• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    In my job I have had the privilege of hauling a LOT of vets over the years.

I drove a guy who Captained a minesweeper for I believe Tokyo Bay for the signing of the Japanese surrender.

I drove a guy who was a meteorologist on the team that got to tell Ike when his best windows would be to invade.

I even hauled a guy who was a German soldier in Africa, brought to the US as a POW, fell in love with us and stayed until his death.

The other day I believe I had my first encounter with a "stolen valor" situation. I drove an older gentleman who claimed to have been in the 101st Airborne in Vietnam. So far this is believable as I have met several vets from that era as well. But when I asked him what his MOS was, there was a pause, a bit of a stutter and then, "I, uh, don't remember. I was just 101st, that was my MOS, ya' understand?" I said, "Oh yes,
    I understand completely." After that I changed the subject and we talked about other stuff.

But I've been wondering, as I don't want to judge someone inaccurately. Would all Vietnam era vets understand my question? I met one Vietnam vet years ago who was a sniper assigned to LRRPs, but I don't recall how I asked him the question.

Note: For those not familiar with the military MOS stands for Military Occupational Specialty. Basically, "what is/was your job?"

The guy I was hauling wasn't wearing any pins or medals, so nothing infringed in that way, but the kindof grandiose claim of 101st Airborne set me off a tad. Thus, it got me to thinking about how far back "MOS" would be understood.

Thanks,

Doug

luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy
    I would have thrown him out of the car. Your MOS you NEVER forget. I DESPISE 'fake vets.' I will sometimes bait them, if they say they were a SEAL. Green Beanie, or ANY airborne I will ask "what's the third jump command?" I didn't go to jump school but someone who did will remember those like his mothers birthday.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I primarily buffed floors and emptied trash!

Thats when I wasn’t a door gunner on the space shuttle!

Did I ever tell you guy’s about the time I had Saddam /Bin Landen/ Hitler in my sights and was told by the president not to fire?

I firmly believe that 1 out of 5 “Veterans” you encounter are fake.

I had no idea how many people lie about their service until I retired and reentered the civilian world.

BTW
    Military records are public knowledge DD-214, NCOER/OER, 2-1 ect. Are all available under the FOIA.
    No records are “classified” regardless of what a “vet” tells you.

luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy
    0311 primary, Grunt
    0331 secondary, M-60's

Hell I can still rattle off my serial number, till the late 1960's it was different than your SSN. That is another way to catch the 'hero's.' Ask when they served and what their serial number was.

I even have a neighbor who claims to be a Marine Viet vet but he can't answer a SINGLE question about the Corps, Nam, or boot camp. I just let it go. SOMEHOW he even managed to join the American Legion. His wife is the cook there so maybe that got him in.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Shouldve asked him what he thought of the "81st Airborne" you would've had your answer for sure.

As an aside, I've never once heard my dad say his "MoS" was random numbers/ letter. When asked he would just go "Army Aviation." I think guys of a certain age, aren't caught up on the cool talk, and answer the question the best way someone would understand. I mean for the former soldiers, do you know all the MoS designations outside of your own?

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I spent over a year in recruiting, and over a year now in a Brigade HQ. I've learned a lot of Army MOS numbers, but few in any other branch. In the Army, the first set of numbers is the job field, the letter is the specific job, and subsequent numbers are any skill identifiers within that job. For the first few years when I was in a rifle company, I barely knew any more than my own.

I am 11B3O

11= Infantry

B= Your basic maneuver type guys. C would be Mortars, M (no longer used) was mechanized, Z is senior leader

3O= Squad leader. 1O would be someone not in a leadership role, 2O is a team leader, B4 is a sniper, and there are a bunch more.

I think the term in WW2 was MOS, but it definitely was by Vietnam. Some of the nomenclature has changed. There are no 11K's, 21 series are now 12, etc.

Top Bottom