• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Friday's Powerball jackpot will be an estimated 455 million dollars. The Mega-Millions is $345 million.

Lump-sum amount for the Powerball would be $269,400,000. After all the Federal and State taxes - looking at having somewhere in the 'hood of $160,000,000.

I'd hire a lawyer or two to set up several trusts to receive the money - keeping my name out of the papers.

The trust/s would hire an accountant to help manage the $ in the trust.

I'd resign my job - and my wife would as well.

I'd enlist the services of more than one investment fiduciary to invest and grow the money.

I'd do what I can to hide my winnings from everyone.

I'd donate millions to charities of my choosing - including setting up self-sustaining investment endowments to KEEP giving $ away.

We'd travel the world.

I'd buy land somewhere. I'd have a super custom home designed that would have a basement way bigger than the above-grade house. Secret passages. Secret rooms. Vault room. Be as much off-grid as possible w/ solar and wind power.

I'd inevitably be found out because I couldn't help it and buy/lease several luxury cars and trucks...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Besides the financial mumbo jumbo and some land I would have the sweetest car collection and start racing again.
    The gun thing is a given.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would try to buy me a full square mile somewhere, build a compound and manage it for hunting and fishing.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Wow, you have really thought deeply about it.

My thinking usually goes along with the line of; "I think I will buy a new pickup". 4WD this time.:)

Really though, I would seek out legal help but I wouldn't worry about growing the money. I'd put it in some kind of interest bearing account. Even 1% of the net winnings is $1.6 mil per year. I can live fine on that.

Then I too would resign my job, give money and time, travel parts of the world. I would also square away my kids. They are all grown up now and standing on their own doing fine. Some extra help from dad won't hurt them but would give them some freedom to experience stuff I couldn't do in my younger years.

I believe I would still be the same minimalist person I am now, so buying lot's of stuff wouldn't be my goal. But I wouldn't shy away from a steady diet of firearms training courses no matter the price.:)

And though I wouldn't collect cars like Jay Leno, I'd buy, drive for awhile, sell. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I don't want to die with a bunch of "stuff" my kids need to get rid of.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Hire some people that know what they are doing when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Then off to rent a helicopter and find a cornfield or 2 I'd want to buy and build a couple of houses on. One for me and the future Mrs. and one(s) for select family members/friends.

The house would be nothing spectacular. Maybe 3k ranch with a full basement, 4-6 car garage with atleast lifts. Large pole barn with atleast 2 more lifts, seperate area for washing cars or other things.

The land would have a small wooded area, pond, and would lease out all but maybe 10 acres or so around the house to someone who wants to farm it.

I'd have a few cars - Chevelle would be at the top of the list and after that I really don't know. I would like a big ol truck for giggles but meh...
    Other than that it would be what ever I want to do when ever more or less try to live just off the interest or less.

I would give to charity but wont until I have things situated and can research who would do best with it.

I'd have some fun at work with the people I like letting them pick envelopes with checks ranging from a few hundred thousands to a couple million.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    I would buy a plot of land. Build a sustainable house on it. Fully wired up. A good couple of outbuildings one for woodworking, one for weapons. Equip said outbuildings.

Put the rest into an account, live off of 1% of the return. Hire an accountant. Give 1% to charity. Ensure the kids have fully funded 529s.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I'm not just saying this because I don't play, I honestly believe that kind of money would buy you a lot more problems than it would solve.

However, in the spirit of the thread it might be fun to hire private investigators, attorneys, etc. to find all the dirt they can on the leading gun-control advocates.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've always wanted a real deal pressure suit like the guys that fly the Blackbird spy plane wear. I'd build me a nice house down in Tennessee, with a few big out buildings to pursue my various interests, and I would buy an old streamliner locomotive, like from the 40s or 50s to sit in the yard, those are cool.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I was reading or heard somewhere that the lottos require you to do publicity so staying anonymous isn't an option. I'm sure most/some of folks saying they wish they'd never won stems from that.

Top Bottom