• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Sorry if I missed the thread about this. Its a dangerous, but kinda odd, thing.
    Deadly Texas parcel bomb attacks 'linked' - BBC News

Two package bombs that left a teenager dead and two others injured in Austin, Texas are believed to be linked to a case earlier this month, police say.
    A 17-year-old boy died after opening a parcel and a woman in her 40s was wounded in the explosion, Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said.
    A 75-year-old Hispanic woman was also hurt when a package exploded elsewhere in the city on Monday, he said.
    Police did not rule out the possibility of all three attacks being hate crimes.
    The two explosions on Monday came days after a similar blast killed a 39-year-old man at his home in the Texas capital.

The sheer volume of packages being delivered at the home nowadays means that its almost impossible to ask people not to open stuff.

Crazy times.

(My gut reaction is that one of the victims will be the actual intended target of the bomber, but the rest will be diversions to make it look "random.")

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have a standing order that the cats are to be let out on the porch to mess with the package before we bring it in the house. Winner either way.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    This wouldn't happen if we didn't have such easy availability of package delivery services. And AR15s. They must be involved in some way or other.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Has anyone said what's being used as the explosive?
    I did some digging and could find nothing. Keeping that info (explosive type) close to the vest seems logical in an ongoing investigation. Although in a lib Mecca like Austin I could see them keeping it quiet if it is TATP or something used by terrorists, they can be PC that way.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I haven't heard any specifics like that, either.

I suspect it is something homegrown, but that's only because the targets don't seem particularly attractive from an organized attack perspective. Not large groups of people. Not celebrities. Nothing that would get a ton of media cycles.

ETA

I can't put my finger on it right now, but this kinda reminds me more of the DC sniper thing. Random. Well, IIRC, a couple of the early victims (not in DC) were not random, but the rest basically were.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Has anyone said what's being used as the explosive?

I Have a couple guesses. One I'm thinking of is highly volatile but would detonate with jarring or could be assisted with even a mouse trap. Made easily in your garage. Although it's highly unstable and dangerous to make let alone transport but it's doable.
    It wouldn't be the number one choice by someone who is "highly skilled" but I don't put too much credibility into statements made by L eo's in an active investigation. They say some things intentionaly when they know it not to be true or accurate.
    I've heard briefly that victims share a link but it's not being released. This may be the key, IF it's a former workmate or employee ECT. However most people don't share an average job ewith someone with the knowledge to remain undetected going to and fro and then add in explossives knowledge.
    Could be a Unabomber type situation too where the nut job is targeting people who work in a certain field (like abortion or the gun industry) which spark a high emotional response in some people.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    i heard these were hand delivered, is that true?

Not delivered by US Postal Service is what I've heard. That narrows it down to small package carriers, local couriers and everyone else. If it's an individual they'll show up on a camera, too many of them anymore.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Where are the demands for TSA style checks for ALL mail and package delivery?:dunno:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Where are the demands for TSA style checks for ALL mail and package delivery?:dunno:

1. These weren't sent (apparently) by mail or 3rd party carrier. :)

B. You might be surprised at how thorough the US Postal Inspector's office is. ;) In my experience (a long time ago) with them, they were pros and knew how to do an investigation, then turn it over to someone else for the accolades. They're more than happy if no one really knows what they do. (Mostly in a good way.)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    1. These weren't sent (apparently) by mail or 3rd party carrier. :)

B. You might be surprised at how thorough the US Postal Inspector's office is. ;) In my experience (a long time ago) with them, they were pros and knew how to do an investigation, then turn it over to someone else for the accolades. They're more than happy if no one really knows what they do. (Mostly in a good way.)

Why let facts get in the way of some good ole fashioned Murrican fear mongering?:patriot:

And I know it will never get traction. People value their right to Amazon Prime, 2 day delivery, more than their security.;)

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Just saw a 'bomb expert' on FOX...said this wasn't a 2nd Amendment problem it was a 1st Amendment problem...:n00b: He said access to the knowledge and materials needs to be considered...so, when terror implement tyranny. :xmad:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Just saw a 'bomb expert' on FOX...said this wasn't a 2nd Amendment problem it was a 1st Amendment problem...:n00b: He said access to the knowledge and materials needs to be considered...so, when terror implement tyranny. :xmad:

Well, that's the logical next step....

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    In 1985, Mark Hoffmann delivered 2 bombs to people. They killed 2. The third bomb went off in his car, wounding him. He was a forger that was counterfeiting documents for the Mormon church. He has be suspected of such and was trying to cover his tracks.

There are a lot of reasons why someone would do this. Too soon to tell for now.

Top Bottom