• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Oh boy here we go. I finally said yes. It's been 3yrs since we had our 15yr old dog put down. The girls have been hounding me for a couple of years now to get another dog. Well it seems my, reluctant, ok has turned into me okaying 2 dogs. One female (litter runt) and 1 male. They are 6wks old right now. We'll be bringing them home in a few weeks. I've never been around Chihuahuas and I've never owned 2 dogs at once. So here we go, I'm in for it I guess lol. Any specific advice from anyone?? Thanks in advance INGO!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    One of our INGO members has chihuahuas and has them litter trained. That might be something to look into. They get cold easily, so some sort of little blankets or warm snuggly beds would be nice.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    My neighbor across the street has 4 of them. My advice: get used to wearing ear plugs lol. They bark at a wind change, their own shadow, etc.

The fact that you have 2 is normally beneficial. They are pack animals after all.

Feed them seperately. The runt will likely fight to get food if that's what he/she had to do with all the other pups in the litter. Congrats on the pups.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My mom ended up with a couple of them in her later years... no thanks. I am not a hyper person and sure as hell don't want a little yippy hyper dog.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    my mom loved her little dogs, and of course as a dog goes they really are a dog and have dog habits, the ones we had would pick a family member as the alpha and only really respond the that person, they are a needy dog and crave the attention of the alpha, One of the things that helped with dogs was get them a little stuffed animal that they can carry around and "protect", It took about 3 dogs to find this out and of course it could have been the personality of a couple dogs.

But the little stuffed animal was the dogs companion and of course the same size or smaller so they had something they could beat up also.

The nice thing is they are cheap to feed mom always stopped and got a chicken tender or thigh from someplace and they could eat on that for a couple days and it was generally easy on their stomach.

In very cold weather they really need a protected yard to go in. they loose heat fast

good luck and it's a companion just like any other dog

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Oh boy here we go. I finally said yes. It's been 3yrs since we had our 15yr old dog put down. The girls have been hounding me for a couple of years now to get another dog. Well it seems my, reluctant, ok has turned into me okaying 2 dogs. One female (litter runt) and 1 male. They are 6wks old right now. We'll be bringing them home in a few weeks. I've never been around Chihuahuas and I've never owned 2 dogs at once. So here we go, I'm in for it I guess lol. Any specific advice from anyone?? Thanks in advance INGO!

Get a hawk.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The key to Chihuahuas is the marinade, use plenty of pepper, and citrus, the acid in the citrus breaks down the chewy sinuous fibers in the hind quarters better than anything else. Then low (no more than 180*) and slow on a rotisserie, if available it’s best. Two full grown, serves 4.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Chew toys they are chewers.

If the girls wanted them then then the girls feed them take them outside for walks play with them ect.

All you you do is train them with treats. And train them you must.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    We had a Chihuahua that we fostered last summer. She was a mature female, and she was a tiny little sweetheart. The only time she barked was while you were preparing her food.

The litter-training thing sounds like a good idea, since we never really got that Chihuahua totally house-broken. We were getting ready to start using "puppy pads", when she went to her new home.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I must admit, I am no lover of small, cat sized dogs so I'm a little biased.

We have friends that have always had Chihuahuas. IMHO they are dumb, dumb dogs.

Training is possible, but difficult. Theirs do tricks for treats, get in their kennels when told, etc.

But they have always been biters of people outside their immediate family. They have a kid that one of theirs frequently growls and nips at which I'd NEVER tolerate from any dog. They laugh it off and tell the kid to leave her alone.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom