• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I'm not sayin' we are old, but I'm sayin' we enjoy noodling through small towns in Indiana on a lazy afternoon. We've got a few pieces of furniture we will be purchasing in the months ahead so we started Antique Furniture Shopping in a few local towns...that has proven to be DANGEROUS!!! 1.) We didn't come back with what we went for. 2.) We are now addicted and looking to find suppliers 3.) It's not cheap, but it is really cool and good quality. There is just something about the history and charm of a hand made item that can't be beat.

This is where I need INGO's help. I'm looking for small, family owned stores within about an hours drive of Indianapolis. We found a really cool store called the Marshmallow Monkey in Franklin, IN recently and the couple that owned it were very sweet. It was like finding the Chip and Joanna Gaines of Indiana! We loved walking through their small town, shopped local and made a great purchase. I'm new-ish to Indiana and don't know my small towns well, any suggestions?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Centerville has 3 small malls, one of which is loaded with furniture. It also has a gigantic mall which one could easily spend 3-4 hours in. 15 minutes west, Cambridge City has about 5 malls. Just head east on U.S. 40, they're all right on the highway or a couple of blocks off of it. All told, you could burn up a Saturday and then some with the shops in these 2 towns.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Centerville has 3 small malls, one of which is loaded with furniture. It also has a gigantic mall which one could easily spend 3-4 hours in. 15 minutes west, Cambridge City has about 5 malls. Just head east on U.S. 40, they're all right on the highway or a couple of blocks off of it. All told, you could burn up a Saturday and then some with the shops in these 2 towns.

:yesway:

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Not really full blown antique and not really small town but I rarely leave empty handed. The Treasure Mart and The "Original" Treasure Mart in Kokomo. Yes, just about the same name but different stores. Also check out the Springfield Ohio antique and flea market. Google it. The HUGE show is mid May and Mid September. It is a drive but I can assure you it is worth it. Go on Friday and do not be turned off by the word flea in the title. Amazing outdoor show with some really good deals to be had. Again, go on Friday and give yourself at least 5 hours to walk it and you still will not see it all. It's a big freak'n deal.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Sadly I have little to offer other than a barn that fell down. But sounds like you both have a handle on that already :)
    I do agree... older furniture is better, if nothing else, than the tighter grain on the wood used back then

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    I begged him to take me to a new furniture shop several weeks ago. Was looking for a very specific piece so I thought I would see what they had. I opened the cabinets and drawers and left the store. After looking at old cabinets with dove tails and meticulously crafted drawers the shiny new particle board and nails/glue just didn't work anymore. I'm hoping to find a hutch built around 1890's-1920's or so. I've got it in my mind but finding it is the challenge...and lets face it, part if the fun is the hunt!

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    While not antique old, I am pretty sure my parents still have their old oak hutch custom made by Madison County Cabinets in storage if you are interested. It's very well made.

It doesn't need refinished at all, but you could "antique" it yourself and refinish. Its Around 25 years old.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I used to own an antique store but I have been out of it for several years. You are right that the hunt is all the fun. Good luck.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    The main street in Kirklin, Indiana has several (8) Antique stores handling furniture. It is located about 37 mile from Indy and is a small town with a population under 2K. It is located on 421 You might find it interesting enough to spend a day! The town has pretty well centered on Antique shops and draws from a large area.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    Exit 76 antique mall and Vic's antique mall are off I-65 exit 76-B at the Edinburgh Outlet mall exit.
    Exit 76 antique mall is owned by the vice president's brother, Gregory Pence, who's running for Congress.
    At one time my wife worked for Exit 76 mall it's a huge mall.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I see new stuff these days made out of old repurposed wood that gives the look of antiques with modern fastening. Old furniture that I've picked up over the years almost always was wobbly when I first got it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Late 1800s Sideboard cabinet from Marshmallow Monkey in Franklin.

Norma_Jean_Foyer.jpg

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Exit 76 antique mall and Vic's antique mall are off I-65 exit 76-B at the Edinburgh Outlet mall exit.
    Exit 76 antique mall is owned by the vice president's brother, Gregory Pence, who's running for Congress.
    At one time my wife worked for Exit 76 mall it's a huge mall.

Picked up a small tulp vase there today! Actually, it's a small milk bottle but will do nicely when my roses are in bloom. Love having fresh cut flowers around.

IndyJohn posted a picture of the sideboard we brought home last weekend. Found the lamp today at the Madison Street Salvage in Franklin, IN on the way back from Exit 76 Antique Mall. Apparently the Madison Street Salvage is run by the Franklin Heritage Not-For-Profit that refurbishes homes in Franklin. They salvage from the homes that are too far gone and have antiques and vintage items that come and go quickly. John was in search of three matching salvage doors for a project...and it started this whole thing...

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Come North. We've got 1 antique store here in town. If you go east about a 1/2 hr you're in Amish country and they have quite a few stores selling hand made furniture. Pluse there's a lot of little towns around here with stores.

Top Bottom