• ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Back in June, I made this:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-best-thing-i-have-ever-made.html#post7142910

Now that GOD has blessed my wife and I with another baby, 3 more months to go!, I decided he needs a stool too. Also, my younger brother had a daughter a couple months ago. So I figured I’d make her one too.

I wanted to go ahead and make these, because once June is here, my wife and I are going to have our hands full.

I wanted to share some pictures and video of me making this. Plus I also wanted to rub it in on the fella in the thread I posted above. If you read that thread, he accused me of buying that stool instead of making it. Jokes on him :)

Wood is here. Cherry and Walnut.
    kbmFgi4.jpg

8E5bnll.jpg

Cutting the spindles to size for the legs:
    oKMNsOo.jpg

Legs cut to size. Found center on both ends:
    mLUQhtn.jpg

Spindle mounted on the lathe:
    GsHhBlG.jpg

Roughed out with a tenon.
    o3Gdw9E.jpg

Making sure tenon is correct size:
    o8O1soq.jpg

Video!
    [video=youtube_share;rqZQMutfCLE]http://youtu.be/rqZQMutfCLE[/video]

Setting up my drill wizard:
    p7xqk1i.jpg

Drilling!
    KK8T59f.jpg

We have holes!
    9NUgK9g.jpg

Legs are finished!
    vyyhtkS.jpg

The cherry seat being glued up:
    ANPFCYZ.jpg

I’ll post up more as I go. The cherry stool will be for my niece, walnut will be for my son.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    You sure are going through a lot of trouble to pretend like you’re making this yourself. Hell, most of us believed you last time. It was the elite few (one?) who saw through your BS.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Looks good. Not a skill I will ever have, and can definitely appreciate it even more for that reason.

It’s really not that hard. Once you get over the fear of sticking something into an object that’s spinning at 3600 RPM’s, it’s actually easy :)

You sure are going through a lot of trouble to pretend like you’re making this yourself. Hell, most of us believed you last time. It was the elite few (one?) who saw through your BS.

:)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Did a little work last night.

I need something to hold the seat. So I took some scrap wood and made a waste block.
    JIc8iMl.jpg

iAzoibr.jpg

Using 2-sided tape to hold it all together.
    F7ESgZN.jpg

I chopped off the corners. Gotta make sure nothing is going to hit the bed of the lathe. And for safety, the live center is pressed right against the work.
    Bk6gcIL.jpg

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    How about starting a project thread when your done so we can show off some wood working ideas and completions.

A thread dedicated to wood working. Can’t wait to see the finish product.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    I would just like to know why you didnt you mortise and tenon the name board? I mean you spent all the time.......oh wait, you're not done with that part yet. I sniff glue, I mean what kind of glue do you use?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I would just like to know why you didnt you mortise and tenon the name board? I mean you spent all the time.......oh wait, you're not done with that part yet. I sniff glue, I mean what kind of glue do you use?

I thought about it. But I haven’t planned on shaping the top of the seat. I had the boards run thru a planer beforehand, so they already have a smooth finish. Plus, in my honest opinion, leaving the mortise underneath the stool seat would look tacky and unprofessional.

I’m just going to hand sand the top to get rid of the tape residue, and put a nice finish on it.

I will only make a mortise if there is a way to remove it. I just don’t like leaving them on the finished project.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    I thought about it. But I haven’t planned on shaping the top of the seat. I had the boards run thru a planer beforehand, so they already have a smooth finish. Plus, in my honest opinion, leaving the mortise underneath the stool seat would look tacky and unprofessional.

I’m just going to hand sand the top to get rid of the tape residue, and put a nice finish on it.

I will only make a mortise if there is a way to remove it. I just don’t like leaving them on the finished project.

Just so we are good, my post was meant as a joke based off your orginal thread. You do some quality work.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Update:

I wish I was able to finish this a lot sooner. Family life got it in way. Plus I tried to get better at the scroll saw, and that’s just a skill I haven’t been able to learn well yet. My father is the scroll saw artist, so I had to wait for him to help me with the signs.

This was my weekend project:

6UMtNZc.jpg

djjRdy9.jpg

tJXXdTk.jpg

I glued the stools up. I’ll give them a few days to dry. Next step will be to sand the bottom of the legs, to level everything up. Then I’ll get my dad to help me with the nameplates.

This is the kind of stuff my dad makes with the Scrollsaw:
    These were all done freehand, no pattern.
    ctheIO9.jpg

nwqsUTJ.jpg

SUIVHDy.jpg

Top Bottom