• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    My wife and I have been planning for a year to have a screened in back porch added to enjoy our retirement years. Diana is normally meek, mild-mannered, and a chronic victim of CLS (Chicken Little Syndrome).

This past 10 days, contractor has been busy making that goal a reality. Our house had a 16x20 patio, we added a gable roof and a low wall (2' high) and the rest is screens. 52 linear feet of screens, 5 feet high and 4-5 feet wide between posts. It looks like multiple big screens as we look out.

Carpenters are nearly done. A few hours to go, only a couple screen windows need to be completed. We are excited each day as we see the progress and look forward to morning coffee and a nightly cold one.

At 10:30 last night, Diana heads toward the bedroom. She peers out the back window at our new addition, then closes the blind and returns up the hall to the living room. At the edge of the room, she points her finger at me and puts me in charge of enforcing her mandate:

"Any squirrel that climbs on the new screens, GETS SHOT."

I was so startled, all I could get out was "yes, dear".

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Congrats on the screen room. I have gotten good at replacing screens in our sunroom over years. Lots of different culprits tearing them up. Mostly cats, birds and grandkids.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I have a customer who is a retired executive of a Fortune 500 company. He and his wife live on a beautiful expanse near Brookville Lake. They are some of the nicest, most down to earth and gentle people you'd ever want to meet. She has a horse that is worth all my worldly possessions several times over, and the barn full of trophies to go with him.

She has her own .22 rifle, and the possums and coons don't stand a chance. It's the funniest thing.

Maybe you could get your wife a present, OP :ar15:

Regardless, congrats on the porch. Sounds like your own slice of paradise :yesway:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Congrats on the screen room. I have gotten good at replacing screens in our sunroom over years. Lots of different culprits tearing them up. Mostly cats, birds and grandkids.

And this is why our covered porch/deck is open air. I helped my dad fix screens until I was a pro at it. They are nice. But they are also a pain.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And this is why our covered porch/deck is open air. I helped my dad fix screens until I was a pro at it. They are nice. But they are also a pain.

Pet proof screens are worth their weight in gold. Seriously. I wont install anything BUT them now.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I thought maybe it was something like what we used to call "hardware cloth" a heavy gauge screen.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My wife and I have been planning for a year to have a screened in back porch added to enjoy our retirement years. Diana is normally meek, mild-mannered, and a chronic victim of CLS (Chicken Little Syndrome).

This past 10 days, contractor has been busy making that goal a reality. Our house had a 16x20 patio, we added a gable roof and a low wall (2' high) and the rest is screens. 52 linear feet of screens, 5 feet high and 4-5 feet wide between posts. It looks like multiple big screens as we look out.

Carpenters are nearly done. A few hours to go, only a couple screen windows need to be completed. We are excited each day as we see the progress and look forward to morning coffee and a nightly cold one.

At 10:30 last night, Diana heads toward the bedroom. She peers out the back window at our new addition, then closes the blind and returns up the hall to the living room. At the edge of the room, she points her finger at me and puts me in charge of enforcing her mandate:

"Any squirrel that climbs on the new screens, GETS SHOT."

I was so startled, all I could get out was "yes, dear".

Sounds like instruction to go buy a new gun to me. :D

Top Bottom