• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    All new transportation technologies have problems early on. The death rate per mile driven used to be far greater before seatbelts, airbags, etc. Airplane crashes were more commonplace in the 1950s and 1960s. The elevator still holds the record for safest form of transport with only one recorded death from a broken cable/plunging elevator car. And plenty of pedestrians are struck and killed by regular cars.

Autonomous vehicles are going to happen and soon. Clearly the Interstate is the ideal place to start. Commercial OTR trucking is about to get hit with a huge driver shortage, this will help that. I personally would love to be able to get onto I-69 and put on the autopilot to drive up to Indy

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Ya but wait until a hacker hitman programs a driverless to kill his designated target. Let that sink in.....

So...
    An autonomous car hit and kills a pedestrian.

OR...
    Jaywalking is punishable by death.

I say let these robocars at it. I will guarantee you a reduction in jaywalking nation wide.
    An incentive to stay in the designated crosswalk..... finally. And after this catches on, we will see prosecutors that actually prosecute and Judges keeping dirtbags behind bars. Not only punishing people but more importantly A DETERRENT for future criminals NOT to do a crime. Something we haven't seen since hanging horse thieves on sight. Throw in removing Gun Free Zones and promoting Open Carry for everyone as well.

And then - I will guarantee you a reduction in crime nation wide.

This is only the beginning but no -
    They are going to fix this stupid car toboggle and blow my whole dream to hell. :(

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    People walk out in front of cars all the time. Car? Driver? Pedestrian? Who knows.

If, as was reported, she was at fault for jaywalking and the accident was unavoidable, some greasy pocket government critter is still going to find a way to blame the automated technology... That means that my dream of getting in my car, leaning the seat back, closing my eyes, and waking up at sunrise on the beach the next morning is that much further away.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I can see a scenario where, no matter how good the tech or the human driver, if someone steps into the road from in front of a parallel parked truck they will get hit.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    As Professor John Frink so wisely noted: "Elementary chaos theory tells us that all robots will eventually turn against their masters and run amok in an orgy of blood and the kicking and the biting with metal teeth and the hurting and shoving."

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Not exactly "self-driving," but I have a 2017 Ford Escape Titanium with a lot of the same kind of technology as is used in self-driving applications. I bought it brand new in December 2017. It currently has about 5000 miles on it. So far:

The backup camera doesn't always work when I first back out of the garage for the day. It inexplicably works fine after I park it somewhere and restart the car.
    The sensors sometimes tell me that blind spot/cross traffic alerts are not available because a trailer is attached. I have never attached a trailer to this car.
    While driving in moderate snowfall, the front radar sensor gets covered with snow/ice and this disables the adaptive cruise control.
    Sometimes the lane-keep assist works, sometimes it doesn't.
    The forward collision alert likes to go off if I'm driving along and someone isn't getting out of the way quickly enough for the system, making it think that I'm going to hit something.
    The self-parking feature sucks. I can do a better job myself. If someone can't park a Ford Escape, they need to stick to bicycles.

Except for these issues, all sensor-related, I love the little thing. I'd love it even more if it didn't have all of this crap on it, but I got it at a very good end-of-year price with excellent incentives.
    I wish I could just keep the backup camera and blind spot monitor, and ditch the forward collision/lane keep/self parking/adaptive cruise BS.

Speaking of the blind spot monitor, I am turning in my leased 2015 Ford Edge next month, and the ONLY thing to ever go wrong on that vehicle was the blind spot monitor. If not for the warranty, that would have been $800+.

My next vehicle won't have this crap on it.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Ya but wait until a hacker hitman programs a driverless to kill his designated target. Let that sink in.....

https://www.mintpressnews.com/micha...als-agencys-covert-carjacking-ability/225738/

5b63beed23b942f5873f2f7a37a284b4.jpg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    And only as good as the morons that jump out in front of the vehicle.

Hey now, no falling back on the laws of physics when a good technogeek or political agenda is involved! Just like the O advisors said to the auto industry...we're here to change laws that get in the way! :laugh:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    My next vehicle won't have this crap on it.

So...you'll be buying old/used...My 79 CJ7 doesn't have any of that crap on it. Anything built after about 2000 is cursed with the electric phantoms. It's why the new stuff will never become hot rods...no one will be able to fix or bypass the computer collars.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    As Professor John Frink so wisely noted: "Elementary chaos theory tells us that all robots will eventually turn against their masters and run amok in an orgy of blood and the kicking and the biting with metal teeth and the hurting and shoving."

Are we sure he wasn't talking about women because that's already happening?

Top Bottom