• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    So I am going to buy a new (to me) pickup. Been looking hard at the Silverado, Tundra and Titan in the 2014-2016 range. I have found some very well appointed trucks in my price range, more than I thought I would find, but most are 2WD. I won't be using this vehicle hard because I don't have reason to, just for general homeowner type shenanigans. I pretty much assumed that most trucks in this vintage would be 4x4, but I guess that's not so. Give me the pros/cons of buying a 2WD truck over a 4x4, other than the up-front purchase price savings.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    So I am going to buy a new (to me) pickup. Been looking hard at the Silverado, Tundra and Titan in the 2014-2016 range. I have found some very well appointed trucks in my price range, more than I thought I would find, but most are 2WD. I won't be using this vehicle hard because I don't have reason to, just for general homeowner type shenanigans. I pretty much assumed that most trucks in this vintage would be 4x4, but I guess that's not so. Give me the pros/cons of buying a 2WD truck over a 4x4, other than the up-front purchase price savings.

My F150 has 2wd traction assist (essentially a poor man's 4 wheel drive). I went that route based on I would actually uses 4x4 a max of 2 times a year on average for possibly a snow event and/or pulling a boat out of the water on a slippery launch. It is a 2010 and I have never 'needed' 4x4 up here. Most people I know own it for those reasons, farm/work related reasons, and/or throw it on at times just because they have it and a hey, why not response.
    4x4 do tend to hold resale value better.
    I'd advise against a thing where you have to get out and manually lock the hubs. If you go the 4x4 route, shift on the fly is the way to go so you would actually use it.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I’d go 2wd if you don’t have a real need for 4wd. It will hall building materials home from menards just the same, cost less, and have less **** to go wrong.

I imagine driving a RWD vehicle in various weather conditions isn’t exactly new to you.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    What SMiller said. Better to have it and not need it than need it and kick yourself in the @$$ because you don't have it. The OG's CX-9 is 2wd, we were out recently and got ourselves in a situation that would have been no problem for awd. That vehicle is getting replaced with an awd.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I have an '01 SD Diesel 4wd. I have no real need for an SD, a Diesel or 4wd I just got a very good deal on it when I bought it 9 years ago and other than stranding me a couple of times due to gelled fuel (yes I was treating it) it has served me well. The handful of times I used the 4wd was VERY handy to have but other than that it isn't used 99% of the time. I'm thinking about getting into a newer truck in a year or two and will definitely get another 4wd for the once or twice per year I NEED it. After all, it is nice on the boat ramps not having to worry about algae under the back tires causing me to be the latest star on "So, you back your truck into the lake!?":rockwoot:

As a side note, I inherited my dad's '07 Chevy half ton 2wd a few years ago and after getting stuck in my neighbors yard on a warm sunny day on a small grassy hill due to the open rearend I decided that at the very least the 2wd NEEDS to have posi track or it will be completely useless if the path is slightly treacherous.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Sand in the back if you need traction help in winter, wibter tires, and you know how to drive rear wheel already. No need for 4x4.

Guess i should add until late last year allmy vehicles for both work and home were rwd only. Including my f250... The m5 had no issues getting around so long as you kept your foot tame :-D

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    As a side note, I inherited my dad's '07 Chevy half ton 2wd a few years ago and after getting stuck in my neighbors yard on a warm sunny day on a small grassy hill due to the open rearend I decided that at the very least the 2wd NEEDS to have posi track or it will be completely useless if the path is slightly treacherous.

This is similar to the situation we got into with the CX-9: slight hill on wet dead leaves over clay. Vehicle sat and spun the tires, pushing it out rutted the lane and was a messy b**ch.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Definitely buy a 4wd. When you need it, there is no replacement. Also, resale on a 2wd will suck.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    we have a Chevy 1500HD, 2WD
    Pulls a 26 ft camper, puts the boat in and out of the water. Very few issues, except winter and as stated above, a little sand in the back and we're good to go. And even winter isn't that big of a deal in Marion County

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm in the "better to have and not need" crowd, we own two 4x4 Ram 1500 pickups. I owned a 79 Chevy 2wd when I got out of the Army in Texas and moved home, I did not enjoy that first winter.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm in the "better to have and not need" crowd, we own two 4x4 Ram 1500 pickups. I owned a 79 Chevy 2wd when I got out of the Army in Texas and moved home, I did not enjoy that first winter.

I presume you're happy with the Ram then? Seems like they are a bit less expensive than the other brands I'm looking at for comparable option packages. I'm not sure what to make of that observation.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I’d go 2wd if you don’t have a real need for 4wd. It will hall building materials home from menards just the same, cost less, and have less **** to go wrong.

I imagine driving a RWD vehicle in various weather conditions isn’t exactly new to you.
    I drove an S 10 for about 13 years and drive an F 150 now .

Never Needed 4x4 but I don't go muddin either .

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I presume you're happy with the Ram then? Seems like they are a bit less expensive than the other brands I'm looking at for comparable option packages. I'm not sure what to make of that observation.

Been very happy with them. I had a 2002 which was a great truck but a bit under powered (4.7L). Bought my 2012 new in Aug of 2013 and it's got 88k miles on it now without issue. I bought my 2013 last summer with 43k on it and it's been great thus far as well.

Mine all get small lifts and oversized tires which puts a bit more strain on the drive train, the Rams haven't complained.

p83iVvzh.png

CuuQDbgh.jpg

Last edited:

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Unless you plan to keep something in the bed, you would be well served with a 4x4. I spin out from a red light even in just wet weather in my pickup. Like phylodog, I had a 2 wheel drive pickup in Texas and traded it off when I moved here. I have a 4x4 F150 and my wife drives an all wheel drive Escape. I don't use 4x4 often but when I need it, I am glad I have it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    2001 Ram 3/4 CTD 4X4, point the truck in the direction you want to go and it goes there along with anything that might be hooked to it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We may only use the selector for how many wheels are engaged a couple of times a year but it sure is nice having it to use. WE have had 1 or more 4WD rigs since the mid 90's. Would not do anything differently.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I had a 2010 Silverado Z71 4x4 and had zero problems with it, sold it at 95k mile for even money to buy a sports car. We currently have a 2013 Silverado W/T 4x4 and have zero problems with it at 123,000 miles. It seems the Tundras are solid, I know nothing about the Titans.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Definitely buy a 4wd. When you need it, there is no replacement. Also, resale on a 2wd will suck.

This right here, better have it and not need it and not have it and need it. And resale, there's a reason why dealers and individuals have to give away 2 wheel drive trucks. 4x4 is a very valuable asset to have

I bought a 2015 Ram 4x4 last year, if I didn't go that route I would have went Tundra, but got a decent deal on the Ram and it's served me well and have known many people with Rams and have ran them into the dirt cause they've had them so long, which is what I was looking for.

A 2 wheel drive is good for a learner, cause it'll teach them how to drive sideways in the snow. First truck was a 2wd Ranger, did everything I wanted it to but was sideways in the winter, got good at controlling a fishtail in the snow and eventually quit driving with weight in the back cause it was more controllable.

Top Bottom