• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A about half an hour ago, my wife got a "cold call" from somebody wanting to install solar panels on the roof of a house she owns.
    Claimed it'll save her 40% on her power bill.

My first reaction was, NO, you're not drilling holes in the roof I paid for and bolting solar panels to it.

I kept telling her to hang up and she finally did.

Are any of you getting "cold calls" pressuring you to agree to this?

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    A about half an hour ago, my wife got a "cold call" from somebody wanting to install solar panels on the roof of a house she owns.
    Claimed it'll save her 40% on her power bill.

My first reaction was, NO, you're not drilling holes in the roof I paid for and bolting solar panels to it.

I kept telling her to hang up and she finally did.

Are any of you getting "cold calls" pressuring you to agree to this?

I go by the motto of if you cold call, you are not legit... and go about my business. Not sure why anyone would consider dealing with someone who is cold calling.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I go by the motto of if you cold call, you are not legit... and go about my business. Not sure why anyone would consider dealing with someone who is cold calling.

That's EXACTLY what I told her.
    I said just a little bit ago "I don't care if they cold call and promise you they're selling eternal life, hang up!".

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Getting a hook set from the get go is the way they work. 40% is a butt load and a lot of female types will be hooked right away.

It sounded too good to be true, especially with the trees she has around the place and adjoining properties.

I'M REALLY GLAD I was here to hassle her into hanging up.

You know Nancy, she too often wants to believe in the best of people and often is too trusting.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I love when they call and tell me that I can lower my credit card interest rate, but when I ask them which credit card they're calling about, they never seem to be able to answer that question.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It sounded too good to be true, especially with the trees she has around the place and adjoining properties.

I'M REALLY GLAD I was here to hassle her into hanging up.

You know Nancy, she too often wants to believe in the best of people and often is too trusting.

That was my 1st thought. But God save them if they mess around.....:):

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    On the subject of solar power, I do plan one of these days to buy some solar panels and design my own solar system with charge controller.

I already have a basic 870 amp hour 12 volt system with deep cycle batteries I recharge with a self designed 6.5hp motor hooked up to a 160 amp Leece-Neville alternator that I can vary the field current to control charge current.
    I use this at my NW Wisconsin cabin in the woods that has little sunlight or wind with a 1000 watt inverter.

To add solar to this will be a fun project when I get around to it.

BUT I WILL NEVER have a solar system that isn't my own on the place!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    On the subject of solar power, I do plan one of these days to buy some solar panels and design my own solar system with charge controller.

I already have a basic 870 amp hour 12 volt system with deep cycle batteries I recharge with a self designed 6.5hp motor hooked up to a 160 amp Leece-Neville alternator that I can vary the field current to control charge current.
    I use this at my NW Wisconsin cabin in the woods that has little sunlight or wind with a 1000 watt inverter.

To add solar to this will be a fun project when I get around to it.

BUT I WILL NEVER have a solar system that isn't my own on the place!

Having built up and sold several battery back ups I wish now I had kept the last one.
    It was sweet.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My rule is don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the phone number. Nobody can guarantee a 40% savings without having seen the install site first or knowing your load profile, etc.

luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy
    I am disabled so I spend the day at home. Just to have fun I tell them, no matter what they are selling " Sorry sir but I am a Arapaho Indian and that is against our religion."

You just KNOW that after I hang up he asks the guy next to his "Is it true that Arapaho Indians can't have solar heat, aluminum siding, life insurance or anything else. ?" Does help break up the day and is mildly entertaining.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    My rule is don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the phone number. Nobody can guarantee a 40% savings without having seen the install site first or knowing your load profile, etc.
    ...........and now I know why you won't answer my calls. I had to many SBRs, and thought of you. Maybe next time. :)

Top Bottom