• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Maybe up to 8 vehicles trapped under 95 ton bridge. :( New construction, just set in to place over the weekend.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Watching it here at the shop...Sad...

QFT. These first responder's have a hell of a job in front of them. I can not imagine what they are going to see and have to deal with over the next hours. Thoughts and prayers going out to them and the family's that have lost love ones. :(

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    QFT. These first responder's have a hell of a job in front of them. I can not imagine what they are going to see and have to deal with over the next hours. Thoughts and prayers going out to them and the family's that have lost love ones. :(

Yes. Same here.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    This is what it looked like when they were setting it in place.

Bridge.jpg

News report from just four days ago.

‘Instant’ bridge aims to make a dangerous crossing safer for thousands of students
    [FONT=&amp]BY ANDRES VIGLUCCI
    aviglucci@miamiherald.com
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]March 10, 2018 01:21 PM[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Updated 2 hours 33 minutes ago[/FONT]

UPDATE: The FIU pedestrian bridge collapsed, less than a week after installation.
    Instant bridge? Not quite, but in a single morning Florida International University dropped a new elevated pedestrian span into place over the Tamiami Trail to provide students a safe route over the perilous roadway for the first time.
    Once it’s finished in early 2019, the new pedestrian bridge will link FIU’s Modesto A. Maidique Campus directly to the small suburban city of Swee****er, where the university estimates 4,000 of its students live.
    The rapid span installation was the result of months of preparation. The bridge’s main 174-foot span was assembled by the side of the Trail while support towers were built at either end.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    This is sad and terrible on so many levels.

It is terrible for the dead and the injured, and their families.

The first responders have a gargantuan task ahead of them, working at a horrific scene.

And, that this new technology, implemented to address safety concerns, has failed in such a terrible and dreadful way. As Fargo notes, either this is a huge screwup with this new technology, or someone did something.

I read and watched several of the articles; I cannot imagine what it is like for those directly affected by the tragedy as well as those on the scene trying to sort it out.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    This is sad and terrible on so many levels.

It is terrible for the dead and the injured, and their families.

The first responders have a gargantuan task ahead of them, working at a horrific scene.

And, that this new technology, implemented to address safety concerns, has failed in such a terrible and dreadful way. As Fargo notes, either this is a huge screwup with this new technology, or someone did something.

I read and watched several of the articles; I cannot imagine what it is like for those directly affected by the tragedy as well as those on the scene trying to sort it out.
    That has to be just a terrible scene to work. 950 tons of material and you know what is underneath. Praying for all of them.

I have a basic/working knowledge of what goes into these things from my days back in commercial construction. I am at a loss to figure out how a bridge engineered to withstand hurricanes as well as significant loads with multiple factor safety margins built in fails on a sunny day, apparently under its own weight. At first glance there have to be multiple failures at multiple levels of design and construction for this to even be possible, that or somebody screwed with it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    This is what it looked like when they were setting it in place.

Bridge.jpg

News report from just four days ago.

‘Instant’ bridge aims to make a dangerous crossing safer for thousands of students
    [FONT=&amp]BY ANDRES VIGLUCCI
    aviglucci@miamiherald.com
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]March 10, 2018 01:21 PM[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Updated 2 hours 33 minutes ago[/FONT]

UPDATE: The FIU pedestrian bridge collapsed, less than a week after installation.
    Instant bridge? Not quite, but in a single morning Florida International University dropped a new elevated pedestrian span into place over the Tamiami Trail to provide students a safe route over the perilous roadway for the first time.
    Once it’s finished in early 2019, the new pedestrian bridge will link FIU’s Modesto A. Maidique Campus directly to the small suburban city of Swee****er, where the university estimates 4,000 of its students live.
    The rapid span installation was the result of months of preparation. The bridge’s main 174-foot span was assembled by the side of the Trail while support towers were built at either end.

It seems like the words "instant" and "bridge" don't seem to belong together.

Some company, either the designers or the construction company erecting it made a huge error. Or Fargo's comment "someone did something to it" would be really messed up. Holy cow. That would be terrorism on the next level.

We will find out more over the next few hours, days, weeks. This is messed up no matter what the cause.

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Was watching the news reporting and it appears that this was just a part of the bridge, the renderings they had showed that there was a significant superstructure running the length of the bridge that was supposed to be added. That makes the whole thing make a lot more sense, I was thinking that this was the completed product. Still, shouldn't be something that ever happens.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Watching Fox news. They just showed a video of the front bumper of a vehicle under the bridge. No way anyone make it out of that vehicle. The car is totally under the bridge. It's maybe 2ft tall at the moment. :(

Top Bottom