• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm a little irritated at the moment. I want to put up a short 16' long run of fence in my back yard so I did what is required and called 811 to have the utilities marked. I was very specific, asking to be shown anything between the back patio and the fence to the north of it. They decided to mark a power and cable in the front yard and were gracious enough to show me that there is a gas line out back as I suspected. What they didn't bother to show is where the gas line is other than this particular spot. Really? How very helpful.

Does anyone know what the hell this is supposed to indicate?

bE6WPFah.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    No clue what the flag means, but I'm pretty sure you need some fertilizer and overseeding.

(Sorry, can't actually help. What little I remember from geometry suggest that it takes 2 points to make a line. You only have 1.)

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Not always the case, but usually one flag in the middle of the yard is a sign there is no gas line. They usually write "ok" or something like that by the flag or even on it sometimes.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Where is your meter? Also, check the other side of the fence. Often they will mark something at a mid point and also at the property line.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    When you call have them Mark your Entire Lot as well as both neighboring Properties. Have them Flag & Paint both. I learned this after my Backhoe Guy cut a Major Cable Company Line. No, we weren't at Fault, they Failed to mark it. Some Utilities Mark their own, the Locating Companies Mark the rest.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    I'm a little irritated at the moment. I want to put up a short 16' long run of fence in my back yard so I did what is required and called 811 to have the utilities marked. I was very specific, asking to be shown anything between the back patio and the fence to the north of it. They decided to mark a power and cable in the front yard and were gracious enough to show me that there is a gas line out back as I suspected. What they didn't bother to show is where the gas line is other than this particular spot. Really? How very helpful.

Does anyone know what the hell this is supposed to indicate?

bE6WPFah.jpg
    Like others have said they are showing that you are OK (clear) for gas line in the requested area. If you doubt it even a little call and make them come back out to mark it clearly.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thanks for all of the replies. I didn't notice yesterday that the guy had come out to mark the utilities, turns out he came out Monday and my wife talked to him. Apparently the back yard is all clear as several have mentioned. The wife left for Florida Monday and failed to mention it.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Just a heads up, if you do get into a service line, 1" or smaller and its plastic ( yellow, pinkish, orange) you can bend it over like a garden hose and tape it down to stop the gas. The pinkish stuff turns gray like conduit in certain soil conditions.
    I do natural gas work (for the last 20 yrs) if You have questions PM me and we'll talk

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    They’re starting to use clear flags with CLEAR written on them in which ever corresponding color, to avoid just this situation. This happens a lot.

On a side note, I’d LOVE to meet the brainiacs behind putting utilities in people’s back yards...that’s an engineering decision if ever there was one. :wallbash:

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I whitelined my deck project out back and called 811. The guy marked five of the four utilities I was looking for, though I guess the gas one was for clear. I had no idea where that would have come from anyway; we have no gas in the neighborhood. Of the other four, the power line just cut the corner of my project. That was what I thought and all I needed to know, but he took off most of the way across the yard painting and flagging it. He marked two of the remaining ones so badly I hit them anyway. He failed to mark water, and I managed to avoid hitting it, which was good, since there's no water in the back. I would have been better off without him, at least they don't charge.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Phylo, don't worry about it!

Last time I punched an 8" hole in a 4" main, it was no big deal...

...course, I wouldn't really want to try that again.

Nobody died, but I guess the kid that got fired from 811 didn't get a 2nd chance at that sorta thing.

-Nate

Top Bottom