• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viking Fires

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 11, 2017
    Clarksville
    Greetings! I'm about to be a first time home buyer and I've been researching some basic ideas to improve the security of my future home. I've complied some basics I thought I'd share and if anyone has any ideas or stories to add it would be greatly appreciated.

Some Basics

• A solid door with a good dead bolt and some sort of reinforcement added to the frame (like the so called "kick plates")
    • Laminate added to windows to make shattering them more difficult
    • Motion sensor security lighting
    • Well trimmed shrubbery to prevent someone from being able to hide near the home
    • Making sure that there aren't items outside that could make it convenient to break in (I.E. ladders on the back of the garage, unsecured tools, bricks) I know my grandfather was bad about having tools laying out on the back porch, like hammers and wrenches, that would help any burglar in breaking in.
    • Home security system (or at least the little sign)
    • A dog with a very loud bark/ BEWARE OF DOG signs
    • Security Cameras
    • Alarms (Either professionally monitored ones or basic ones that attach to door frames and shrill whenever the door gets opened.)

Some questions I have
    • For older homes (1950s/early 60s) is there a way to tell about the durability/strength of vintage doors? I haven't closed on the house yet so I haven't been able to inspect it super closely yet but it appears to be an old wood constructed door. Is there something specific to look for when inspecting?
    • With all the App's today is there any home security type app's that anyone recommends? My parents have security cameras that they can bring up on their TV and are automatically recorded onto a computer hard drive. I was thinking of getting some cameras and was wondering if there's an App or program to be able to remotely watch your cameras from a smart phone? If it's subscription based then something relatively inexpensive.
    • For security cameras do you recommend them being out in the open as a deterrent or concealed in order to prevent a burglar from just being prepared for them and wearing a mask or smashing them?

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    As far as the doors, look for soft spots that could be signs of termite damage or rot, especially around the edges. While it's true you can putty over and paint flaking/chipping wood, it will still have some give to it whereas it should be solid, particularly for solid wood doors. You might also consider adding longer screws that go through the frame into the rough opening of the door. This will make the would be burglar to have to break through the screws and frame instead of just the frame. These should go through the hinges (Most newer doors have one per hinge that are long. Older construction is hit and miss. Whatever was handy.) and the strike plate/deadbolt plate. You also want to make sure that your storm door (If there is one. If not, you may want to consider adding one) is sturdy and has an actual keyed lock, not just one of those flip-type latches,

You might look at the camera-type doorbells (Ring, etc.). Some will automatically call your cell so that you can interact with the person at your door while seeing them. Some will start recording when there's movement, while others only after the bell is rung. Some will record, others just take pictures. Lots of different brands and options that allow you to see who's there with your phone.

mensajess

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Greenwood
    in my old house after every break-in, 4 total (3 detached garage, 1 house), i upgraded everything I could find to do at Lowes. Before the last break-in which was the house, all doors were solid wood and steal clad and had the large wrap around for the knob and deadbolt, gap cover? to prevent crowbars at the deadbolt to frame, strike plates 1 foot long with 4" screws all around. The final break-in they kicked the back door so hard and much the whole door was bowed inwards but held strong.
    Then they smashed a window, setting off the motion alarm.

We have moved and it cost a lot to get out of there, but that is what I ended up at and should have just started with.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Check the doors carefully; even if they're good old solid wood, they're basically exposed on one side to the outside. You may want to replace them anyway. Hollow steel or solid hardwood preferred. I have mine deadbolted into solid steel plates that I routed into the door jamb, which are in turn bolted into the frame with, I think it was 7 ¼x4 wood screws. The wall would be easier to break through.

I'm not a dog person myself, but we had a black lab that, while stupider than a sack of hammers, was protective of her territory. As soon as someone showed up she turned into a wad of teeth, noise, and hate. Being black came in really handy at night.

I like to have mixed cameras, some outside cases I've made from PVC fittings, but also some less conspicuous. Somebody might be the star of the "Let's Watch This Bozo Cover the Cameras" show. Motion sensor lights are good, too. I get to observe the doings of the local cats, raccoons, and possums. All my cameras are wired; that's a quirk of mine. With the right equipment, the wireless ones can be monitored.

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    • With all the App's today is there any home security type app's that anyone recommends? My parents have security cameras that they can bring up on their TV and are automatically recorded onto a computer hard drive. I was thinking of getting some cameras and was wondering if there's an App or program to be able to remotely watch your cameras from a smart phone? If it's subscription based then something relatively inexpensive.

Most of the major DIY camera systems these days will be able to do this no problem. You can also try stand alone cameras like Nest. There are cheaper options like these that do the job indoors: https://www.wyzecam.com/ The Wyzecams work pretty well and are around $25 bucks each. Oh, and they will tell you if your house catches fire !

The SimplySafe Alarm System works well.

I 2nd that. Money well spent.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you are truly concerned with security, replace the exterior doors with steel unless they are obviously solid doors without panels, etc. Relatively cheap insurance as old solid wood doors are not likely to survive a good kicking.

And while you are at it:
    -Replace the stock hinge screws with 3" screws that actually contact the frame, not just the jamb.
    -Install a Door Devil or equivalent. If you dont want to spend that, at least replace the strike screws with 3"(see above)
    -Use a solid door. Preferrably steel. If you want some light, get a door with some decorative glass on the upper 1/4 of the door.
    -Install a peephole or use a Ring Doorbell. (the latter is preferred, they are awesome)
    -If the door has a sidelight ( tall narrow window next to the door) replace the door/sidelight and fill in the sidelight(s) with a solid frame. (or a wider custom door) Sidelights prevent the use of Door Devils because they lack structural strength.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Little things make a big difference on making you a target.

Are your vehicles parked outside or always in?
    Is it always easy to determine if you are home or not?
    Does your open garage door expose valuable items?
    Do you have to expose your long guns to the neighborhood whenever going to the range?
    Can your Midway, Brownells, PSA boxes delivered be seen from the road/walk/driveway?
    Can your big screen be viewed from the road/walk/driveway?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Don’t leave a garage door opener in your outside vehicle

I park outside and upgraded my openers to be app-controlled

and IR floods to help the night vision cams :D

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    About garage door opener remotes.
    I changed mine to the type you use to screw onto the side of the garage, and has a code.
    You can buy a generic one at any home improvement store.

541e6602bb11d_9608b.jpg

It's meant to be mounted on the side of the garage, but it works in your car.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Hi, Viking. Stately Freeman Manor is of similar design. I did the following:

1. Replaced the door AND frames with Polaris insulated steel doors, get the steel frames so the deadbolt is protected.

2. Equipped all doors with with Medeco locks. Worth the dinero. Maintain your locks. PM goes a long way with locks. Look into door bar for the back door.

3. Got to know my neighbors. Beer is cheap. A break-in is a mess. Many people take looking out for others very seriously. I am fortunate to have neighbors such as this. (Now if everyone would just park in their garages it would be great).

4. Replaced the outside lights. I leave my lights on permanently during night. Motion sensors are great for turkey, deer, neighbor's cat, etc. New LEDs are optimal.

5. There are some excellent security cameras available now. Definitely worth the money. I suggest hidden, especially in the back where they are likely to come in.

6. Do not neglect your windows. Hurricane film is fantastic. If you are handy, cheap to install. I had my done by the dealer.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom