for payment of money had a 6 year statute of limitations. (This area of law isn't nearly as clear as it should be.)

Have them check it out directly.

(Having gone through a couple iterations of changing billing systems, sometimes things get kicked out of billing software that were never intended to go out. So, for instance, if the attorney had written that off years ago, a new system might see that as a legitimate bill and send it out.)

ETA
    Wait.

"Phone book"? Is that still a thing. ;)

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Wow.

Yeah, I'm suspicious.

If there was a written agreement, 10 years MIGHT still be within the statute of limitations. More likely, the requirement for payment of money had a 6 year statute of limitations. (This area of law isn't nearly as clear as it should be.)

(Having gone through a couple iterations of changing billing systems, sometimes things get kicked out of billing software that were never intended to go out. So, for instance, if the attorney had written that off years ago, a new system might see that as a legitimate bill and send it out.)

ETA
    Wait.

That was my first thought. Billing software update? But come on... 10 years. I told him to ask them for legitimate copies of statements that 'had to/should have' been sent every month (not reprints).

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    $700? That is PERFECT scam money. They send bills for $400-$700 thinking the average person isn't going to fight in court, that would be much more. Call the bluff.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Agreed. I would want at least a statement showing the work done, hours billed, and payments made, documenting the alleged $700 shortfall, as well as some kind of explanation why it took this long to bill this alleged supposed debt.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    $700? That is PERFECT scam money. They send bills for $400-$700 thinking the average person isn't going to fight in court, that would be much more. Call the bluff.

You must hang with rich people. I can’t see me paying such a bill without an explanation.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Wow.

Yeah, I'm suspicious.

ETA
    Wait.

Debt has no statute of limitations. A legally owed debt can only be discharged through the courts. This may not be a legally owed debt.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Debt has no statute of limitations. A legally owed debt can only be discharged through the courts. This may not be a legally owed debt.

I'm sorry, PB, but that looks like a word salad.

There is absolutely a statute of limitations (or more than one, depending on the issue), such that a debt holder has to bring an action within a certain amount of time or they lose it.

If an action IS brought within that amount of time, and a judgment perfected, then yes, they can continue to pursue that judgment until it is satisfied (one way or another).

Totally agree with the last assertion that this may not be a legally owed debt.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, in an INGO coincidence, I got an email at an account I used for awhile when I was running my own office that was (supposedly) from another law firm saying there was a past-due "invoice" to me. Awkwardly, the firm was opposing counsel in case. So, I'm absolutely sure I don't owe them anything.

It was thinly veiled spam. The link was to a .ru site and the actual originating sender was not the law firm's URL.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    So, in an INGO coincidence, I got an email at an account I used for awhile when I was running my own office that was (supposedly) from another law firm saying there was a past-due "invoice" to me. Awkwardly, the firm was opposing counsel in case. So, I'm absolutely sure I don't owe them anything.

It was thinly veiled spam. The link was to a .ru site and the actual originating sender was not the law firm's URL.

Except for any active malware on someones PC (stealing contacts, etc)... is this a bad actor harvesting court case data from some .gov site and emailing out bogus correspondence? That would seem like a lot of effort for a few $.

Top Bottom