• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The transfer case in my 4x4 went out over the weekend. Has anyone ever had that happen to them? It is definitely a sound that will get your attention! Sounds like dropping a bunch of gears and bolts into a high powered blender.

On the road, 250 miles from home. Fortunately was able to limp back.

Took it to the mechanic this morning. I told him I suspected the transfer case, but wasn't sure. One thing was certain, there was a serious mechanical failure going on somewhere in the drive train.

15 minutes after I left the shop he called me back. Said he had it on the lift and removed the drain plug from the xfer case and (his words) "a bunch of shrapnel came out". Looks like I'll be hanging on to this vehicle a while longer. Good news is the new transfer case comes with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. Bad new is the price tag. Holy crows!

Guess that custom rifle build will have to wait a little while longer. :rolleyes:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Buddy of mine had it happen to his '03 Sierra last year. He said sometime before, he had it 4WD and it made some sound like something maybe broke. A few months later he had a hole in the front differential case and a mechanic's bill. I think he bought one out of the junk yard and had them put that in.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I think our friendly Mouse Mod had to replace his GM case a year or two ago.
    Also a friend of mine and Dirtbiker had his go bad about the same time Churchmouse's went out.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Buddy of mine had it happen to his '03 Sierra last year. He said sometime before, he had it 4WD and it made some sound like something maybe broke. A few months later he had a hole in the front differential case and a mechanic's bill. I think he bought one out of the junk yard and had them put that in.

Two weekends ago I drove up to Minnesota, about 450 miles. The entire drive was smooth sailing until I got off the interstate 10 miles from my destination. There was a metal on metal sound from under the vehicle. I got it to where I was going. Next morning I took it in to the shop, but the problem had disappeared. I drove it for 2 more weeks, about 40 miles daily at highway speeds, no problem. Then this past weekend, drove about 250 miles, no problem until I got off the interstate, same noise as two weeks before only worse, much worse.

It's at the shop again today, new transfer case being installed. It's still a nice vehicle, has a lot of life left in it, I didn't want to go the rebuild route. I have about 121,500 miles on it, and hopefully after this major repair should be able to get another 100k.

Lesson learned here. Transfer cases do not have dip sticks, can't check the fluid in them easily like checking oil or trans fluid. So they often get neglected. On vehicles that have over 100k miles, that transfer case needs to be checked and have the fluid changed out. Might save a hefty repair bill. Mine will be $2550, AFTER the $200 rebate that I have to mail in to get back.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I had it happen to me on a 1999 Silverado Z71.
    Just driving to work, there was a loud noise and suddenly, I only had low gear.
    And that only worked if I put it in 4wd.
    Got it the 3 miles to the transmission shop and got someone to take me to work.
    The shop called later and said it looked like someone had put a hand grenade in my transfer case.
    Not cheap.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Two weekends ago I drove up to Minnesota, about 450 miles. The entire drive was smooth sailing until I got off the interstate 10 miles from my destination. There was a metal on metal sound from under the vehicle. I got it to where I was going. Next morning I took it in to the shop, but the problem had disappeared. I drove it for 2 more weeks, about 40 miles daily at highway speeds, no problem. Then this past weekend, drove about 250 miles, no problem until I got off the interstate, same noise as two weeks before only worse, much worse.

It's at the shop again today, new transfer case being installed. It's still a nice vehicle, has a lot of life left in it, I didn't want to go the rebuild route. I have about 121,500 miles on it, and hopefully after this major repair should be able to get another 100k.

Lesson learned here. Transfer cases do not have dip sticks, can't check the fluid in them easily like checking oil or trans fluid. So they often get neglected. On vehicles that have over 100k miles, that transfer case needs to be checked and have the fluid changed out. Might save a hefty repair bill. Mine will be $2550, AFTER the $200 rebate that I have to mail in to get back.

I just realized you said transfer case. My buddy's was with the front differential. It was still expensive even though it was a used unit.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Hate to hear that. I'd imagine that's a hefty bill.

I rebuilt the 249 in my Jeep last fall. It had around 200k on it so I thought I'd be a little proactive.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I just realized you said transfer case. My buddy's was with the front differential. It was still expensive even though it was a used unit.

Expensive is a very good description. When it rains it pours. My wife and I were having dinner the other night at a local Culver's. A timid 16-year old girl was going from table to table, folks were shaking their heads "no".

Then she got to our table. "Excuse me sir, do you have a red pickup truck".
    "Yes I do".
    "I think I just backed into it"

Eventually her father showed up. Told me he has 3 teenagers and to please let him know the cost instead of turning it into the insurance.

Cars are expensive!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think our friendly Mouse Mod had to replace his GM case a year or two ago.
    Also a friend of mine and Dirtbiker had his go bad about the same time Churchmouse's went out.

Yup. I trashed mine and it was all on me.
    Ingo member (:shady:) got me a rebuild at cost. My son and I installed it.
    These have a special fluid in them and yes you should service it.
    Most people never even service the transmissions let alone the T-Case.

We smoked mine towing.....in 4WH from the Indiana line to Tulsa Oklahoma and back just after the big ice storm. What 08 or so. Never running in less than a foot of snow in the hammer lane at speed pulling a 28' enclosed trailer. loaded. Sometimes we were touching the under carriage and deeper. We were on a mission. Buyer for my 69 Camaro drag car and on to pick up another car. Then home.

When that trip was over it had a slight hum in 4WD. I assumed a universal. I was wrong. While we were waiting for the new box to ship I read the manual.
    "Do not tow at interstate speeds for extended periods" or something like that. And we serviced the entire drive line bi-yearly. Yup, we killed it.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Is it the autotrac/ 246 or another model? Did it rub a hole through the case and then run dry? Every chevy owner should be aware of the issues with the autotrac/246 and address them before they run dry. There are other transfer cases used in Chevys that do not have the same issues.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Yup. I trashed mine and it was all on me.
    Ingo member (:shady:) got me a rebuild at cost. My son and I installed it.
    These have a special fluid in them and yes you should service it.
    Most people never even service the transmissions let alone the T-Case.

We smoked mine towing.....in 4WH from the Indiana line to Tulsa Oklahoma and back just after the big ice storm. What 08 or so. Never running in less than a foot of snow in the hammer lane at speed pulling a 28' enclosed trailer. loaded. Sometimes we were touching the under carriage and deeper. We were on a mission. Buyer for my 69 Camaro drag car and on to pick up another car. Then home.

When that trip was over it had a slight hum in 4WD. I assumed a universal. I was wrong. While we were waiting for the new box to ship I read the manual.
    "Do not tow at interstate speeds for extended periods" or something like that. And we serviced the entire drive line bi-yearly. Yup, we killed it.

I think mine was mostly due to neglect. 121,000 miles and never serviced the transfer case. My mistake. Something to remember going forward!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think mine was mostly due to neglect. 121,000 miles and never serviced the transfer case. My mistake. Something to remember going forward!

Every other year I change out the diff's, the trans, and the case. It is just cheap insurance and you can see any debris if you look. I can not get the pan down off the trans with out taken a bunch of crap out of the way so we do the cooling line deal. Run 2 gallons of fresh into it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Those transfer cases are known for "pump rub". The plate wears a hole in the case and the oil leaks out. I don't know if that was your issue, but it does happen. Sucks to hear your truck broke down. :-(

I have a 07 Yukon that is making noise I have to fix this spring.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I saw an episode of Andy of Mayberry where Barney bought a lemon of a car where the seller had put sawdust in the manual transmission case. Can’t you do that and sell it ? ! ! :D

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Had one go out in my 79 jeep cj-7. Came around a corner and BAM! Trail of oil down the road and a hole blown in the case about the size of a silver dollar. It was a quadratrac with a 304. Took weeks to find a bone yard replacement.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Had one go out in my 79 jeep cj-7. Came around a corner and BAM! Trail of oil down the road and a hole blown in the case about the size of a silver dollar. It was a quadratrac with a 304. Took weeks to find a bone yard replacement.

We have friends at 2 good sized salvage yards. There was not a direct replacement for my 04 Sierra to be found. Wiring harness differences.

Top Bottom