• ...and so much more!
  • Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    In 2005, the federal government set new minimum security standards for state-issued driver's licenses and identification cards under the REAL ID Act. Beginning on October 1,2020, a driver's license, permit, or identification card that does not comply will still allow you to drive and/or vote, but will NOT allow you to board commercial airlines, access military bases, or certain federal facilities.

To begin the process, you must go to the BMV and bring proper required documents. To simplify the site: https://www.in.gov/bmv/2577.htm

Here are some documents to take and what they satisfy:

Take 1 document to verify your IDENTITY:
    *U.S. Birth Certificate
    *Unexpired U.S. passport

Take 1 document to verify your LAWFUL STATUS:
    *U.S. Birth Certificate
    *Unexpired U.S. passport

Take 1 document to verify your SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
    *Social Security card or W-2 form
    *Pre-Printed pay stub (containing name & ss#)

Take 2 documents to verify INDIANA RESIDENCY:
    *W-2 Form or Bank Statement
    *Utility, Credit Card, or Hospital Bill
    *Pre-Printed Pay Stub (containing name and residential address)

Note:
    **Additional documents, such as a marriage license, divorce decree, or court order, will be required to prove all name changes.
    ***Other documents may be required

Whether you are getting a new, renewed, or replaced credential, you will receive your permanent Real ID credential within 14 days of your BMV visit, providing there are no problems. Then you will get your new ID that resembles the old one with a star in the upper right hand corner.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    This is nothing new. When I moved back to Indiana in 2014 and renewed my Indiana driver's license, I was required to produce REAL ID-compliant documentation, and received a REAL ID-compliant driver's license.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    So nice that after having an Indiana drivers license for over 40 years I will now have to prove that I am the one in the license. Thank you George the Second for your paranoia.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    It is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. My mother had to obtain a copy of her marriage license from 1955 so that she would be in compliance. She has no plans to fly anywhere and can't leave my dad due to the stroke he had a few years ago so she has no real NEED to have the Real ID. She refused to listen when I tried to explain to her that this was not something she really needed to do because the people at the BMV told her she HAD to do this.

It doesn't matter, that we had to show our marriage license when our last name changed to change the name on our social security card. I have had to show a marriage license or divorce decree each time I have updated my SS card but apparently the BMV doesn't trust that the SS office did that???

The ID item that verifies your address is a challenge for me as well, due to most of our bills being in my husband's name so the statements mailed here often do not include my name. I don't have a mortgage or a car payment so finally found that my voter's ID and LTCH qualified as the two items needed for that section.

So....I will have to dig out my marriage license if I can find it (or get a new copy) if I ever decide I need to be in compliance so I can go visit my son since it doesn't sound like he is going to be returning to the US anytime soon.

It should be required for voting too if they really want to make it worth people doing it.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Mine expires in 2021, and I don't have a little star so this poses a potential problem for the wife and me in the future if I don't get a "real id" so we can travel by plane.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    got my "gold star" when I renewed in Feb.
    Birth Ceritificate, SS Card, 2 Marriage licenses, W2's, LTCH

The gal wanted to scrutinize my Marriage licenses... Finally said they were legit.

ETA: Divorce Decree was not needed since I didn't change my married name after the divorce.
    You only need to prove the trail of names on documents. Maiden name-married name-married name.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    If you have children, will they need an ID card to board planes (kind of like a child's passport)?

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Note: The birth certificate your parents got from the hospital with your footprints, parents info, and doctor's signature will not work!! You must have one from the state/county you were born in, found this out the hard way.

Since I was born in WI, I had to contact WI to get an official copy of my birth certificate and use my DL as proof of ID so I could use the BC as ID to get my license. :n00b: $20 plus $6 shipping or $40 rush job plus shipping and I gave them the info off my original BC to get a not as detailed official BC.

luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy
    So nice that after having an Indiana drivers license for over 40 years I will now have to prove that I am the one in the license. Thank you George the Second for your paranoia.

Amen. I didn't have a original birth certificate, after 65+ years not many do BUT they wouldn't accept my military I.D. as proof. That has my photo and prints the birth certificate foes not.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    This is nothing new. When I moved back to Indiana in 2014 and renewed my Indiana driver's license, I was required to produce REAL ID-compliant documentation, and received a REAL ID-compliant driver's license.

While the IN DMV will tell you its a REQUIREMENT it is NOT. You can choose to get a noncompliant ID. You have to talk to a supervisor and they make you sign some form saying your id will not be real id compliant etc...

Ita not something the inform people of.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    While the IN DMV will tell you its a REQUIREMENT it is NOT. You can choose to get a noncompliant ID. You have to talk to a supervisor and they make you sign some form saying your id will not be real id compliant etc...

Ita not something the inform people of.
    which I don't understand why they don't. It doesn't cost any more to get the "real ID" vs the noncompliant.

Top Bottom