Help me choose a city in South Central Indiana.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I'm:

• planning to move to Indiana soon from Texas.
    • somewhat familiar with Indiana having spent some time at Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center.
    • looking at smaller cities/large towns South and West of Indianapolis.
    • trying to stay out of the Indianapolis suburbs as I don't currently need to work in Indianapolis, but not be too far away.

What cities do you recommend?

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Perhaps a bit farther than you want but look out in the Shelbyville area.

That isn't too far out. I'm coming up there soon to scout things out and am trying to narrow it down some. Would like to be somewhere between the cities and the forests.

Bedford was the city which interested me the most but want to have some options.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    That isn't too far out. I'm coming up there soon to scout things out and am trying to narrow it down some. Would like to be somewhere between the cities and the forests.

Bedford was the city which interested me the most but want to have some options.

Bedford is farther but has hills Shelbyville not so much.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Bedford is great, but those of us who live in the Bloomington vicinity may not live long enough to see the end of the highyway 37 construction debacle. A trip to indy may be a roll of the dice timewise for the rest of our lives. Even the limited amount of alternative country roads are affected with traffic from those attempting to bypass the mess of a highway construction nightmare.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Bedford is great, but those of us who live in the Bloomington vicinity may not live long enough to see the end of the highyway 37 construction debacle. A trip to indy may be a roll of the dice timewise for the rest of our lives. Even the limited amount of alternative country roads are affected with traffic from those attempting to bypass the mess of a highway construction nightmare.

Amen. Getting the stretch of 37 that runs from Bloomington to Indy done is making the Lewis and Clark Expedition seem like a Sunday stroll through the park.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Man there are alot of nice places...I like Danville but it is getting too many uppity wannabee yuppies. Martinsville, Monrovia, Greencastle, Morgantown...all nice areas with towns nearby and country close by. If you don't mind being further out of Indy I always loved the Linton area....lots of outdoor areas.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I was looking at Corydon, down by the Ohio River. Close to Louisville if you need serious medical attention or other big city things, the least amount of winter compared to other Indiana locations, below average cost for housing, close to I-64 so only 2 hours from Indy. Small town appeal, could buy enough property to have my own shooting range, also close to the hills and curves I like to drive occasionally.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana

Thanks. This is the sort of thing I wouldn't hear about just looking at Google maps.

Is Bedford a bedroom community of Bloomington? Lots of IU people there?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Thanks. This is the sort of thing I wouldn't hear about just looking at Google maps.

Is Bedford a bedroom community of Bloomington? Lots of IU people there?
    IMHO, as much as the construction has been plagued with issues, it's moving forward at a good pace now. A significant number of the issues of mismanagement have hopefully been corrected by the recent takeover by the state. It seems the forward progress has accelerated. I see crews working Saturdays on a regular basis. Bloomington to Martinsville should be done by this fall, the next stretch doesn't have a proposed start but I expect it will go smoother than this last. The other issue was the fact that Bloomington didn't want to play nice as far as letting them shut down certain roads etc so it's been a rocky process of building temporary infrastructure and delaying progress to support roadways that should have just been closed. If they had just closed them it would have been a larger PITA but for a MUCH shorter period of time. I'll take shortterm major-PITA instead of longterm PITA.

As far as Bedford; it's definitely NOT a bedroom community of Bloomington. Drastically different, small-town feel, low regulation, low public interference in your business etc. The reason I'm in Bedford is because of the small-town atmosphere but with proximity to interstate access (half-hr away) and big-town shopping/business (Bloomington) if needed. Land is relatively cheap and taxes aren't bad.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I grew up in Columbus. It's starting to get kinda big, but in the right areas still has that small(ish) town feel with the bigger city shops and stuff. My folks still live there. They like it, but they lock their doors these days...

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I live in Southern Monroe County pretty much half way between Bloomington and Bedford, and for me, this is a perfect situation. When I need to go shopping, I almost always head to Bedford. The streets are easier to navigate, plus you're not fighting larger crowds at the stores. If you do have to make the trip to Bloomington for any specialty shopping, it's really not much worse.

In this area, you're also not far from several major metropolitan areas. The South side of Indy is and hour and fifteen minutes away. Cincy is a couple of hours. A trip to Louisville is maybe 90 minutes. If you need to go to Evansville or even St. Louis, those runs aren't too bad either.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I live out in the forest to the south, low population levels. It's great if you like that type of living, but it's not for everybody.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I didn't grow up in Bedford, but its my home now, actually Heltonville, but close enough. Anyway everything said about Bedford is accurate. Bedford has everything one would need without the crap of a bigger city. We are vastly different than Bloomington and hope to remain that way.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am a big fan of Seymour. 50 miles from Indy, 50 miles to Louisville. Good hospital, decent schools. Cheaper then Columbus. We have three gun stores.

Top Bottom